autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New Member and the Quest for Knowledge

My name is Chris and I have been in SC (armpit of the south) for 16 years. When I got my first car I didn't knew next to nothing and just did standard wash with a quick wax afterwards. Got my second car and stepped it up slightly by adding in a clay bar. With my current car I have stepped it up to 5 step detail.

I have been doing things by hand for years due to my fear of messing something up, but after reading I feel I am ready to take on the world of da polishers. I have been using meguiars products for years. Just recently started using the ultimate line, but before was using the nxt line.

I have already decided on the da polisher but the rest is a mystery (applicator pads, back plates, compound, polish, sealer, wax, maintenance). The da I will be purchasing is the griots 6"

I will be using the da polisher and anything else I can figure out on this...

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to AGO! Where in SC are u from. I'm in Anderson.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in Columbia. I've traveled up that way for some work stuff for my old job. Now not so much

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Member and the Quest for Knowledge

Welcome to Autogeek Online Chris!
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO!!

Post Thanks / Like

too AGO Chris. I use the Griot's with the meguires microfiber system (5" pads), works great.

bmwgalore

+ 1 on the Meguiar's Micro Fiber System (5" only, not the 6")
    It's a game changer, specially is you're just starting.

Although I prefer the Optimum micro fiber pads, both cutting and polishing.. But most of the time I finish up with Foam pads.. But for now just get the kit.

Don't forget micro fiber towels, wheel cleaners and brushes, APC and UV protectant.. All that stuff adds up real quick.

Post Thanks / Like

To Autogeek Online Chris!

I post this quite often because it addresses a specific area and these products work well. There are of course many products that can be substituted in their place however these work well.

Wash - Duragloss #901
    Clay - Meguiar’s Clay
    Compound - PG 1000 – PowerGloss Compound (POS34A)
    Polish - PF 2500 – Power Finish Polish (PO203)
    Finishing Polish - SF 4000 – Super Finish Polish (PO106FA)
    1-Step - Duragloss 501
    Sealant -Duragloss 105 TPP
    Duragloss 601 Bonding Agent
    Wax - Collinite 845
    Spray Wax -Optimum Spray Car Wax
    Tire Cleaner - Meguiar's Super Degreaser
    Tire Treatment - CarPro PERL
    Trim - Ultima Tire and Trim Guard
    Wheel Cleaner - Meguiar's Wheel Brightener
    Wheel Protectant -Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0
    Glass Cleaner - Meguiar's Glass Cleaner
    Glass Treatment - Aquapel
    All Purpose Cleaner - Optimum Power Clean
    Interior Protectant - Meguiar’s M40
    Chrome & Stainless Steel - BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Metal Acrylic Sealant

Here's some great information by Mike Phillips that will help you.

Foam Pads

Stick with the 5 1/2" flat pads as they work best with the Porter Cable style polishers.

Yellow Cutting Foam - Use this pad to apply compounds or polishes to remove severe oxidation, swirls, and scratches. It is the most aggressive and should only be used on oxidized and older finishes. Always follow this pad with an orange or white pad and a fine polish to refine the paint until it is smooth.

Coarse Green Cutting/Polishing - This foam is of medium density with the ability to level very fine scratches and very light oxidation. Use light swirl removers with this pad.

Orange Light Cutting Foam - Firm, high density foam for scratch and defect removal. Use this pad with polishes and swirl removers. It’s an all around pad that will work on most light to moderate imperfections.

White Polishing Foam - Less dense foam formula for the application of waxes, micro-fine polishes and sealants. This pad has very light cutting power so it’s perfect for pre-wax cleaners.

Green Polishing/Finishing Foam - Use this foam to apply one-step cleaner waxes. It is a balance of polishing and finishing that is perfect for all-in-one product application.

Gray Finishing 6.5 inch Foam Pad - Composition is firm enough to withstand added pressure during final finishing to remove buffer swirls. It has no cut and will apply thin, even coats of waxes, sealants, and glazes.

Blue Finessing Foam – Pad has soft composition for applying glaze, finishing polish, sealants, and liquid waxes. Flat pad provides full contact with paint surface to minimize the pressure applied by the user.

Red Ultra-soft Wax/Sealant Foam - This soft, imported foam is ideal for applying the final coat of wax or sealant. The foam works especially well when applying liquid waxes or sealants because it is firm enough to keep the majority of the product on the paint, rather than soaking it up. The red foam has no cut or cleaning ability.

Super Soft Gold Jewelling Foam - The CCS Super Soft Gold Jewelling Pad is made of Lake Country's softest foam. Use the gold pad to apply a very fine polish or glaze as the final step of the polishing process. Jewelling is the term coined for this step because it intensifies gloss and reflectivity, like a jewel. The gold foam pad also works well for wax and sealant application.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for the information. All of it has basically answered my questions. There are more but I will have to sort through the information completely. I am now finishing up a detail on my car and will post some pics of it once fully complete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bmwgalore View Post
    Don't forget micro fiber towels, wheel cleaners and brushes, APC and UV protectant.. All that stuff adds up real quick.
    Amen to that...you can drop a grand in a heartbeat!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast