autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont wash your car in Garden City, NY.

A little over the top.Perhaps the gray area needs some clarification.(And I dont mean the clear coat failure on the front panels.)
    Watch this NY police officer threaten to ticket someone for washing a car in their own driveway - Autoblog
    "Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dont wash your car in Garden City, NY.

WOW!.... just WOW!

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, that's crazy.
    Russell

Post Thanks / Like

I saw this last night as I was browsing. I wasn't aware this was in Garden City, NY. That's not too far from where I live.

Garden City has their own homeowners associations and with them they usually have their own ordinances; especially in an upper-middle class NY suburb.

One of the things they do have is their own police force. This guy looks like a village cop and not a part of the county police force.

Aside from "snotty" behavior both sides exhibited it is very possible this ordinance is real. However, the notion of "cannot wash car in public places" does not apply here. I am not a lawyer but it seems he would have a good chance of getting any ticket dismissed.

I believe the cop knew he was toeing the line even if he didn't witness the guys washing.

A driveway is private property and not a public place. He would likely have the ticket dismissed. If the ordinance said "public view", then I would say driveways apply.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would have turned the pressure washer on the second they left.... And I would take that to court... Hell I'd be surprised if I could put my garbage can out front there without receiving a complaint..

That's really sad that those two officers were wasting those peoples time and tax dollars doing that..

Can you imagine that hearing...? So Mr. Carwasher, you were washing your car in your driveway...how dare you...GUILTY!

Post Thanks / Like

A homeowner's driveway may well be adjudicated as a "private place"...

But the effluent from washing vehicles, (private driveway or a Business establishment), in more and more locales:
    -Is coming under surveillance of those that scrutinize
    -And is being enforced per: The Clean Water Act, et al.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Here you go...free and clear... so much for police officers applying the law as stated. He was toeing on a civil rights violation in his own right.

Village of Garden City, NY WATER

Chapter 197: WATER
    [HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Trustees of the Village of Garden City: Art. I, 9-1-1977 as L.L. No. 8-1977; Art. II, 7-9-1987 as L.L. No. 3-1987. Section 197-6C amended during codification; see Ch. 1, General Provisions, Art. III. Other amendments noted where applicable.]

§ 197-12 Miscellaneous provisions.

A. All home car washing must be done with hoses fitted with spray nozzles with automatic shut-off.

B. Use of water for washing down driveways or walkways is hereby prohibited.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the cop did a good job explaining the law. He clearly read "in public," but does washing a car on your private property in public view still go against city ordinances?
    The two guys, on the other hand, concern me somewhat. They're not well liked by their neighbor (which, clearly is not illegal), to the point where they (the neighbors) called the cops on them for washing a car. The two guys were very antagonistic with the cop. They chose to escalate the issue rather than try and diffuse it, to the point that the cop and his partner tried to find fault with the car's licensing and registration. I would have asked the cop to educate me on the law and why, rather than to dare him to issue a citation. They're clearly not doing themselves any favors...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by b0b View Post
    I would have turned the pressure washer on the second they left.... And I would take that to court... Hell I'd be surprised if I could put my garbage can out front there without receiving a complaint..

That's really sad that those two officers were wasting those peoples time and tax dollars doing that..

Can you imagine that hearing...? So Mr. Carwasher, you were washing your car in your driveway...how dare you...GUILTY!
    Yes, in Texas for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd move. And to a previous poster, how was the homeowner being "snotty" at all? He was being rather calm and reasonable to me.
    Russell

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast