autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: da polisher and pads, and whatever else i can think of

Quote Originally Posted by LazyGhost View Post
    Of course, i listed more than you asked. Got carried away I guess. lol. The Megs ultimate polish and ultimate wax that ive already purchased, I reckon ill keep the stuff and use it down the road for when I dont have any paint corrections to do.

Ill be working on my personal vehicles and of course an occasional friends. Of my personal vehicles, one is a black 2011 camaro with glossy orange racing stripes. The paint needs some corrective action to remove light scratches and swirls. The glossy racing stripes have a wax coating on them as well that is swirly. I havent yet researched how to handle the stripes. Ill be making a post about that soon enough.
    My other personal vehicle is a blue 2012 f150 that i purchased used. It really doesnt need a lot of paint corrections I guess. Not too swirly. Not many scratches. There is some touch up paint here and there around the vehicle that was applied before i got it. Im not sure how to handle that during polishing. Im sure ill make a post about that in the near future as well. The major problem with this vehicle is that the finish is very hazy. Its very reflective but very hazy. I had thought it looked great up until i started looking at before and after pics posted on this site. Now im less than pleased with the look of it.
    And the sickness begins......
    Most of us started out this way.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I purchased the updated GG DA last month. It's great and has lot's of power. I sent an email question to GG about pad size and it was recco'd to use only 6" pads, anything smaller and you run the risk of the backplate hitting the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hulatee View Post
    I purchased the updated GG DA last month. It's great and has lot's of power. I sent an email question to GG about pad size and it was recco'd to use only 6" pads, anything smaller and you run the risk of the backplate hitting the paint.
    Thats why you go with a different backing plate. For example when I run 4" pads, I use a 3.5" LC plate. I can see GG telling you to use 6" pads only due to legal reasons, anything smaller on the stock GG backing plate can cause an issue. I threw my stock GG backing plate away when I first purchased my GG6 and replaced it with a smaller higher quality plate from Megs instead.

Post Thanks / Like

The preferred backing plate size for DA buffers seems to be 5" for 5.5" pads and for smaller areas, 3.5" for 4" pads. Now with the new GG 3" you can easily run a 3" BP with 3" pads without dealing with the excess size of the original machine.

Lake Country seems to be the most popular brand for foam pads, offering flat pads, CCS pads, and Hydrotech pads in the previously mentioned sizes. As far as choosing between pads, it's really preference, the flat pads are the cheapest and are tried and true and I figured a great place to start.

The most important part of the job is the prep, so you might want to look into an APC / degreaser and even IronX to completely decontaminate the surface and make your clay job as easy as possible.
    07 Mazda 6i

Post Thanks / Like

Ive got an extra $150 this week to go ahead and order some stuff. I wont be purchasing the GG6 with that money (talked the old lady into buying me one soon).
    Spend some time reading a few well written articles on how to use a dual action polisher correctly..

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, great info

My only complaint about this place is that theres too much great and consistent info. So much in fact, that its impossible to absorb it all without having to come back day after day. Haa!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, great info

My only complaint about this place is that theres too much great and consistent info. So much in fact, that its impossible to absorb it all without having to come back day after day. Haa!
    Welcome to yet another *addiction*.

Never think there is a question to silly, to hard, to early or to late. I was for many years what Mike would refer to a a "car wax mentality". I've been "wax on wax off" since the 70's.

Been using some sort of buffer for 25 years, but not to the level I do these days.
    Done OK, pleased enough with the results, but didn't know nuttin' cumpaird' to da' edumakashun one can git a hangin' round hea-a.

No seriously, I was a lurker for years, would watch Mike when he was working for Megs and now with AG. Catch the spots on Speed and the like but until you get active you don't know what you're missing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    With this style polisher the 5 1/2" pad size is ideally suited and easy to control.....

What other products are you planning on using for paint correction?

Bobby is right on, as far as I'm concerned, and I know all !!!
    At least in my detailing dreams. Is that to weird to dream about detailing, no I didn't think so. I have the GG6 and thinks it's a great machine, excellent warranty, awesome power. And very easy to throw around yourvehicle for a quick detail. Some mention the vibration, pussies, thats all I have to say about that.
    Great machine and the LC flats is what I mostly use, however, just received a package form my fravorite dude in the world, Mr usps man. He brought me a couple of Mcguiar's MF pads. Can't wait to dig into those. Take care.

Peace,

Darrin

Super Member Detail-Impressions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's another option; Meguiars 5 Inch DA Foam Discs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast