autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: paint peeled off customers car when removing 3m tape! customer is asking to pay for damage

Quote Originally Posted by jeff79 View Post
    would having them sign a "release" form truly release me of all liability in this situation? It seems like if you damage someones car you are still responsible to fix it,if its your fault. Or is this not correct?

also what if she refuses to have the work done by a mobile tech and insists on a bodyshop?
    Isn't getting them to sign a release at least worth a try? If you do work for a truely litigious client, there is nothing that will stop them from suing you. You cannot stop someone from suing you. Whether or not they win is a different question.

If that is the case, then you will only pay what it takes a mobile tech to fix it. If she insists on the body shop, she pays the difference. Stand firm on this if the difference is significant.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: paint peeled off customers car when removing 3m tape! customer is asking to pay for damage

Quote Originally Posted by skwidd View Post
    But that is not how it works. You have to fix it and that's it. She doesn't get to make money off of you.
    I agree completely and already sent an email saying i would repair the damaged area via mobile tech in good faith. Do you have any idea what a reasonable cost is for a mobile tech to touch up the area? A guy near me wanted $250.. seems like maybe a $100 fix at most, no?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree completely and already sent an email
    saying i would repair the damaged area
    via mobile tech in good faith.

Do you have any idea what a reasonable cost is
    for a mobile tech to touch up the area?

A guy near me wanted $250..
    seems like maybe a $100 fix at most, no?
    No...not really.
    Professional auto-body repairpersons/painters have a
    pretty good handle on the accuracy of their estimates.

It be interesting, at least to me, to find out how
    much you charge, and expect to be paid, for your
    headlight restorations.

And:
    Good luck with that email you sent.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Bobs right, that color has to be blended into the surrounding panels to make the color match. You really can't mix paint and have the exact color. Then every time you shoot your base you have to clear the entire panel. We usually don't spot clear coat in. So the hood, fender, and grill etc will be blended with the base and everything re-cleared. That's where the body shop is getting the estimate Bc they are trying to do it right. A guy could just feather back the fender shoot a color that matches close and re clear the fender but you will see a color difference with the surrounding panels usually. Hope this makes sense.

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Punch View Post
    Bobs right, that color has to be blended into the surrounding panels to make the color match. You really can't mix paint and have the exact color. Then every time you shoot your base you have to clear the entire panel. We usually don't spot clear coat in. So the hood, fender, and grill etc will be blended with the base and everything re-cleared. That's where the body shop is getting the estimate Bc they are trying to do it right. A guy could just feather back the fender shoot a color that matches close and re clear the fender but you will see a color difference with the surrounding panels usually. Hope this makes sense.
    Kind of overkill for a 12 year old car don't ya think ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NextLevelDtail View Post
    Kind of overkill for a 12 year old car don't ya think ?

Ya you could say that. I guess it depends on the owner and what they can live with. I hope they work it out for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    No...not really.
    Professional auto-body repairpersons/painters have a
    pretty good handle on the accuracy of their estimates.

It be interesting, at least to me, to find out how
    much you charge, and expect to be paid, for your
    headlight restorations.

And:
    Good luck with that email you sent.

Bob
    i charge 50-60 bucks for a year warranty on both headlights and expect to be paid 50-60 bucks..

would you mind explaining how the damage is worth anywhere close to 250 just to touch up? id love to know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Punch View Post
    wouldnt that entire panel not match the rest of the car then? It seems like anytime you repaint any part of the car, whether its a little chip or entire panel, its not going to match the rest of the car. If this is correct then repainting an entire panel wouldnt even make sense

Post Thanks / Like

You clear coat the entire panel but you only blend or fade your base partially into the existing color.. You can just paint the one panel if you like but just keep in mind that matching the paint that is on there may slightly differ from the surrounding panels. It can be done though man. I hope she says just go ahead and paint the one panel and move on. Her eyes may never catch the color change if there is one.

Post Thanks / Like

would you mind explaining how the damage is worth anywhere close to 250 just to touch up? id love to know.

wouldnt that entire panel not match the rest of the car then? It seems like anytime you repaint any part of the car, whether its a little chip or entire panel, its not going to match the rest of the car. If this is correct then repainting an entire panel wouldnt even make sense
    Someday you may come to understand the differences
    between people being classified as a Professional...and
    those that are considered to be fly-by-nighters...in any
    given occupation/career-field. Or maybe not.

Speaking of flying:
    I'm outta here.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast