autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Took my wheels to the local tire shop

Quote Originally Posted by TurboToys View Post
    Save yourself a headache of going to court and possibly losing for any number of reasons, and go to local wheel repair places, get quotes on repairing the wheels to new condition and present it to the guy at the shop.

While you are there go over what the wheel shop does to repair a set of wheels and mske them like new, because if I put a set of oem and a set of repaired and reconditioned to oem spec wheels in front of you, you wouldnt know the difference with a good wheel repair shop
    Here in lies the problem, they are different. We have harsh winter and warm summer where I live and now I do not know wheel repair but what if that were to affect my wheels in the future. Also, are you giving me a ride to work and being my chauffeur while my car is sitting on blocks in my driveway?
    2010 Honda Civic LX-S Crystal Black Pearl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisCoupe View Post
    They should definitely pay for refinishing or new wheels..

My wheels are 100% curb rash FREE after 36,000 miles and i intend to keep them that way for as long as possible.
    That was my exact same approach with my first newer car. Maintain it as is and make it only look better.

I think a lot of people on here are getting caught up in the repaired vs oem wheels debate. It does not matter about cost, that is for the guilty to worry about. I have an issue with something being factory oem and no longer being that way due to another person's fault.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BradsDetailing View Post
    Here in lies the problem, they are different. We have harsh winter and warm summer where I live and now I do not know wheel repair but what if that were to affect my wheels in the future. Also, are you giving me a ride to work and being my chauffeur while my car is sitting on blocks in my driveway?
    Youre worrying about never scenarios. What do you mean what if something happened to you wheels in the future, and why would they not include the cost of a rental car in the repairs?

Honestly you can do what you feel, ive been through yiur situation here with a set of wheels worth 3500, so I know what you should be worrying about and doing to get it resolved, but if all you keep doing is worrying about getting from a to b, and cant think to include a rental in the repair price, and then wondering if your wheels are going to suddenly blow apart from minor repairs, then there isnt much else to say. It sounds like you have your mind made up that you want brand new wheels for what is basically minor damage.

Its not unheardof for a judge to rule in favor of another party because one was being unreasonable. Or he may just rule they only need to take care of cosmetics up to a certain dollar amount.

Just same same as if you were to get hit, you wont get a brand new car for minor damage done to yours, its a car, if you drive it it will take some kind of damage

Post Thanks / Like

Just same same as if you were to get hit, you wont get a brand new car for minor damage done to yours, its a car, if you drive it it will take some kind of damage
    I would agree, that's how insurance (and likely a judge) would look at it, repair to "as-new" or "insurance quality". It sucks, but that's how it works.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like whenever I get nice wheels, I'll be plasti-dipping the crap out of them before I take them to a tire shop!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tnecniv View Post
    Looks like whenever I get nice wheels, I'll be plasti-dipping the crap out of them before I take them to a tire shop!
    In the future I would go the route of just talking with the manager and having the wheels inspected and taking pictures and developing a trusting relationship with one another as some have stated.

Post Thanks / Like

Youre worrying about never scenarios. What do you mean what if something happened to you wheels in the future, and why would they not include the cost of a rental car in the repairs?

Honestly you can do what you feel, ive been through yiur situation here with a set of wheels worth 3500, so I know what you should be worrying about and doing to get it resolved, but if all you keep doing is worrying about getting from a to b, and cant think to include a rental in the repair price, and then wondering if your wheels are going to suddenly blow apart from minor repairs, then there isnt much else to say. It sounds like you have your mind made up that you want brand new wheels for what is basically minor damage.

Its not unheardof for a judge to rule in favor of another party because one was being unreasonable. Or he may just rule they only need to take care of cosmetics up to a certain dollar amount.

^This, Last time a guy tried to take me to small claims court he came out just under $4k poorer for the effort and I got to keep his BMW in the judgment. I just brought a competent attorney who pointed out some language in the repair order and estimate that the gentleman had signed prior to us originally beginning the work.

If the shop brings an attorney, admits to damaging the wheels, and proves that they made an effort to have the wheels professionally repaired in good faith but you unreasonably refused. You may find yourself holding on to your damaged wheels and a bill from the shop's attorney for their fees and court costs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2.ooohhh View Post
    ^This, Last time a guy tried to take me to small claims court he came out just under $4k poorer for the effort and I got to keep his BMW in the judgment. I just brought a competent attorney who pointed out some language in the repair order and estimate that the gentleman had signed prior to us originally beginning the work.

If the shop brings an attorney, admits to damaging the wheels, and proves that they made an effort to have the wheels professionally repaired in good faith but you unreasonably refused. You may find yourself holding on to your damaged wheels and a bill from the shop's attorney for their fees and court costs.
    This is small claims.

If I do damage to your car worth $100 and offer you $50 "in good faith" that does not mean the judge will consider granting me the case

Post Thanks / Like

Alloy wheel repair only takes a couple of hours. You won't be out of a car for weeks. It's done all the time where I work and the repair always comes out flawless and have never had an issue with a repair failing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BradsDetailing View Post
    This is small claims.

If I do damage to your car worth $100 and offer you $50 "in good faith" that does not mean the judge will consider granting me the case

My example was SMALL CLAIMS just b/c your claim is small doesn't mean that the total court costs incurred will be small. The majority of the cash he paid out of pocket was to my lawyer. His original claim was bickering about a few hundred dollars in towing and storage for his broken car. I got to keep the car b/c I was owed the non paid mechanical service and that's how mechanic's leans tend to always go in this state.

You say it's $100 in damage, if his attorney calls a wheel repair professional(who fixes wheels for a living) to the stand who then testifies it's only $50 of damage and that's what the shop based his offer on then you may all of a sudden find yourself at the wrong end of this case and end up paying for the shop's attorney and the witness. Right now you need to be figuring out what several other competent wheel repair shops would charge you to refinish the damaged wheels so you can counter with estimates on paper showing more damage or repair cost.

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast