This is an exerpt from a detail write up I did. I know not everyone reads show and shines and I felt this was important, so I decided to make a thread about it. Hopefully it helps out.

I have seen a lot of talk lately about whether paint cleaners are useful, or a worthwhile step in detailing. I personally ALWAY use a paint cleaner when applying a fresh coat of wax, especially after claying. Paint cleaners will deep clean below surface contaminants, and even clean up light marring left behind from claying or some improper wash techniques.

Here is how the paint looked after claying.

I then hit it with P21S on a green BS pad, nothing crazy, just two quick passes with light pressure. Here is a 50/50

And all done

As you can see this step, which took less than 45 minutes to do on the whole truck, greatly improved the overall look of the paint, and made sure the wax will bond properly which will lead to better durability.

Obviously paint cleaners are not going to remove heavy defects or RIDS, but I think people overlook them to quickly clean up light marring and deep clean the paint.