autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CM8 6MT View Post
    I just recently picked up the Paste version after Marc convinced me to give it a second shot after seeing his results with this Corvette Z06 he did:
    Detailed: 2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - Black
    I picked up Meg's UPW for the same exact reason!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiars Ultimate Paste Wax durability review

Quote Originally Posted by CM8 6MT View Post
    NXT doesnt streak when applied thin, just like any other product. Have you guys ever read a product label that stated the sealant/wax needed to be applied thick?

Just like any product wether it be a car product or whatever it may be, there will always be those who dont know how to use them properly.

I remember when NXT 1.0 was new, people (mostly newbs) were having streaking issues left and right from applying too thick. Meguiar's solution was to tweak the new 2.0 formula to bond to the paint alot quicker, and last alot longer. Even so, people still dont understand the concept of "thin is in"
    We're totally on the same page here. Lots of people say they put it on "thin" ... thin as what? Thin to some means so little the applicator is extremely grabby, to others thin means I see a thin coat on the car.

If you can see the product WHILE you are applying it, you are laying it on thick. Anyone that has used KSG knows what thin is because if you get it on thick, you are in for a wild ride.

I typically use 1/2 oz of liquid product on the average size car. Pastes are a bit more tricky, but you should constantly find yourself needing to apply more wax onto your applicator.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrCleanit View Post
    I've been using NXT on my White Honda. My third turn (6 months) using it now and my car is still looking good. I'm not running into any problems with it along the lines of hard to take off. No staining the trim as well. Even if I do hit it by accident.

Still have an unopened box of Meg's ULW (not the paste). Reading this thread I might just do that next!
    You'll like the ULW! It is that good. IMHO it's far easier than the paste to apply, swipe, wipe, etc. and overall deal with.

Post Thanks / Like

Many years ago I only used paste wax as I felt it was going to give me a longer lasting shine than a liquid wax. When I finally tried the liquid waxes and sealants I realized that I was getting the same protection and appearance qualities as the paste wax.

Now I apply my waxes, polishes & sealants with my Griot's Garage Orbital Polisher with the appropriate pads and get much better results than applying the products by hand. Using the orbital polisher makes application a breeze and usually there isn't much to wipe off, just buff.

Midnight Blue

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

To Wit:

"Meguiars Black Wax contains a mild blend of abrasives and micro cleaners that enable it to
    self-prep the surface. That means
    Meguiars Black Wax cleans, polishes and protects in one simple step
    How does this benefit you? Less time waxing your car - that’s how! Meguiars Black Wax allows you to
    forgo the time consuming polishing step with a pre-wax cleaner because it essentially has one built in".

__________________________________________________ ____________

.......And I get that, but my point was addressing their particular inclusion of

"with the help of its polishing oils, to deliver a show car finish"....

Whereas they don't seem to mention the 'oils' in the White version.
    __________________________________________________ ____________

..... Actually know (or even care) about the differences between:
    Cleaner-waxes, AIO's, Waxes, etc.?
    As long as the tub/tin/bottle labeling says: Wax...
    The hope that car-care products manufacturers hold dear is that:
    These "wax-products" will be flying off the shelves.

-Those "weasel-words"-wielding-marketers at Meguiar's seem to have revisited
    this adage with their newest wax-offerings-'scheme'.
    That very word "WAX" is something I was thinking about in the last, long winded reply. (As if I'd ever do such a thing.)

Select polymers, oils, coatings, fillers, do-dads and gizamadoodles and micro-magic fairies are what is by-and-large are included in most offerings these days whether OTC or not.

To us 'old school' guys when I think of 'wax' I think of natives chopping down carnuba trees with axes made of bone and stone, in the Amazon Forest, and dragging them out behind trained pythons while riding on their backs chanting prehistoric songs that translated come out to something along the line of 'we are going to shrink your head and put it on a stick'.

IOW's 'wax' is carnuba no matter what the concentration. Yet you'll read many a label these days before you find that magical word.

Whether or not 'carnuba' is indeed what you are looking for as you assess your finish product, or even CARE once you decide how it looks is what you actually want, now that is another matter.
    As you so well said my friend....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    To us 'old school' guys when I think of 'wax' I think of natives chopping down carnuba trees with axes made of bone and stone, in the Amazon Forest, and dragging them out behind trained pythons while riding on their backs chanting prehistoric songs that translated come out to something along the line of 'we are going to shrink your head and put it on a stick'.
    Now, THAT is funny!

Especially when we used steam powered rotaries to apply.

Bill

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    Now, THAT is funny!

Especially when we used steam powered rotaries to apply.

Bill
    Hah... what is it they say? Baffle um' with brilliance and befuddle um' with bull$hit!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A good wax does not need color such as extremes of black or white, unless it is colored to hide certain stains left behind by the wax, which
    speaks about the wax.

When I wax my car I want brilliant shine , no staining, and easy wipe off and good durability, and can care less about the color of the wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Protecting the finish of a car has been around almost as long as cars have been around. What started as a way to protect the paint and make it shine has now evolved to so many specialty products that you almost need a degree in chemistry to sort things out!

Let's start with the basics like waxing a cars finish. The number one most recognized best wax is Carnauba Wax. In its natural state, Carnauba is as hard as a brick. But as a main ingredient can be combined with petroleum distilates, mineral spirits and other ingredients to form a rock hard barrier to protect your paint. Each of the thousands of companies who manufacture a carnauba wax use their own proprietary formulas to deliver a product that will protect the paint, is easy to apply and take off, deliver a brilliant shine and hopefully last for several months. All of this is fine if you start with a very clean and shiny surface. Knowing that most do it yourselfers will not take the time or make the effort to clay bar or clean the surface before waxing, they created a cleaner wax. This is a combination product that has a polishing agent to shine the paint and a wax to protect the shine. A wax will protect the finish but a polish will shine the finish.

Then along came the synthetics. These modern marvels can polish, shine and protect like carnauba based products but generally are more durable and can last longer giving you added protection. These are over simplified examples of some of the myriad of products available to folks who enjoy detailing their cars. For those who have the time and interest to really preclean, clay bar, polish and either wax or seal the finish there are is no shortage of companies who have a product to fit your every need. From hand application to orbital polishers, from a variety of carnauba based waxes to the latest synthetic waxes and sealers, todays enthusiast is bombarded with slick commercials all trying to differentiate their products from the competition. The costs of these products can vary as well based on the quality of ingredients and the research that goes into developing these products.

All of the major consumer products companies offer quality products. Here on this website we have access to many other companies that offer professional grade products not found on auto store shelves. Over the years I have enjoyed testing out every kind of carnauba wax and synthetic wax I could lay my hands on. Rarely was I unhappy with the results although I did make note of those products that were difficult to apply or take off or which ones left a lot of white residue or streaked or did not perform as well as the others. I would venture that most of you have had that same experience too. In the end it usually boils done to personal preference anyway.

Midnight Blue
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 03-05-2013 at 01:14 AM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456