autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another tip for getting the most out of products like Iron X and other decon gels is to use air to apply them quickly, evenly, and much less wastefully. I use the Optimum spray gun to apply mine instead of the supplied trigger sprayer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tip for Iron X users - Rinse well to avoid molding drip

Quote Originally Posted by TundraPower View Post
    Trix is a superb product. Does everything Iron-X does plus tar. Outstanding wheel cleaner as well. But very expensive!
    TRIX is cheaper than Iron-X. My understanding is that it is less effective than using Iron-X and Tar-X separately.

Post Thanks / Like

other things to know:
    1) wear some type of gloves
    2) wear disposable mask
    3) have a dedicated "IRON-X" wash media
    4) WASH your clothes ASAP because the odor will linger long after you are
    Finished w/your detail session.
    Will say this though... It is a must- have go to product.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny94 View Post

WOW! Mike you get a lot of nice rides to work with!

Let me ask you all this . Can't you just dilute Iron X on cars that is not badly contaminated? To prevent molding drip? The product works with water.

I guess you could dilute the Iron X and it might still work? I think it would be hard to tell though and if you're going to decontaminate a car might as well just go for it.

Another option would be to use the Iron X Snow Foam is you have a foam gun or just use it as your car wash soap.

Here's some more Iron X pictures from an all original 1990 Corvete we washed here at Autogeek over the weekend. We're going to use it for a Thursday night project car and I wanted to make sure the paint was not contaminated before the buffing starts.

Car Wash Day at Autogeek

More pictures in the thread.....

Car Wash Day at Autogeek

Post Thanks / Like

Tip for Iron X users - Rinse well to avoid molding drip

Thanks for your response Mike. The word guess answered that question. Again, thank you for the tips and hope to see you this summer in your detailing class to learn more about the art of detailing and product knowledge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny94 View Post

Thanks for your response Mike. The word guess answered that question. Again, thank you for the tips and hope to see you this summer in your detailing class to learn more about the art of detailing and product knowledge.

I hope you can make it to one of my classes too.... not only do you learn a lot but I promise you'll have a lot of fun too!

Plus you'll get to work on cool cars!

Win/Win/Win

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, Seriously newb question here, but I keep expanding my understanding. Where is this iron coming from, other vehicles, nature, just airborne pollution? I can remember when I was younger seeing a certain chemical company plant near my home and it was always a shade of red and everything around it as well, so I am guessing it's just a naturally occurring containment, would that be correct? Also is it safe to use Iron-X 2 times a year or more since there is no actual abrasion on the clear coat unlike clay or polishing?

OK, I did a search but I didn't see anything about Iron-X and PPF, any thoughts?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by chrislorl View Post

Mike, Seriously newb question here, but I keep expanding my understanding. Where is this iron coming from, other vehicles, nature, just airborne pollution?
    Iron particles are part of general industrial, transport and traffic pollution.

Rail dust from transporting cars via railroad
    Industrial pollution in the way of airborne fallout.
    Airborne brake dust from the rotors of cars in traffic.

That's off the top of my head... big picture is all you have to do is use an iron remover a few times and the visual IMPACT of the contamination on your car's paint turning red and bleeding off is enough to convince most people that iron contamination does in fact exist. Where it comes from can be interesting but I don't spend much time trying to figure out the cause, just the remedy.

I can remember when I was younger seeing a certain chemical company plant near my home and it was always a shade of red and everything around it as well, so I am guessing it's just a naturally occurring containment, would that be correct?
    Probably.

Also is it safe to use Iron-X 2 times a year or more since there is no actual abrasion on the clear coat unlike clay or polishing?
    Yes. I use an iron remover on our Mercedes-Benz about every other wash and always see contamination bleeding off.

OK, I did a search but I didn't see anything about Iron-X and PPF, any thoughts?
    Completely safe when used with common sense, i.e. don't allow to dry on the surface in direct sun. Don't scrub paint protection films when using ANYTHING on them. Treat them like you might scratch them just by touching them and you'll avoid scratching them.

Mike Phillips

Reference for this question here,

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...tml#post714491

Post Thanks / Like

Once a car is coated can I use an iron remover once a year to keep the finish clean without hurting the coating? I was thinking to avoid mechanical decon because of the rubbing motion, so what's best here?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast