autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: paint peeled off customers car when removing 3m tape! customer is asking to pay for damage

Quote Originally Posted by jeff79 View Post
    attached are the photos.. this is the damage caused after removing the 3m electric tape(same as sylvania headlight restoration kit.) The tape was on the car for approximately 20-25 minutes. Tape was new and the weather was about 80-85 degrees so the tape was probably also slightly warm.

Wow

1000 dollars for a touch up job ay

The car isn't brand new you can get the whole car painted for that lmao.

Your getting scammed, she probably made a deal for a high bid and there going to fix it for 100 bucks. And pocket the rest

That's just touch up you can have that professionally blending and matched for 200$

If you pay this lady any more then 200 your a sucker.

You can not charge someone 1,000 dollars to paint one panel on a 14 year old car none the less.

So the car has how many panels?
    10 if a coupe 12 if a 4 door so that's 14k to repaint the car ?

It's a scam who's painting the car chip foose

I'm painting a quarter of a 24 foot boat to blend for 400$

If I charged someone 1k to fix that I would go to jail.

You don't even need a pint of paint materials would cost under 150$

Just for you to buy and a body shop has all of that ready to go so they can do it at what it would cost you.

Cause they buy in bulk.

Tell her to sue you it will cost her more in lawyers and court cost to take you to court give her 200$ and call it a day

Post Thanks / Like

Re: paint peeled off customers car when removing 3m tape! customer is asking to pay for damage

I dunno man.. it doesnt look like when my painters tape peeled paint. I dont have a picture, but it was like peeling plasti-dip, kinda rubbery. Yours kinda looks jagged, almost like your backing plate might have made some contact. I think i see primer there, but its hard to tell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKorch630 View Post
    Something to think about, what's your technique for pulling off tape? Pulling straight up, or at an angle?
    i always carefully pull it straight down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NextLevelDtail View Post
    Wow

1000 dollars for a touch up job ay

The car isn't brand new you can get the whole car painted for that lmao.

Your getting scammed, she probably made a deal for a high bid and there going to fix it for 100 bucks. And pocket the rest

That's just touch up you can have that professionally blending and matched for 200$

If you pay this lady any more then 200 your a sucker.

You can not charge someone 1,000 dollars to paint one panel on a 14 year old car none the less.

So the car has how many panels?
    10 if a coupe 12 if a 4 door so that's 14k to repaint the car ?

It's a scam who's painting the car chip foose

I'm painting a quarter of a 24 foot boat to blend for 400$

If I charged someone 1k to fix that I would go to jail.

You don't even need a pint of paint materials would cost under 150$

Just for you to buy and a body shop has all of that ready to go so they can do it at what it would cost you.

Cause they buy in bulk.

Tell her to sue you it will cost her more in lawyers and court cost to take you to court give her 200$ and call it a day
    i completely agree. It definitely appears(based on the price of the quote) there was some deal worked out to get more from the insurance company. Thank you for your post it speaks alot of truth. The price is beyond absurd. attached below is the quote i was forwarded by the customer from the body shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jbirk View Post
    Did you examine the paint?

Is the orangepeal (texture) different than the rest of the paint?
    How is the color match of the bumper vs the rest of the paint?

Is the bumper single-stage and the rest of the car clear coated? This would be a dead give away it was painted.

^^^ These are your best clues it has been repainted.

You never said it was done by Maaco, and truth is they do some very good (and a lot of terrible) paint work.

They have three (3) paint packages... Basic, Preferred, and Premium. Basic is NOT durable and has only a one-year warranty... They rate it only one (1) star for durability! Basic is nothing but junk enamel.

The preferred uses a single-stage urethane, and they rate it three (3) stars for durability. ONLY their two-stage premium service is clear-coated. They give it a five year warranty.

Now, here is the thing. To owe someone money, you must legally be negligent. Simply put, there has to be a breach of duty that caused harm (i.e. property damage) to another party.

They would need to show Duty, Breach, Causation, Damage...

Sounds to me like they have a Causation & Damage laid out, but the damage may be a bit high. You are only at most required to restore the vehicle to its pre-loss condition anyway. First thing to do is run a CarFAX on that vehicle. If you can demonstrate it has been in an accident involving the bumper you are practically off the hook... the next step is to get a third-party (expert witness) to declare there was inferior work done to it (i.e. Single-Stage vs. Clear-Coated). At that point, you would operate in good faith and agree to bring it back to its pre-loss, post-accident-repair condition.

i.e. Another quick single-state enamel spray job at a place like Macco. Being they will do a whole car for $400, how much do you think they charge to spray a bumper? $1000 is excessive.

As for the rental you should be paying for a comparable rental if you are paying for repairs. You might come up with some split or something.

Personally, even if not negligent, I would take some responsibility and offer a reasonable settlement, but $1000 is pushing it too far for a 10-year-old already cheaply repainted bumper. They are probably quoting for blending into adjacent panels, etc! It would be different if it were a new Mercedes with factory paint, and you smashed that bumper into something...
    thank you for this post. please see the pictures i have attached above. Im not an expert in paint touch-up but my guess is that there was no clear coat.

Post Thanks / Like

You DO make every customer sign a release before any work is performed? DON'T YOU?

I don't even do detail work professionally and I make even friends sign a boilerplate form that agrees that all responsibility for ANY damage is accepted by the vehicles owner. And that I will be free from any responsibility to repair or "make new" any damage done by me or on my property for any reason.

Won't sign? SCRAM!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldmodman View Post
    You DO make every customer sign a release before any work is performed? DON'T YOU?

I don't even do detail work professionally and I make even friends sign a boilerplate form that agrees that all responsibility for ANY damage is accepted by the vehicles owner. And that I will be free from any responsibility to repair or "make new" any damage done by me or on my property for any reason.

Won't sign? SCRAM!
    Possible you could post an example of the 'boiler plate' form?

Thanx...

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jbirk View Post
    I watched Undercover Boss, Macco, and would NOT want to get any part of a car painted there.

The CEO clearly doesn't want to pay the people right... it is all commission. Then you have locations saying things like "My goal is to get every car in and out as fast as possible; not every dent has to be 100%" then they put their workers under pressure to perform to their non-existent standards expecting great work, yet the way they pay if an employee does the job right they will not get enough volume of cars done in a day to earn a living wage. For dents for example, they allow only half an hour!

Then you have them sanding and applying bondo for a "little ding." PDR would be so much better for half of these things!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfnoMzkZnx8

The CEO says they don't cut corners, but it is clear from ALL those workers and bosses that they do!

THAT was quit an eye opener!

When I watched that, all it did (for me) was to confirm everything I thought and knew about 'them.'

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have a look at the pics theres areas of paint still left inbetween the areas there aren't and the darkened areas of bare metal indicates scraping. No ways removing tape caused that damage, backing plate caught on the edges whilst it was spinning. Someones not telling the truth and blaming it on tape.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    Possible you could post an example of the 'boiler plate' form?

Thanx...

Bill
    I second this!!

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast