autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: paint peeled off customers car when removing 3m tape! customer is asking to pay for damage

Quote Originally Posted by jeff79 View Post
    would having them sign a "release" form truly release me of all liability in this situation? It seems like if you damage someones car you are still responsible to fix it,if its your fault. Or is this not correct?

also what if she refuses to have the work done by a mobile tech and insists on a bodyshop?
    I want a Ferrari I don't have one if your willing to get it fixed she should play nice.

Also do you just do headlight restoration ? Do you have insurance or you just work out of your car.

Or are you really an established buisness

Post Thanks / Like

Re: paint peeled off customers car when removing 3m tape! customer is asking to pay for damage

would having them sign a "release" form truly release me of all liability in this situation? It seems like if you damage someones car you are still responsible to fix it,if its your fault. Or is this not correct?

also what if she refuses to have the work done by a mobile tech and insists on a bodyshop?
    IMHO:
    These questions, and many other concerns that have
    also been brought-up, should have already been
    handed-over to, and already being processed by:
    Your Business' insurance agent.

That's the person that you will have designated
    as the steward for your Business...Not a bunch
    of us well-intentioned "oopsy-daisy-experts"!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NextLevelDtail View Post
    I want a Ferrari I don't have one if your willing to get it fixed she should play nice.

Also do you just do headlight restoration ? Do you have insurance or you just work out of your car.

no just headlight restoration and work out of my car and advertise locally. its a small time weekend gig while im still in school. its been slow lately tho. Never needed insurance since i always tape up the area so theres really no way for the car/paint to get damaged.. unless the masking tape damages the paint.. which i would have never thought could have happened. Either way its a paint error not in an error in worksmanship so its not covered by insurance either way

Post Thanks / Like

I do not understand... Was there damage into the hood? If not, why are they blending into the hood? Couldn't they just blend the fender into itself?

Why are they removing and re-installing the headlight, the bumper, and the grille?

Also removing and installing the fender and fender liner.

Is all that really necessary? Wouldn't they just remove the fender, paint it and re-attach?

What is the RPR? Does that mean repair? Don't get me wrong, it is reasonable for them to prime it, paint it etc., but what are they repairing? Dings dents?

Post Thanks / Like

See, you said it yourself, it's a "Paint problem," and since insurance wouldn't apply, you're not responsible either. Just because you may feel terrible about what happened doesn't mean you're at fault. You're just the guy who figured out who is really at fault.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NextLevelDtail View Post

only do a mobile service restore the headlights. its a decent part time job but can be slow sometimes as its a 1 shot thing. i charge around 60 bucks to restore both lights with a year warranty and advertise locally via deal sites and flyers. NOt a big or established business.

i emailed saying i would hire a mobile tech to repair the area in good faith. havent got a reply yet so we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbirk View Post
    I do not understand... Was there damage into the hood? If not, why are they blending into the hood? Couldn't they just blend the fender into itself?

Why are they removing and re-installing the headlight, the bumper, and the grille?

Also removing and installing the fender and fender liner.

Is all that really necessary? Wouldn't they just remove the fender, paint it and re-attach?

What is the RPR? Does that mean repair? Don't get me wrong, it is reasonable for them to prime it, paint it etc., but what are they repairing? Dings dents?
    i honestly have no idea and didnt understand how that quote matched the repair in anyway. hopefully someone can explain

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VP Mark View Post
    You did nothing wrong here, but it was still your tape that removed the paint, factory or not. I would try to find a more affordable way to fix it if possible, but you are still responsible.

On a second note, why are you operating a business without insurance? Garage keeper's liability insurance is super cheap. Imagine if this was a more costly repair and you were on the hook for it.
    i offered to hire a mobile tech and am still awaiting a reply. We will see how it goes.

What can i expect to pay for the "garage" insurence, where can i get it, and would it even cover something like this?

Post Thanks / Like

IMO that is not your fault, no way should painters tape strip the paint off her car. Shp probaly had some cheap paint job or repair job and now she is trying to get you to fix it. Tell her what you think is fair and leave it at that, if she takes you to small claims then maybe you can get an expert to back you up .

Post Thanks / Like

I've had the same happen to me (paint flaking off) on my OWN vehicle.

It was from doing a quickie rust repair late in the summer (just to get by until 'next summer'). The 'next summer'... taping and sanding, etc...went to remove the tape and most of 'last summers' paint came off with it.

Cause: POOR prep on my part!

Same think with painting the walls in the house. Ya tape off edges, paint, remove and many times the old paint comes with it. Again, cause? POOR prep.

Maybe this will give some ammunition to fight with.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

that is what she is expecting. for my insurence company to pay the body shop, not her directly. Im sure there was some kind of deal worked out at the body shop between them because the quote is so high
    But that is not how it works. You have to fix it and that's it. She doesn't get to make money off of you.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast