autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trying to quit smoking

Quote Originally Posted by cmichael258 View Post
    I smoked for 28 years and was at 2 packs/day when I quit. The trick for me was:
    1. A sincere desire to quit
    2. I smoked the last cigarette in the pack just before going to bed. The next morning,
    I congratulated myself for going 8 hours without a cigarette and set a goal to go
    another 8 hours. That 8 hours turned in to a week, then a month, then a year and
    now it's been 21 years.
    3. I told myself that, after a couple of weeks, the nicotine would be out of my system
    and from then on the cravings would be psychological. I told myself that if I was not
    really committed to quitting, I would find some excuse to pick up a cigarette. There
    were many temptations during that 1st month, but I just told myself not for fall for
    those psych games. I guess it worked.

Good luck to you!
    It has gotten to the point for me that I'll wake up in the middle of the night usually 2 or 3 times and have one. But you are correct in saying that after a nights sleep, you haven't smoked for that period of time.

Post Thanks / Like

Another key thing I found important is to keep the car windows rolled all the way up on a trip. I would crack it just a little and it did nothing but make me think that I could be ashing from the window or getting the smoke out. Really made me want a cig. Might not be the same for you, but you will be surprised at how many little things trigger a response in your brain telling you to smoke.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    They say the only thing tougher to quit is crack. Good luck!
    I've already quit that

Quote Originally Posted by Flannigan View Post
    I never had the issue with needing something in my mouth, but I did have a lot of issues when I went to a bar. I remember going to a bar for the first time after I quit and physically reaching for my smokes and a lighter....then I realized why I didn't have any...lol

i won't lie, I do miss the social aspect of smoking, be it a smoke break at work with buddies, or at a bar, but I DO NOT miss the terrible heath side effects. Still glad to be smoke free.
    I shouldn't have that problem cause I don't drink. I'm allergic to alcohol, every time I drink I break out in handcuffs no matter what I do lol

Quote Originally Posted by Agfan View Post
    Smoke pot instead.
    Yup allergic to that too lol

Quote Originally Posted by Flannigan View Post
    Yeah, because thats cheaper and healthier....
    Its not cheaper when you smoke a quarter bag of 50/hun like I did every day lol

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Planet View Post
    My friend's girlfriend had her tonsils removed and was forced to stop for two weeks while her throat healed. She turned it into a forced opportunity to quit.

Do you still have tonsils? =]
    Yes I do have tonsils

Quote Originally Posted by davidg View Post
    Another key thing I found important is to keep the car windows rolled all the way up on a trip. I would crack it just a little and it did nothing but make me think that I could be ashing from the window or getting the smoke out. Really made me want a cig. Might not be the same for you, but you will be surprised at how many little things trigger a response in your brain telling you to smoke.
    To be honest one of the main reasons I wanted to quite was detailing. I would spend hours detailing my car interior and out. And I would tell myself "I'm not going to smoke in my car this time" and that would last for a day or 2 but I'm often in my car for hours at a time and eventually I just cave in. The first one's not bad but fast forward like 2 or 3 days and the car is covered in ashes inside and out. Very aggravating when your a detailer lol and I hate getting in my car and it smelling like smoke. Its the worst in the summer when the sun is baking it all day.

Thanks for all the motivation guys!
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

My Father smoked 2 1/2 packs a day for many years, and then he went on the SmokEnders program. He went to meetings where they would discuss smoking and the psychological triggers and gave tools that people could use to stop smoking. After being on the program, he stopped completely and never went back. No patches, no drugs, or any chemical aids. I give their program my highest recommendation.
    It seems like they have a home study course now, too.

Welcome to SmokEnders

Post Thanks / Like

My dad smoked for 37 years before he quit.....but the damage was done.

He battled emphysema for about 10 years before developing small cell lung cancer.

Unfortunately, my dad lived in Arizona as him and my mom had been divorced for about 12 years.

He died 2 years ago in Arizona. I was too dumb, young and angry (at his leaving me) to go and see him before his death. Both of my sisters went to see him. He said, "All I wish is for Shawn to be here. I love all of you but he's my son. He's my son. My son."

He died a slow, painful death. Chemo absolutely demolished him. One of his favorite things to do was make appetizers and watch football/NASCAR/baseball but with the chemo, he couldn't keep any of the food down. There were some days where he couldn't move and could hardly breathe.

This is my story of cigarettes. If you care about people around you, quit, and live a happy and healthy life.
    Shawn Tedrow
    Tedrow's Mobile Auto Detailing
    facebook.com/TedrowsMobileDetailing 845-642-1698

Post Thanks / Like

I smoked for 30+yrs. and last Feb. 1 I stopped and started vapeing, using a GLV5volt. Haven't had a ciggie sense and I know I never will. Using the Ecig has become more of a toy than an addiction, I forget about it alot of times. I feel i could very easily stop using it any time I want. Right now I still like it, I like trying the different Eliquids, it keeps me entertained a little.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Agfan View Post
    May not but cheaper but a hell of a lot healthier. Been proven. Pot is natural ciggerettes have about 800 chemicals in it. Forget what your teachers told you in high school.
    You are dead wrong. Pot is nothing but an excuse for lazy people to push for drug legalization. If it is so good for you, why don't you give it to a kid?

Post Thanks / Like

In all honesty: Good Luck...And I mean that sincerely!

-Tobacco, in one form or another (yes, and, contrary to popular belief, smoking a cigar is still smoking) has been a part of my life for over 54 years...From the days of growing-up on a tobacco farm---sneaking a chew, up in the tobacco barn loft---'til now.
    -It's not that hard to quit...I've done it many, many times. Harder than hell to quit permanently, once and for all, though.

-As the saying goes: If I'd aknown I was going to live this long I woulda taken better care of myself...

-It's an expensive habit/life-style...But...
    I see it now for you my good sir: Quit, and a brand new pair of shoes is in your future.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Transplant View Post
    I've tried to no avail numerous times to quit smoking. On Dec 17th I smoked my last analog.

I now vape on the Ego-T. My daily nicotine level is much lower that with analog cigarettes. It's not a cure all, but I feel that I'm heading in the right direction.
    Is The Electronic Cigarette Healthy? Is It The Future of Smoking?
    Quote Originally Posted by BWG707 View Post
    I smoked for 30+yrs. and last Feb. 1 I stopped and started vapeing, using a GLV5volt. Haven't had a ciggie sense and I know I never will. Using the Ecig has become more of a toy than an addiction, I forget about it alot of times. I feel i could very easily stop using it any time I want. Right now I still like it, I like trying the different Eliquids, it keeps me entertained a little.
    ^^^^
    Also a 30 + yr smoker. This is the reason that I chose the Ego-T (almost chose the silver bullet) - Using carts and attys. After weeks of research it finally dawned on me that the big box mod would probably lead me into long term vaping - thus lessening my desire to be free of it all.

Btw - ejuices - nic or non nic?
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arack View Post
    You are dead wrong. Pot is nothing but an excuse for lazy people to push for drug legalization. If it is so good for you, why don't you give it to a kid?
    haha. again read back a couple pages bud. i never once said pot is good for anyone. just said its a hell of a lot healthier then cigarettes. its been proven. Did an extensive research paper in college about the two.THC is the only chemical in most pot.(not laced or synthetic) there are over 800 chemicals in cigarettes. look up the chemicals sometime.its scary that they legally sell these things!Hopefully in the near future they make them illegal. I hope to god i never have to go through this but i so much rather catch my kid smoking weed then cigarettes or drinking alcohol for health and safety reasons.

Also i would never give that to a child so dont go there. thats just ridiculous to say. Funny part is, a lot of parents shove soda down kids throats, yet it is one of the leading causes of cancer, diabetes and upper GI problems. Not to mention in the top 5 most addictive things on earth. so it just goes to show that just because something is "legal" it doesnt make it healthy. but hey thats the world we live in.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast