autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Trying to quit smoking

Hey guys, so except for the few brief periods I've quit for a month or so I've more or less smoked 1-2 packs a day for 11 years. Anyone here quit smoking? What did you do and whats it like now? Any encouragement is welcomed I'm on day 2!
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trying to quit smoking

They say the only thing tougher to quit is crack. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know how you feel about prescriptions but I smoked for three years. About halfway through my deployment to Iraq my corpsman offered me Chantix to try. I was off cigs completely in 9 days and haven't been back since. No side effects either. Best of luck to you !

Post Thanks / Like

I have a buddy here at work that chewed copenhagen for almost 30 years and used Chantix. His only side effect was road rage.....

I need to try it as I've been chewing since 1980...very hard to quit.

Try Chantix.
    Aaron's the name!
    Live long and prosper Leonard Nimoy

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried to no avail numerous times to quit smoking. On Dec 17th I smoked my last analog.

I now vape on the Ego-T. My daily nicotine level is much lower that with analog cigarettes. It's not a cure all, but I feel that I'm heading in the right direction.
    Is The Electronic Cigarette Healthy? Is It The Future of Smoking?
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Transplant View Post
    I now vape on the Ego-T. My daily nicotine level is much lower that with analog cigarettes. It's not a cure all, but I feel that I'm heading in the right direction.
    Is The Electronic Cigarette Healthy? Is It The Future of Smoking?
    I don't understand why there is such a backlash against this product. At the very least it is eliminating second-hand smoke, and the first-hand smoke for the smoker. It certainly seems like a healthier option if you can't quit the nicotine habit or as you say, as a step toward it.

Post Thanks / Like

Shawn...

I used to smoke alittle over a half a pack a day, and then I got into smoking Black n Milds. Smoke almost a whole pack of Milds a day. One day, my chest started hurting and it hurt for almost a week. I was so freaked out that I had cancer and stopped right away. I tried quitting several times in the past using the patch. It didn't work because I didn't want to quit. You've GOT to want to quit...thats first and foremost.

I did use the patch to help me quit this last time...its almost like a mental thing that you know you have the patch on and it kind of deters you from smoking. However in the past I have smoked after ripping the patch off.

Take it day by day...one saying that got me through the entire process is "if I smoke again, even one puff, I have to start all over." The entire quitting smoking bid is a mental battle. Nicotine is out of your system after 3 days (so I've been told). But after that its the associate thats big deal. I stopped drinking when I first quit. After meals is a tough one.

I never had that much of a sweet tooth but after I quit, and my senses came back (smell & taste) I craved sweets-mainly desserts. You will gain weight...but going to the gym is probably one of the best things you can do to help quit smoking. Not to mention...well...its good for you LOL!

Another thing that got me through was encouragement. I got alot of encouragement from my fiancée, family, and friends. Quitting smoking is THE HARDEST thing I've ever done in life...but I've been quit for 3 years now. I still think about smoking almost every day. It gets better day by day slowly...but it will get better.

I wish you the best with this. I wish I had never picked up the habit....but...I did make a change. Here's your encouragement...YOU CAN DO THIS MAN!!! I promise you you can...its just gonna take alot of will power.
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Post Thanks / Like

I smoked 2 packas a day for about 6 years. I quit cold turkey when I moved in with my girlfriend at the time. She didn't ask me too, but I didn't want our new place to smell like smoke. Quit cold turkey, and other than some weight gain it was pretty easy for me. I still smoke cigars from time to time, but I never feel like i NEED one.

I think everyone is right, it's more mental than anything else. You have to WANT to quit.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Congradulations !!! I have been smoke free for 15 years. Each day is a challenge, but you will get thru it. Keep busy (detailing vehicles is a good start), Drink alot of water, any mints (candy), to reach for helps. Long walks with someone who can provide support and keep you honest. If you drink coffee first thing in the morning, get up later. Breaks a potential habit. I also had a calendar that I found as to what changes your body goes thru each week that you go without smoking. Anniversary Dates. Sort of keeps you on track, when you can see your progress you are making.
    Mike !!!
    Mid-Michigan
    Tri-Cities

Post Thanks / Like

I smoked 2 packs of Camel Wides a day for 10 years and I quit cold turkey. I just got tired of waking up every morning feeling like I had an elephant sitting on my chest. If you dont feel that you can just quit, my father-in-law used Chantix and he was a smoker for 31 years.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast