autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Black Audi New guy help!

2006 Audi A4 Black. The Audi has swirls, scratches, bird droppings, and water marks.

That is my vehicle that I would love to make look new again. I love this vehicle and want to spend some money in order to make it look. But I want to learn how to do it myself so I don't have to pay someone every time it gets nasty like it is now.

Below is what I have put together on what I know i need to purchase. However, it's incomplete because I'm overwhelmed with the amount of options for products.

Should I buy a complete kits that AG (Wolfgang, Poorboys) offers or put together something special for the Audi?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black Audi New guy help!-untitled-1-jpg   Black Audi New guy help!-img_2905-jpg   Black Audi New guy help!-img_2908-jpg   Black Audi New guy help!-img_2906-jpg  

Mike Phillips

Re: Black Audi New guy help!

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Soljah808 View Post
    2006 Audi A4 Black. The Audi has swirls, scratches, bird droppings, and water marks.
    I looked at the finish of your black car in the attached thumbnail and you're right, it's atrocious!

Kompressor pads work on DA Polishers but they tend to throw little dots of product more than the other style of pads. I would go with CCS, Flat pads or Hydro-Tech pads, they'll all get the job done, more important is using good products and good technique.

If you get the Griot's Garage Polisher it comes with a 6" backing plate from the factory, so you'll want to get 6.5" pads. The GG is best able to keep pads rotating under pressure but it will have an easier time rotating 5.5" pads. You're choice, both will work but if you opt for 5.5" pads you have to get a 5" backing plate.

For chemicals, the paint looks pretty thrashed... you're probably best off starting with an aggressive compound like either M105 or Ultimate Compound, most people state they think the UC is easier to work with than the M105, might want to start another thread and ask for opinion.

Another option would be to go with the Wolfgang Twins, the Total Swirl Remover isn't as aggressive as a true compound but it really works great, has a long buffing cycle and real easy wipe-off, these are all things that are important if you're new to machine polishing.

Plus I've never seen any issues with micro-marring on any paint system using either of the Twins, i.e. Total Swirl Remover and Finishing Glaze.

I like recommending them because the feedback is overwhelmingly positive and I'll include some links to success stories all by people new to machine polishing, take a moment to read their testimonies as you want to tackle this project once and do it right the first time.

Success Stories

Two Part Success Story

New - Wolfgang Twins

Lessons I learned from a Black 2009 BMW 550i

How To Remove Horrible Rotary Buffer Swirl Marks out of a 350Z using the Wolfgang Twins

Proof You Can Do It! - Joe The Detailer - Black Porsche Turned into Black Pearl!

Mike Phillips

This thread goes through everything you want to do to your car using a DA Polisher with lots of pictures.

How to approach buffing out your car for the first time

Post Thanks / Like

Is that a hole in your bumper? Maybe a cover fell off?

Be prepared for OCD once you get it clean and polished. Now that my car is polished, I see every speck of pollen that lands on it and it's bothering me just as much as the swirls did before!

aargh!
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

On my Audi, and with my skill level, I find M105 preferable toi TSR or UC.
    Doug
    2008 Audi A6 S-line

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike thanks for the help.

I will be going for the 5.5 pads. What backing plate would I need? A link would be great.

I also will also get the twins. Will there be anything else I would Need in ordered to make this job successful? Like WG Deep Gloss?

I also noticed the twins are on back order. Any word on availability?

And yes that is a hole. However it's just a cap that fell off and I need to order a new one.

Thanks

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Updated purchase below!

Also my plan is this

Wash

• WG Auto Bathe

Clay

• Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay

Clean, Polish, LSP

• M105
    • M205
    • Menzerna Finish Polish PO85RD
    • Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0

Wheels & Tires

• Meguiars Wheel Brightener
    • Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel

Bugs

• Stoner Tarminator

Does anyone see a problem with my plan? Also anyone see a problem with my pad choice or am I missing a color? I decided to go with 105/205 because the WG Twins are on back order and I want to star ASAP.

Your advice is appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black Audi New guy help!-order1-jpg   Black Audi New guy help!-order2-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

I would add 3 - 6.5" Surbuf pads and you should be set

[TN_Soljah808;485768]Updated purchase below!

Also my plan is this

Wash

• WG Auto Bathe
    Clay

• Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay
    Clean, Polish, LSP

• M105
    • M205
    • Menzerna Finish Polish PO85RD
    • Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0
    Wheels & Tires

• Meguiars Wheel Brightener
    • Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel
    Bugs

• Stoner Tarminator
    Does anyone see a problem with my plan? Also anyone see a problem with my pad choice or am I missing a color? I decided to go with 105/205 because the WG Twins are on back order and I want to star ASAP.

Your advice is appreciated![/QUOTE]
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    So the surbuf pads will be used with the M105? I'm guessing that it's the most aggressive pad.

The question is this. Should I wait for a possible fathers day sale?

Post Thanks / Like

i would consider getting both uc and a 8oz.of 105-the uc will be much easier to work with if your new to polishing-that will give you a couple ways to go

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast