autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Clearcoat Fracturing versus Clearcoat Failure

Pictures courtesy of Jacob aka timaishu
    The term Clearcoat Fracturing by Dave aka tuscarora dave

Clearcoat Fracturing

Clearcoat Failure

More clearcoat fracturing pictures by Jacob

Problem
    When you diagnose paint with clearcoat fracturing, this is an indicator of a problem with the clear layer of paint.

Clearcoat Fracturing cannot be fixed by machine compounding and polishing as the fractures are like millions of stress cracks that run throughout the entire matrix or thickness of the clear layer of paint. Abrading the paint will just make the pant thinner and expose a deeper portion of the fractures.

Solutions

Live with the defect
    Best recommendations are to prep the paint accordingly to insure the surface is clean and smooth, that is clay an polish if needed, and then maintain what lifespan is left in the paint using a premium quality wax, paint sealant or coating.

Repaint
    The other option is to have the panel or component re-painted.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clearcoat Fracturing versus Clearcoat Failure

Hi Mike,

How about this?

*** Image taken from: Cracks in paint(crows feet)? - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum

It seems like they are calling it crows feet. Now would you consider that clear coat fracture or clear coat failure?

Thanks.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Hi Mike,

How about this?

*** Image taken from: Cracks in paint(crows feet)? - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum

It seems like they are calling it crows feet. Now would you consider that clear coat fracture or clear coat failure?

Thanks.

I would continue to call the defect in the above picture and link you shared crows feet or in the old days it was called lacquer checking, or lacquer cracking.

Both Lacquer Fracturing and Crows Feet are both a type of crack or fracture in the paint but have a very different appearance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

Solutions

Live with the defect
    Best recommendations are to prep the paint accordingly to insure the surface is clean and smooth, that is clay an polish if needed, and then maintain what lifespan is left in the paint using a premium quality wax, paint sealant or coating.

Repaint
    The other option is to have the panel or component re-painted.

Mike:

You have articles on glazes and their place in the auto recon/refinishing industry, as well as its use in the "detailing world". Since a ClearCoat paint film is supposedly 'more denser/less porous' than a SS paint film, I was wondering if a glaze would truly be of any help in the CC paint issues that are pictured in this thread.

Seems like now there are plenty of 'less dense/more porous' areas for a glazes to "soak" into.

Of course, a follow up with a wax, sealant, [or maybe one of the coatings(?)], whether a glaze is applied or not, is advisable...as you have stated.

Thanks for any input you may have on this matter.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post

Mike:

You have articles on glazes and their place in the auto recon/refinishing industry, as well as its use in the "detailing world". Since a ClearCoat paint film is supposedly 'more denser/less porous' than a SS paint film,

I was wondering if a glaze would truly be of any help in the CC paint issues that are pictured in this thread.
    First the answer to your above question and that is,

"no"

Once the paint has cracks like seen in the above pictures the paint is now past the point of no return. Applying any type of oily glaze or non-abrasive polish won't do anything to undo the damage or even stop any future cracking....

What I was told by a good friend in this industry as it relates to modern clear coat paints and non-abrasive, pure polishes or body shop safe glazes is that when a clear coat finish is "brand new" either a factory finish or a repaint, and it has not been sanded or cut with an abrasive compound or polish, that at this point in time the clear layer of paint is its hardest, densest and most impermeable.

With time, wear-n-tear and exposure to the elements, the clear layer becomes more open via swirls, scratches, oxidation and interstices which are microscopic cracks or fissures.

The point being that the physical condition or characteristics of new paints change with time.

Someone once asked me if there were any benefits to applying a non-abrasive, pure polish or bodyshop safe glaze to a brand new clear coat and the answer is for the most part "no" except to create a glossy appearance.

But the part most people miss is this...

A brand new paint job shouldn't need anything to make it look good, it should look good right off the assembly line or right out of the paint booth assuming in the case of the latter that the painter is experienced and has his paint process and paint booth dialed-in.

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post

Seems like now there are plenty of 'less dense/more porous' areas for a glazes to "soak" into.

Definitely, the paint is more open and thus liquids and gasses can theoretically more easily pass through the paint.

Applying a non-abrasive, pure polish or bodyshop glaze might help to mask the scratches and improve the appearance of the paint. But since non-abrasive, pure polishes and bodyshop safe glazes are water soluble, the masking effect will be only temporary at best and if the product dries white then it could end up revealing the defects, not hiding them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I would continue to call the defect in the above picture and link you shared crows feet or in the old days it was called lacquer checking, or lacquer cracking.

Both Lacquer Fracturing and Crows Feet are both a type of crack or fracture in the paint but have a very different appearance.

Mike, how much of the "crows feet" can be attributed to the vibration and force of the hood being open/close thoughout the years? Does this vibration and flex shatter the paint/clear/laquer?

Reason I ask is that I come across many years of Honda/Acuras in black with this problem. It is substantially worse on front of the hood with little to none on other panels.
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfOC View Post
    Mike, how much of the "crows feet" can be attributed to the vibration and force of the hood being open/close throughout the years? Does this vibration and flex shatter the paint/clear/lacquer?

Reason I ask is that I come across many years of Honda/Acuras in black with this problem. It is substantially worse on front of the hood with little to none on other panels.

Great question and I don't know.

I had the crows feet cracking problem on a 2004 Honda Passport that we bought brand new and it was garage kept the entire time we owned it so exposure to the sun can e ruled out.

Anytime I see a paint problem one of the things I try to do is figure out the root cause, one thing I look for is if the problem is isolated to

• Horizontal surfaces
    • Hood only
    • Bumpers only

As for vibration or *shock* caused by closing/slamming a hood... it's possible that the impact over time of a hood closing could be related to crows feet scratches but my first inclination would go towards engine heat (over time).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the education. Any day I learn something new is a god day.
    Best Regards,
    Scott Muscle Car Detailing - Mod and Shine
    Detailing supplies aren't cheap, but they're a lot cheaper then therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Mike....Thanks for your reply to my inquiry.

And as always, very insightful and beneficial.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info and answering my questions Mike!!

BTW, that clear coat fracture looks familiar. I encountered a car that had that and I did 3 section passes of M83 (good old days of you starting MOL) to take it out. Eventually, the clear coat failed within a year and the paint was peeling... Here's the thread: What do you guys think about this one? (Results are in!) (I hope I'm not going against the rules)
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast