autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sorry, we're closed

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Imagining me at 17 like the youth today:

But dad! I can't work. It seems too hard.

Plus, I'm not even sure what sex I am!!

Instant funeral.

RIP PaulMys. 1970-1987.
    I guess it’s a shift in attitudes for both kids and parents. We couldn’t wait to be able to get a job because, well…money. As fortunate as we were to have parents provide food & shelter (and a comfortable life overall) if we wanted gas, insurance and eventually a car (albeit one you were constantly working on to keep it relatively safe & marginally functional) it took money. And it took money to hang out with your friends and do things.

We couldn’t wait to get a learners permit/drivers license as well… and a work permit so you could get a job at 14/15 years old and before that, paper routes (apartment routes were the golden ticket!) I don’t recall any friends that didn’t have some kinda job; car wash, fast food, restaurants, gas stations, department stores/malls…seemed like everyone had an after school/weekend job. Granted the $2.65 minimum wage bought about 3 gallons of leaded gasoline but still, it took money!

It actually took a bit of legwork to get a job. Now, help wanted signs everywhere and still no employees. Without a doubt many kids still have jobs but it sure doesn’t seem to be the nearly universal rite of passage it used to be. Heck, it was kinda a badge of honor to have a ‘cool’ job like a gas station.

This message brought to you by an old guy shaking his fist at the sky Sorry, we're closed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    I guess it’s a shift in attitudes for both kids and parents. We couldn’t wait to be able to get a job because, well…money. As fortunate as we were to have parents provide food & shelter (and a comfortable life overall) if we wanted gas, insurance and eventually a car (albeit one you were constantly working on to keep it relatively safe & marginally functional) it took money. And it took money to hang out with your friends and do things.

We couldn’t wait to get a learners permit/drivers license as well… and a work permit so you could get a job at 14/15 years old and before that, paper routes (apartment routes were the golden ticket!) I don’t recall any friends that didn’t have some kinda job; car wash, fast food, restaurants, gas stations, department stores/malls…seemed like everyone had an after school/weekend job. Granted the $2.65 minimum wage bought about 3 gallons of leaded gasoline but still, it took money!

It actually took a bit of legwork to get a job. Now, help wanted signs everywhere and still no employees. Without a doubt many kids still have jobs but it sure doesn’t seem to be the nearly universal rite of passage it used to be. Heck, it was kinda a badge of honor to have a ‘cool’ job like a gas station.

This message brought to you by an old guy shaking his fist at the sky Sorry, we're closed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

No more needs to be said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't remember exactly how old I was when I got my first paper route. I'm guessing 10-12. I did that until I landed a job at a gas station when I was 15. I think my pay there was $1.25/hr.

6. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    . I did that until I landed a job at a gas station when I was 15. I think my pay there was $1.25/hr.
    16 for me. Got a whopping $4.25! (1986).

Regular unleaded: 88 cents per gallon.........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Likes chilly, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Not just the youngins….. though I did see one explain why they younger crowd doesn’t want to work. Talked about a family member working at McDonald’s and when they became a manager started college and paid for it with McDonald’s earning. Not doing that working at McDonald’s today.

Also not just the youngins. Google working age male not working. Lot’s of Men 25-54 did not come back or just join the work force.

You average $21 an hour 40 hours a week you make about $3500 a month. You take 800 for taxes medical and such Leaves you with $2600. Where I live you can’t afford rent, food and gases with that.

Another problem is moving back in with parents. No rent to pay, doesn’t affect parents as their mortgage doesn’t change or better yet it’s paid off.

So no mortgage no car payment…. Food aid and pretty much your living not working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've had many arguments over the years about minimum wage being too low. If you can't pay a man or woman enough money to pay the bills then the government (ME) will have to make up the difference.
    Memphis leaders talk about how great FedEx is for this city and while that's true for the executive, the thousands of part timers that load and unload planes don't make enough money to pay their bills (at least they are trying), so must seek government assistance. This means I am washing cars (paying taxes) to subsidize FedEx's shortfalls.

I am a liberal at heart
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

10. Likes chilly, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    That's the problem ... THEY are not paying their bills, YOU are.
    Wish I had taken my blood pressure before and then after revisiting this thread. Thanks alot for the reminder Don (lol)
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

12. Likes Don M, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Yeah so just imagine the money you save if you stayed at parents home for some time...give some money to the for food and such but save the rest.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    I think it's a big mistake making your children leave the home at 18. The smart move to me is to get a bigger house (maybe 2 houses on a few acres). Let the young adults start contributing. Once they have children there are built in babysitters. Most grandparents by this time can see the mistakes that they made with their own children. It's common to see immigrant families live in multi generational homes. I think that is a very wise move. The children learn to respect their elders and nothing can replace the wisdom (and love) that a grandparent brings.

As a added bonus you don't have to find someone to feed the dog when you travel

14. Likes Coatingsarecrack, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I think it's a big mistake making your children leave the home at 18. The smart move to me is to get a bigger house (maybe 2 houses on a few acres). Let the young adults start contributing. Once they have children there are built in babysitters. Most grandparents by this time can see the mistakes that they made with their own children. It's common to see immigrant families live in multi generational homes. I think that is a very wise move. The children learn to respect their elders and nothing can replace the wisdom (and love) that a grandparent brings.

As a added bonus you don't have to find someone to feed the dog when you travel
    But what if your family are a bunch of assholes?

(Legitimate question).
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

16. Thanks opie thanked for this post
    Likes Flash Gordon, chilly, opie, bbmach, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeC View Post
    Same crap in Ontario, Canada. A lot of businesses close because they can’t get workers. Someone hit the right word “ENTITLED “.
    When I worked after school I got 60 cents an hour and was happy to have it for spending. My first full time job after graduation paid $58.00 a week. Those were better times. I was always thankful of a job.
    Me too. Besides throwing newspapers I learned how to work on bicycles. Was nice to earn a few bucks patching tires and repairing bicycle chains. Nothing like having folding money in your pocket

18. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    But what if your family are a bunch of assholes?

(Legitimate question).
    You physically assault them into submission. Never said it would always be pretty

20. Likes dlc95 liked this post
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast