autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dont wash your car in Garden City, NY.

Quote Originally Posted by hamlyn View Post
    I don't think the cop did a good job explaining the law. He clearly read "in public," but does washing a car on your private property in public view still go against city ordinances?
    The two guys, on the other hand, concern me somewhat. They're not well liked by their neighbor (which, clearly is not illegal), to the point where they called the cops on them for washing a car, and were very antagonistic with the cop. They chose to escalate the issue rather than try and diffuse it, to the point that the cop and his partner tried to find fault with the car's licensing. I would have asked the cop to educate me on the law and why, rather than to dare him to issue a citation. They're clearly not doing themselves any favors...
    Notice the officer said his Lieutenant told him to come out and see what is going on. It's clear the neighbor knows people by that statement alone. What Lieutenant gets involved in a car washing situation between neighbors who do not like each other!?!?!?!?!

Post Thanks / Like

I saw this on reddit, jeez people, there is much more to complain about than car washing. If they have a clean water act , okay, so are they drinking it off the ground? I dont see how washing a car is bad, all that is needed is common sense and an eco friendly mind
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are looking at this all wrong, I look at it as thw world is free from terrorism and criminals and now the police need something to do. I know this, I'll sleep better tonight knowing all is good in the world, finally.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

I think the question should be why the neighbor called the police in the 1st place...

Then after that was found out the rest might be clearer, laws notwithstanding....

But no they really didn't do themselves any favors either..... They were acting like punks for the most part..... Typical of today's generation.....

The answer should be been Yes Officer I will take of it and let them go on their way......

Then wash the car later after they left....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jankerson View Post
    I think the question should be why the neighbor called the police in the 1st place...

Then after that was found out the rest might be clearer, laws notwithstanding....

But no they really didn't do themselves any favors either..... They were acting like punks for the most part..... Typical of today's generation.....

The answer should be been Yes Officer I will take of it and let them go on their way......

Then wash the car later after they left....
    I would have had an attitude too if somebody was threatening me over washing my car.
    Russell

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RFulmer View Post
    I'd move. And to a previous poster, how was the homeowner being "snotty" at all? He was being rather calm and reasonable to me.
    If you refer to my post, I didn't say "snotty," I simply stated that they could have simply asked the cop for more clarification instead of challenging him: "If you want to give us a ticket, you should give it to us now..."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hamlyn View Post
    but does washing a car on your private property in public view still go against city ordinances?
    In some locales...Yes!

There's more to washing a car...than just washing a car.

It's the effluent, that is being generated...
    that's one of the biggest issues with the regulations/restrictions per: The Clean Water Act.

Where I live:
    Absolutely no washing of vehicles in your driveways/on the street---anywhere the effluent will eventually reach waterways.

Only on the grassy lawn areas. Which makes no sense to me.
    Won't car washing-effluent eventually reach the water table?
    Folks' that get their water supply from wells will surely be affected!!

OH well...

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RFulmer View Post
    I would have had an attitude too if somebody was threatening me over washing my car.
    And risk getting arrested over something stupid..... Or worse like getting their head cracked.....

Going against authority will not do anyone any favors...

All that will do is make the situation worse...

The smart thing would have been to do what I posted....

Then either call a Lawyer, I mean a real Lawyer not a bar stool one.... To see what can be done and what the laws really say and mean..

Post Thanks / Like
    And risk getting arrested over something stupid..... Or worse like getting their head cracked.....

Going against authority will no do anyone any favors...

All that will do is make the situation worse...

The smart thing would have been to do what I posted....

Then either call a Lawyer, I mean a real Lawyer not a bar stool one.... To see what can be done and what the laws really say and mean..
    Apparently you have more respect for cops than I do. Once I went through a license checkpoint, cop says I need to see your insurance and registration so I take off my seatbelt so I can reach into the glove compartment and hand it to him. He gives me a ticket for not having on my seatbelt. And I was being totally respectful. Up until that point I donated money to several police charities annually but not anymore.
    Russell

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I have more important things to than argue with cops and fight bogus tickets in court. Just say: "Thank you, officer. You guys are doing one hell of a job!" and go on about my business.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast