autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sorry, we're closed

Quote Originally Posted by Bosko View Post
    Chilly.....how long ago was this?
    I retired December 31st, 2015 so it was probably in 2014 or 2015

If they did it in an interview they were certainly going to do it at their desk while they were supposed to be concentrating on case files and in the court system, errors in case processing were not looked on kindly by the judges and court administration

I bet I had more pissed off people grieve hiring decisions the last 2-3 years than the 8-9 years proceeding

The state changed their retirement tiers in the late 2000s and my hiring pools for entry level positions went from 75-100 applicants per job to 20-25 per job and the quality of applicants went to hell

The benefits were gutted and no pension plan was offered, just an opportunity for a 401k type plane as well as medical so it was just not as appealing as it was prior to the tier change

After the change I had LOTS of women with prior state service in tier 1 and tier 2 apply to get back into state service to get their high 3 for retirement and many of them had almost zero computer skills as they left state service before that was a thing

It got harder and harder towards the end to find qualified people who had the skills and actually wanted to work, not just show up for a paycheck

2. Thanks Bosko thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95, Flash Gordon, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It boggles my mind how anyone can think answering a text is okay during an interview. I guess folks lack common sense. The fact is that the phone shouldn't ha've even been turned on.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

4. Likes Bosko, chilly, dlc95, Flash Gordon, DUBL0WS6 and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

and so it goes.......planet Earth....203?......the end.......LOL

6. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bosko View Post
    and so it goes.......planet Earth....203?......the end.......LOL
    Reminds me of the old Zager & Evans song, "In the Year 2525" where they progress through time into a dystopian future

8. Likes Bosko, PaulMys, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Phone should go to silent, as well as any smartwatch.

10. Likes chilly, dlc95, Flash Gordon, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    It boggles my mind how anyone can think answering a text is okay during an interview. I guess folks lack common sense. The fact is that the phone shouldn't ha've even been turned on.
    I tried instituting a no phones at your desk policy and collected all phones first thing in the morning

That lasted about 15 minutes

I got in trouble for that one after all the whiners contacted HR

It amazed me the last couple of years how HR got so soft and so wishy washy about stuff like this, they simply didn't want to deal with disgruntled employees and possible backlash so productivity plummeted and the divide between the actual workers and the "there for a check" people grew wider and wider

About six months before I retired the court announced some drastic changes for 2016 due to the huge shortfall in the state budget and a lot of people who were qualified to retire but were hanging on for a few more years just said F it and retired at about the same time I did

The court never recovered from the huge loss of knowledge and dedicated work force and my friends who were left behind haven't stopped complaining to this day about how terrible the morale and productivity is

12. Likes Bosko, dlc95, Flash Gordon, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    It amazed me the last couple of years how HR got so soft and so wishy washy about stuff like this, they simply didn't want to deal with disgruntled employees and possible backlash so productivity plummeted and the divide between the actual workers and the "there for a check" people grew wider and wider

The court never recovered from the huge loss of knowledge and dedicated work force and my friends who were left behind haven't stopped complaining to this day about how terrible the morale and productivity is
    If you changed "Court" to "Department," and you are pretty close to what I was experiencing. With us, it was personnel shortage, stemming from a 'hostile.' turned 'toxic,' turned "LETHAL" working conditions. Employees who "fled" from the Chief and his den of snakes (like-minded administration) had spread the word about the working conditions. that and the fact that the Chief like to "weed out" anyone who he felt was "Less than PERFECT" (in his opinion), left us with a "pool" of candidates (pool = less than 5 per recruitment drive) that were ALL of course, less than perfect in the Chief's eyes, so NO ONE would get hired. *IF* by chance, someone would get hired, they never lasted long, as a direct result of the above mentioned conditions.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

14. Likes chilly, dlc95, Flash Gordon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    If you changed "Court" to "Department," and you are pretty close to what I was experiencing. With us, it was personnel shortage, stemming from a 'hostile.' turned 'toxic,' turned "LETHAL" working conditions. Employees who "fled" from the Chief and his den of snakes (like-minded administration) had spread the word about the working conditions. that and the fact that the Chief like to "weed out" anyone who he felt was "Less than PERFECT" (in his opinion), left us with a "pool" of candidates (pool = less than 5 per recruitment drive) that were ALL of course, less than perfect in the Chief's eyes, so NO ONE would get hired. *IF* by chance, someone would get hired, they never lasted long, as a direct result of the above mentioned conditions.
    For me that handwriting was on the wall the day that HR called all department heads over for an unscheduled meeting

It was all hush hush and we were clueless and waiting for the worst

The topic was the court's new policy on marijuana legalization and marijuana use in the workplace

I ended up having to go back to my division, gather everyone around me, and tell them that while they couldn't possess or smoke pot in the workplace, the court would condone its use before work and at lunch, as long as you didn't come to work under the influence

That was about the last straw for me, telling my people it was OK to do something that I spent my entire adult life completely avoiding and that was a crime a week before

16. Likes Bosko, dlc95, Flash Gordon, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can point the finger at different generations as to who is more lazy.

Before I left my last position in July (same employer still), our #1 overtime person was around 700 hours of overtime for the calendar year and is under the age of 25. Maybe he’s the exception, idk.

I also just saw a news report that around 48% of 18-29 year old adults are living with their parents. So that’s probably part of the way people are able to avoid working.

Covid changed things for sure. No clue how the people that choose not to work are getting by, my guess is that some are selling stolen goods as retail theft has exploded over the last couple years. Then add in the PPP loan scams that happened all over the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

18. Thanks 4getgto thanked for this post
    Likes Bosko, chilly, dlc95, Flash Gordon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, we're closed

My dad said “I pity the next generation”

I say the same thing but it’s pretty much a knee jerk reaction to everything going on around us

I’m not sure anything is different now than it was 100 years ago or will be in the future

I’m not talking about politics, although you look at any ancient civilization and their political system and the power, corruption, and mayhem is still there, just adjusted for time and space

I’m referring to human nature

We have been murderers and saints and everything in between for millennia

There has been lazy and industrious in every generation

We want to try and simplify it by blaming a particular generation but it’s just not that simple

We see all the slacker millennials and gen Xers simply because they make themselves visible by virtue of social media

We are so fixated on them it’s easy to miss the 20 something’s that are out there that were raised right and that I would be proud to work beside and call a friend

The only problem with the young go getters was they excelled and moved up and on into higher range positions so it was a constant conveyor belt of hiring and training

Honestly at the court I found some gems in my hiring that were early to mid 20s and I turned away a lot of older people who had prior state service and were just coming back to try and get a higher “high 3” to calculate their pensions from

The youngsters at least were computer literate and many of the “verge of retirement” applicants didn’t even use email and couldn’t hack the test in Microsoft core products

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Likes Bosko, PaulMys, dlc95, Flash Gordon, opie liked this post
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast