autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Took my wheels to the local tire shop

It looks like maybe they swapped out your wheels? That's a hell of a lot of damage in a short amount of time,looks like some touch up on it? I guess they were on cruise control the rest of the day and you showed up? Who knows?

Post Thanks / Like

Next time you need to have tires mounted, come out here to NJ, we have a good place. Sheesh, it'd be easier for you to drive to Tire Rack in South Bend.

I was talking to a guy who couldn't believe I go out of my way to go to a specific tire shop (the only place I will go to). Your experience is why.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan K View Post
    Are you sure they didn't swap out any of your wheels? From the pics (I'm viewing on an iPad, fwiw) some of the damage does not look fresh. Is that corrosion? We're your wheels previously touched up?

Maybe someone saw the opportunity to upgrade their wheels, thinking that you would not notice.

I'm inclined to agree with this theory and willing to bet that some scumbag there switched his wheels for yours and mounted new tires on them....

Keep a watchful eye for other Honda's that frequent this business......

Your photos are clear enough and the guy who told you they weren't is probably a good place to start looking...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. That makes my blood boil.

I'd get a quote from a wheel refinishing center - the cost of repair and powder coating - and take it back to the garage.

Sent via mobile device.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

The first thing that came to mind was that they swapped wheels. What a scumbag...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I would tell them you are filing the small claim, or find a lawyer buddy to help you. If your photos are time stamped in anyway, there is no question they should repair them.

I don't know the law in your area, but you are typically entitled to the fair market value of the property at the time the incident occurred. I'm not sure you are entitled to replacements, but at least damages for the costs to bring them back to the condition they were originally in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan K View Post
    Are you sure they didn't swap out any of your wheels? From the pics (I'm viewing on an iPad, fwiw) some of the damage does not look fresh. Is that corrosion? We're your wheels previously touched up?

Maybe someone saw the opportunity to upgrade their wheels, thinking that you would not notice.
    Their shop is relatively small and I don't see that happening, but it is a possibility.

Some of the lugs have rust, which I already knew about, and some of the tools they were using left some rust markings that can be removed with my fingernail. Regardless the damage was not there before they serviced my car.
    2010 Honda Civic LX-S Crystal Black Pearl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow06GT View Post
    Hopefully you paid with a credit card. If so, call your credit card company and file a dispute. Email them pictures of the damage before and after. They will automatically put a hold on his account for the total amount until it is resolved. At this point it will not take long for the owner to figure out what he is going to do.

The very best that they will do is send them out and get them refinished. You live in a fairly large city so it shouldn't be hard to find a company that does wheel refinishing.

It is a pain, but you have learned a very big lesson. Just like detailers, don't go to a place just because they have the cheapest prices. This is why you build relationships with certain places and stick with them.
    I paid with cash, but I have their receipt as well as they have video recording he stated in an email and at least one sign on the property.

Refinishing is not an option because it is not as they were before. Getting htem refinished is having refinished wheels and not whole wheels. The summer and winter temps where I live vary greatly and it would not surprise me that refinishing them would not last the life of the wheels as a whole. BUt thank you for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I got to tell you, you have to be PICKY about where you take tires to get mounted if your going to be a detailing enthusiast. Places love to gouge up your wheels and hammer lead metal rim weights all over them.

This is sort of funny - because I JUST had something similar happen to me last week. The difference is - where I take my tires to be mounted. I'm not going to Discount Joe's Tire Tent.

I just bought 4 tires from Tire Rack. In 2012 I had my wheels powder coated brilliant silver by The Wheel Collision Center - a first class place for this type of work. Mounting tires isn't their main business - but they will do it if you pay $$$.

So, they are the ONLY people I let touch the wheels. I don't let them even take them off the car - I bring the wheels to them. That way I don't have to worry about the lug nut holes or barrels getting scratched during installation of the wheels to the car.

So, I brought them my 4 wheels/old tires & 4 new tires to mount and balance. They were all clean enough to eat off of. They know I'm a picky SOB as all 4 wheels were pretty much perfect except one little scratch I pointed out to them. So, about an hour after I dropped the stuff off I get a call they scratched one of my wheels....

Since they are the powder coaters originally of the wheels - they were going to refinish that particular wheel for free again.

So, it was no big deal to me. It just took a few more days. I got my wheels back with the new tires and they are all perfect. I realize stuff happens, and since they brought it to my attention and offered to fix it for free - I was fine with it. Since they originally coated the wheels - the match is perfect. All is well.

Now, it's a huge hassle to bring my wheels to this place. I have to jack the car up on 4 jack stands (which can be precarious enough), then pull the wheels and clean them. Then I have to lug them an hour and 20 minutes from my house to have tires mounted at this place. Then I have to go back, pick them up, then remount the wheels on the car on the ground (which isn't too easy in a single car garage), and then lower the car and torque the wheels.

It would be a LOT EASIER just to pull into Sears or some place and plop down a credit card and let them handle the whole deal. But, I know that will likely get me scratched wheels with lead weights hammered all over them that may or may not be balanced correctly.

The moral of this story is whenever ANYONE has to touch your car - choose wisely. Think long and hard about anything that can go wrong. Ask yourself - will they stand behind this? If something goes wrong - can they / will they make it right?
    The mechanic who touched my car was moving awfully fast and not being cautious in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellspawn View Post
    I generally do not keep factory tires more than a few days or a week - lowest bidder you know. I may be that guy, but I take a brand new car into the shop, that's what better come out. No refurbish, touchup or the like. I'm very pleased that I have 2 shops I can go to and not worry about it. Big chain places, pssh.

That reminds me, add another replaced wheel to the count before I got wise - NTB/Big O/some other crap) I had a 3 year alignment program with them, waste of time and money. 2-3 return trips sometimes to get things right.

Well, put on a level kit and took the truck in, 715 miles on it, an alignment head 'popped off' I saw it happen from their customer window. The tech lied, the manager backed it up even though he wasn't back there.

Long story short, I went up the ladder on the phone to their corp headquarters and got a brand new wheel installed at MY CHOICE of place, my alignment program $$ back and a formal apology from all involved. The store manager wanted the damaged wheel (chipped paint in 2 places in the edge) I told him no. I said you are just going to go sell it and I'll do that myself to make up some lost gas.

I don't expect to have my butt kissed or anything like that, but treat me nice and don't lie or break stuff, I'm the best most loyal customer you will want, if you lie, be careless or don't respect my property, look out.
    Agree'd

Quote Originally Posted by cfiiman View Post
    ^^^^ This ^^^^

OMG, what a colossal screw up on their part, thank goodness for your photos. They need to buy you BRAND NEW wheels IMO.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    I still can't figure out why you left the tire-place to begin with...without first taking photos of the wheels...while also lodging a complaint with the store's "employee-in-charge".

Surely these types of damages were clearly visible to all parties involved prior to your departure. {I don't doubt for even a moment that this store has camera(s) on-site}

Bob
    they have cameras

The water they used to check for leaks was black and that got all over my wheels so it's hard to see anything when they were in the condition they were in.

Quote Originally Posted by Charger12 View Post
    It looks like maybe they swapped out your wheels? That's a hell of a lot of damage in a short amount of time,looks like some touch up on it? I guess they were on cruise control the rest of the day and you showed up? Who knows?
    The mechanis was a young man in a hurry and wanting to finish up before they close at 6pm as they stated when I first arrived. They could of been swapped however it's a tiny shop and their mounting area is in plain view behind a rack or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Next time you need to have tires mounted, come out here to NJ, we have a good place. Sheesh, it'd be easier for you to drive to Tire Rack in South Bend.

I was talking to a guy who couldn't believe I go out of my way to go to a specific tire shop (the only place I will go to). Your experience is why.
    I plan on using a major tire shop like tires plus because they have some kind of structure and to watch and talk to a manager next time. Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post

I'm inclined to agree with this theory and willing to bet that some scumbag there switched his wheels for yours and mounted new tires on them....

Keep a watchful eye for other Honda's that frequent this business......

Your photos are clear enough and the guy who told you they weren't is probably a good place to start looking...
    He stated it may look like touch up paint or that there was previous damage, which there was not.

Swapping rims is a possibility, but the shop is so small and the mounting/balancing area is somewhat visible.

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    Wow. That makes my blood boil.

I'd get a quote from a wheel refinishing center - the cost of repair and powder coating - and take it back to the garage.

Sent via mobile device.
    Me too. But, refinishing is not an option. To me if you treat wheels this way, none the less your customer
    s wheels, you can buy me new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Quickstrike32 View Post
    The first thing that came to mind was that they swapped wheels. What a scumbag...
    It's possible, but one of my wheels had a hairline scratch by a valve stem and that one is still on my car.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoney View Post
    I would tell them you are filing the small claim, or find a lawyer buddy to help you. If your photos are time stamped in anyway, there is no question they should repair them.

I don't know the law in your area, but you are typically entitled to the fair market value of the property at the time the incident occurred. I'm not sure you are entitled to replacements, but at least damages for the costs to bring them back to the condition they were originally in.
    Photos are time stamped on my phone and I contacted them soon as I got home and washed my card and noticed the damage. Took pictures right away as well.

The owner is checking their security footage and will get back to me.
    2010 Honda Civic LX-S Crystal Black Pearl

Post Thanks / Like

Man that sucks, sorry this happened to you. I was in your shoes a few years ago but the place it happened at didn't even bink an eye and immediately corrected the damage to my rims. Good luck. I hope it all works out.

Post Thanks / Like

See what they want to do if no cooperation, File a complaint with the BBB. You may never get it resolved but you can at least complain and write bad reviews everywhere possible about that place. Small claims may not be worth $400 in wheels, very unlikely you will be reimbursed for your time. Sucks that it happened and it shouldn't but apparently very few people care or complain that take their vehicle there or the equipment and employees would be replaced with stuff that doesn't tear things up.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast