autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: paint peeled off customers car when removing 3m tape! customer is asking to pay for damage

Quote Originally Posted by Jbirk View Post
    The reason it did not happen on both sides is that something was different on the side it happened to. Ask the customer for BOTH body shop estimates for the prior work. Run the CAR FAX, too.

I think the left side was painted before. As for paint work, the body shop is full of crap that it is oxidize and won't match because of that. If it is oxidized, it is single stage paint. Either way if paint work is done, the entire car should be polished.

If you were in my area, I would offer to help out polishing the car except I would be fearful some crazy pealing would happen when a DA pad goes over the fragile paint.

You are going to have to pay to fix this...
    Thank you for your insight and for this post. It is truly appreciated.

I will request a copy of the work done prior. Isn't the fact that paint is oxidized prove that it's single stage? If so, doesn't that release me of liability?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: paint peeled off customers car when removing 3m tape! customer is asking to pay for damage

Quote Originally Posted by Detail-Impressions View Post
    It maybe possible that the previous insurance repairs have a lifetime repair warranty/guarantee?
    Quote Originally Posted by 09FrontierNoVA View Post
    Indeed. All my paint repairs have come with a lifetime warranty. Be sure to check this out.
    thank you for this. I will find out from the insurance company if the paint has a lifetime warranty

Post Thanks / Like

OMG, is this thread still going? Pay for the fix and move on all ready.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcleod52 View Post
    i dont have a $1000 dollars to fix this.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcleod52 View Post
    The OP is asking for advice and insight…nothing wrong with members contributing

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeff79 View Post
    i dont have a $1000 dollars to fix this.
    Where are you located?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with those that have suggested to look into "insurance repairs". Both your insurance company and/or the body shop will ALWAYS give a lifetime (of current vehicle ownership) warranty on their repairs. If the vehicle changes hands they'll not stand behind it, but to the same owner they always cover it.

That being said... the paint didn't fall of by itself. The work done by the OP cause it, to some degree at least. That is NOT to say however that had the owner tried to work on their own vehicle as many of us here do, and say mask it off to buff it out that the very same thing would not have happened.

That is where it would get 'foggy' to say the least. The warranty might say that it was covered for life. But then try to back out because the owner (OP in this instance) put tape on it. IMO... that wouldn't hold water, because that paint failed, period. Might not have fallen off before being taped, but in another couple drive through car washes it probably would.

Biggest lesson learned (besides checking for previous paint/body repair) ... "burning tape".

That statement from the body shop, saying it was oxidized.... hmmmmmmm. Clear coat can oxidize just like single stage, just doesn't get all chalky. Yet the fact that it is at all... shows that the paint hasn't been taken care of, period.

Ask the local MB dealership, as well as CARMAX or even your local Chevy dealership who they use for touch ups/PDR repairs. Those guys can blend paint, mix paint, airbrush it and the owner probably would never notice the difference. Especially considering how bad the headlights looked in the first place!

Post Thanks / Like

Call her. Offer her $250.00 cash for her troubles. Take it or leave it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob4092xx View Post
    Call her. Offer her $250.00 cash for her troubles. Take it or leave it.
    The thing is if they agree to pay for it it, they will need to put it back to its pre-loss condition whatever that is.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

She will also need to prove pre-loss condition is better than the repair. Best thing to do is get a quote to fix it, offer that to her and she pays any excess. If she doesn't accept, let her sue you. It will probably be a small claims court and you will present evidence that the fix you offered her is to pre-loss condition and she wants more.

p.s.: And remember, you cannot prevent anyone from filing suit against you.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast