autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is asking for them to use a certain wrench something that will label you a difficult customer? Sounds like a good idea, but I have all work done at the dealership and I want to stay on their good side for easy warranty repairs!

OP, good luck getting everything settled to your satisfaction.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Took my wheels to the local tire shop

Quote Originally Posted by 2.ooohhh View Post
    The underlined statement is what will likely escalate the shop to getting an attorney involved.(if it was my shop) Before you threatened to "share your experience" this was a matter of the business possibly taking a sub $1k hit to replace some wheels and appease an unhappy customer. Now you've put them on notice that their shop's reputation is on the line, if they have a reputation worth defending they may invest $1k several times over in the interest of protecting it.
    It's only slander or lible if it can't be proven. The shop in this case would look like fools if they tried to suggest what Brad was saying is inaccurate, because they did in fact eff up his wheels and he can prove it.
    Retired Marine - Full time Detailer.

https://www.facebook.com/ExtremeReflections1

Post Thanks / Like

So this begs the question, if you have really nice, expensive aftermarket rims, how do you avoid this situation from happening b/c everyone can accidentally make a mistake. Do you guys that have these types of rims make it a point of speaking with a manager about your concerns before they touch them? I'd be worried if I did that they might just tell me to leave or something, but at the same time I would want to "warn" them nicely to put a careful tech on the job to avoid something like this right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phens82 View Post
    I just read like 115 posts, so I feel the need to weigh in. I agree 100% with the shop owner. Sorry.
    How so?

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    This sucks no matter what the wheels are, OEM's or aftermarkets. I've had gashes put into the barrels of aftermarket wheels and asked "why did they have to use an air chissel to remove the weights?". IMO there has to be a better way, even on $110 a piece aftermarket wheels. I told the manager about this and was cool about and told him "hey, what if these were some BBS' or Volks?". He did offer to pay for a refurbish and I didn't want the tech to get into trouble so I blew it off because it was on the barrel and not the face but said you guys should bring this sort of thing up at the next meeting.

One other thing I do is ask them to use the torque wrench and/or 4 way and NO impact. I will surely be doing this with my Abarth as I have factory forged wheels on it.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using Tapatalk 2
    I'll be looking for a reputable business near me, hopefully a local one, and talk to them and let them know what I am looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Annahra View Post
    Is asking for them to use a certain wrench something that will label you a difficult customer? Sounds like a good idea, but I have all work done at the dealership and I want to stay on their good side for easy warranty repairs!

OP, good luck getting everything settled to your satisfaction.
    In today's world I would be a difficult customer for asking for the norm. But in actuality it is a burden for me to have to ask that in the first place in fear of something like this happening because of people not doing what they are supposed to do.

Thanks for the support!

Quote Originally Posted by cfiiman View Post
    So this begs the question, if you have really nice, expensive aftermarket rims, how do you avoid this situation from happening b/c everyone can accidentally make a mistake. Do you guys that have these types of rims make it a point of speaking with a manager about your concerns before they touch them? I'd be worried if I did that they might just tell me to leave or something, but at the same time I would want to "warn" them nicely to put a careful tech on the job to avoid something like this right?
    I can see something slipping when a mechanic is taking his time. Maybe then I would say a repair for a scratch is fine. Unfortunately in this case, it was an extreme case of carelessness. I know now from talking with others to talk with a manager first to put the mechanic on alert when doing his job. I'm not one to stand over someone's shoulder or be a mean gene, but in todays day and age you have to wake people up a bit unfortunately.
    2010 Honda Civic LX-S Crystal Black Pearl

Post Thanks / Like

Regardless of the job being performed, when paying a business to perform a service you should expect to have the vehicle, item, machine etc. returned to you in the condition it was before the service. That's what your paying a professional for. Nothing less is acceptable. I had purchased a new washer and had it installed by Best Buy, the guy climbed on top of it and dinged up the top. Did I pay $800.00 for a new washing machine to have it damaged during installation, no. And yes, I got a new one.
    I have $1000.00 worth of wheels on my car and I darn sure expect that they not be damaged when I buy new tires. When I bought my GC the 2 of the oem wheels had been damaged when they guy took it off the hauler. I didn't see it until the next day when I was washing it as it was getting dark when I took delivery. Guess what, got two new wheels the next day taken off another coupe on their lot.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

i knew it when i opened the thread. its a shame.

I only go to shops that use hunter road force mounting and balancing machines. they are touch free machines. just google the shops in your area using them. there is no other way around this problem of hacks laying waste to your wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BradsDetailing View Post
    How so?

Since you asked, because in my opinion, your expectations aren't in line with reality. You happen to be an extreme enthusiast/perfectionist, but the legal system is not generally set up to rule in your favor on a practical matter. The wheels still work, check, and can be made to look "like new" by a refurbishing professional, check, so if I was the judge, I'd rule that a fair resolution is for the shop to professionally repair any cosmetic damage. You won't be able to see any difference, or at least a "reasonable" person wouldn't be able to see any difference.

If someone delivered a couch to your house and scratched your wood floor during delivery, do you think the judge would rule that the vendor should replace your whole floor with the exact same flooring you had? Or would she rule that your floor should be repaired by a professional to the point where a normal/reasonable person would not notice the damage?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, and I'm not a lawyer or a judge. This is my opinion, and you probably hope the judge has a different opinion than I do. So, good luck.
    '06 Audi A4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phens82 View Post
    Since you asked, because in my opinion, your expectations aren't in line with reality. You happen to be an extreme enthusiast/perfectionist, but the legal system is not generally set up to rule in your favor on a practical matter. The wheels still work, check, and can be made to look "like new" by a refurbishing professional, check, so if I was the judge, I'd rule that a fair resolution is for the shop to professionally repair any cosmetic damage. You won't be able to see any difference, or at least a "reasonable" person wouldn't be able to see any difference.

If someone delivered a couch to your house and scratched your wood floor during delivery, do you think the judge would rule that the vendor should replace your whole floor with the exact same flooring you had? Or would she rule that your floor should be repaired by a professional to the point where a normal/reasonable person would not notice the damage?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, and I'm not a lawyer or a judge. This is my opinion, and you probably hope the judge has a different opinion than I do. So, good luck.
    1=1 is how I see it. It is the reality of the situation. Brought my wheels in, I should get them back the same way. Too many people let these things go by, people get used to it and when someone expects something fair to be done, it is now considered an extreme act of kindness or going "out of the way", because it is not the norm any more.

All the damage would not be repaired, per the owner.

It's not my fault they damaged the rims.

A floor is entirely different.

If I had to take them to get repaired, I would not take them to a wheel guy that the owner knows. More than likely that person will not do a good job or use the same paint as oem etc.

Also, I am considered a perfectionist by those who do not take care of their stuff. I like to. I like to condition all the rubber on my car. Most people don't. To them I am an extremeist. To me I am not. And in reality, I'm taking care of my things. All judges are different. I'm sure judges will disagree on my case and what I am asking for. But, my case and explanation to the judge, as I said before, is that I am asking for what I had. I did not have repaired rims before. Not even a scratch. 3 of 4 valve caps were stolen; that's theft, or it shows how careless the mechanics are. I should not walk into a shop, get my tires mount and if I get them back how I gave them I should not be impressed. It should be expected.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mg6045 View Post
    i knew it when i opened the thread. its a shame.

I only go to shops that use hunter road force mounting and balancing machines. they are touch free machines. just google the shops in your area using them. there is no other way around this problem of hacks laying waste to your wheels.
    I am fairly certain the sam's club near me has one, or a different touch-less brand. However, they only mount tires if you buy them from the store.

But, thanks for the information. I will use it in the future when I get another set.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BradsDetailing View Post
    1=1 is how I see it. It is the reality of the situation. Brought my wheels in, I should get them back the same way. Too many people let these things go by, people get used to it and when someone expects something fair to be done, it is now considered an extreme act of kindness or going "out of the way", because it is not the norm any more.

All the damage would not be repaired, per the owner.

It's not my fault they damaged the rims.

A floor is entirely different.

If I had to take them to get repaired, I would not take them to a wheel guy that the owner knows. More than likely that person will not do a good job or use the same paint as oem etc.

Also, I am considered a perfectionist by those who do not take care of their stuff. I like to. I like to condition all the rubber on my car. Most people don't. To them I am an extremeist. To me I am not. And in reality, I'm taking care of my things. All judges are different. I'm sure judges will disagree on my case and what I am asking for. But, my case and explanation to the judge, as I said before, is that I am asking for what I had. I did not have repaired rims before. Not even a scratch. 3 of 4 valve caps were stolen; that's theft, or it shows how careless the mechanics are. I should not walk into a shop, get my tires mount and if I get them back how I gave them I should not be impressed. It should be expected.
    Your rims weren't new, they were the same age as the car. Three to four years, judging by the model year in your signature. I doubt you'd want true 1=1 replacements, you want brand new ones. And really? Silver tire stems are a big deal? On some level, I get it, but c'mon, man.

I'm bummed it happened to you, nonetheless.
    '06 Audi A4

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast