autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

paint coating hype

not understanding all the hype on the paint coatings anybrand. they all tell you to mist it on a very miniscule amount is needed for protection just not buying it help convince me any long term reviews anything on these over the long haul science of it all may be there but I need proof .

Post Thanks / Like

Re: paint coating hype

Quote Originally Posted by wildwilly1 View Post
    not understanding all the hype on the paint coatings anybrand. they all tell you to mist it on

a very miniscule amount is needed for protection

just not buying it help convince me any long term reviews anything on these over the long haul

science of it all may be there but I need proof .
    It's similar to the same hype of where: Only a very miniscule amount (a few millionths of an inch)
    of other Last Step Products (LSP's)...such as Waxes and Sealants...would be applied on
    a vehicle's surfaces for protection, as a sacrificial barrier would so equate.

If a person doesn't believe in scientific proof...how, then:
    are they to accept empirical findings as the real truth?
    ~Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Mike Phillips

I've used all the other coatings AG carries and a few AG doesn't carry, (you guys would be surprised at how many companies send me samples to test out).

And just for the record, the other coatings we carry work GREAT! And I've recommend these to countless people over the years as well as all the other outstanding brands AG carries.

Here's just a few of the cars that I've personally used other coatings on as well as Detailer's Paint Coating and Black Label Coatings and I think the results speak for themselves.

PLUS in all my write-ups I thoroughly document three things to try to help others follow the same path to success.

• The before pictures showing the true condition of the paint.
    • The process pictures showing all the pads, products and tools used.
    • The beauty shots showing the end results.
    Been doing this on forums since forums were invented.

Please feel encouraged to click on the links and read the entire write-ups which thoroughly document everything.

GTechniq C1 Crystal Lacquer

Video & Pictures - GTechniq Makeover - 2012 High Voltage Yellow Scion tC 7.0

GTechniq EXO

Video & Pictures: 1965 Fastback Mustang - GTechniq EXO Show Car Makeover!

Optimum Opti-Coat II

1977 Can Am Corvette - Modeled by Amy and Janna - Pictures and Video!

CQuartz

1994 Porsche 964 Turbo 3.6 - Modeled by Janna and Amy

Detailer's Paint Coating

This 1932 Ford has brand new SINGLE STAGE PAINT and the write-up includes,
    • The before pictures showing the true condition of the paint.
    • The process pictures showing all the pads, products and tools used.
    • The beauty shots showing the end results.

Detailer’s Paint Coating on Single Stage Paint

Detailer's Paint Coating

Cleaned & Coated in 3 Hours - 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Detailer's Paint Coating

1965 Mustang GT Convertible - Detailer's Paint Coating

Detailer's Paint Coating

Detailer’s Review: Detailer’s Paint Coating & Detailer’s Coating Prep Polish

Black Label Diamond Paint Coating & Glass Coating & Wheel Coating

Ready for the Mud!

Black Label Diamond Surface Coating

2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK 350 Show Car Makeover Pictures

Black Label Diamond Paint Coating

Pictures: 2013 Dodge Charger - Black Label Diamond Paint Coating- New Rupes Polishers - Pictures & Video

Note this car was coated with a beta version of Black Label Diamond Paint Coating before the formula was finalized for production and before it was public...

Black Label Diamond Paint Coating

Lady in Red - 1986 Porsche - 4-Step Process

Where the rubber meets the road...
    Here's the deal though... as great as the results look in all these detailing projects we did here at Autogeek, and as beautiful as the final results look... the end-results are still dependent upon doing the proper prep work.

Then, after doing the proper prep work you really can create clear, glassy looking paint and the coatings themselves do last longer than traditional car waxes and synthetic paint sealants.

After applying the coating you still must carefully wash your car and maintain the finish if you want to maintain the results. Just because you apply any coating to your car's paint this does not automatically give you the freedom to start running your car through a automatic car wash or even wash it yourself haphazardly as you will diminish the appearance.

On a personal note...
    While I did plan on keeping our MB coated I didn't plan on using or continue using a coating on my personal truck because too often I use it for a rolling test panel.

After coating it however and then driving the truck around now for a week, I love the results and while I will continue to use my truck to test products for most of the panels I'm going to continue to use the Black Label line of coatings. Especially because of what's in the works...

Don't now if my posts will help you to form your own opinion about coatings and any and all hype surrounding them but they are the real deal as far as a new way to wax your car without using a traditional "Car Wax" or a traditional "Paint Sealant".

One thing for sure... sooner or later everyone finds something they like...

Car wax has changed...

Mike Phillips

How's that for visual reply?

I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike...."especially what's in the works..." now what's going on???

WildWilly1, just curious, what products are you using right now? Are you a noob to detailing in general? The reason I ask is because maybe you need to work your way up. After using a nuba maybe a "hybrid" is in order, maybe a sealant, also you might wanna try a WOWA product (wipe on walk away) like Black Fire Crystal Seal and then step up to the latest and greatest, paint coatings.

I've tried DP paint coating recently, over a month ago and I can honestly tell you the stuff is for real! It really does feel differently, the look is "candy" and yes, it really is that easy to apply. When your used to "wax on, wax off" and getting "Popeye arms" getting the stuff off, the newer tech might make you roll your eyes but rest assured these new products are AWESOME, ALL OF THEM!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

i do not do this for a living but i have been detailing cars for some while just not up on the latest and greatest products. the last lsp i used besides a wax was blackfire wet diamond loved it. it was used on a black hummer h2 i had after proper paint correction. i currently have a black audi a8 i am getting everything together to do the paint correction and would like to get a great coating wax sealant whatever it may be to protect the paint when i am done. my only problem now is that i live in ky temps now are in the upper 30s mid 40s for highs will be this way until march too cold for a coating correct. what would be the absolute best coating to use for looks and durability thx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Where the rubber meets the road...
    Here's the deal though... as great as the results look in all these detailing projects we did here at Autogeek, and as beautiful as the final results look... the end-results are still dependent upon doing the proper prep work.

Then, after doing the proper prep work you really can create clear, glassy looking paint and the coatings themselves do last longer than traditional car waxes and synthetic paint sealants.

After applying the coating you still must carefully wash your car and maintain the finish if you want to maintain the results. Just because you apply any coating to your car's paint this does not automatically give you the freedom to start running your car through a automatic car wash or even wash it yourself haphazardly as you will diminish the appearance.

I love coatings and the way they can protect the cars paint but one thing I feel that gets over looked is that these coatings are not bullet proof nor scratch proof.

As Mike has already stated Proper Washing is key to keeping yout coatong scratch and defect free. You should still be doing a 2 BM for washing with grit guards and drying with the blotting method and good WW towels or a filtered air blower. You will want to take all the same pre-cautionary measures as you would with any other form of LSP.

You will always want to remove and bird bomb, standing water, or anything else that would etch into the clear coat.

Some of the coatings like the DP and Black Label coatings had the properties that allow you to use a sealant and or a wax ontop of the coating. Others like Opti-Coat, while you can still place a sealant or a wax on top of it wont allow the wax or sealant to remain on the surface for very long.

Coatings are great but they aren't for everyone so you just have to decide what you like. If you do go with them the as stated prep is key and post coating wases will keep it looking great.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

what about the temperature for application

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by wildwilly1 View Post
    what about the temperature for application
    I wrote this a few years ago before coatings were the real deal but the recommendations and info is just as accurate today as it was when I wrote it.

What temperature ranges are best for applying compounds, polishes, waxes and paint sealants

Here's the main point if you don't want to click over and read the entire article...

Most premium quality car detailing products will work easily within a much broader temperature range, such as, 50 degrees to 90 degrees Fahrenheit but optimum results are when you're working in a range of 60 degrees to 80 degrees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    How's that for visual reply?

I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts...

Information overload! I losing it over here! Lol

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast