autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice article Mike, can I use iron x to remove iron particles on a car coated with black label paint coating without worrying about stripping the protection? I onr'ed my optima last weekend and noticed little bits of iron throughout the paintwork.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tip for Iron X users - Rinse well to avoid molding drip

Quote Originally Posted by tpr1634 View Post
    Would using painters tape on the top side of the molding help prevent iron x from getting behind the trim, etc.
    Problem with taping off is that a lot of times I see the orange iron flecks in between the spaces in the emblems, so you need to get the IX in those areas. If they were solid emblems, then maybe try taping them off (but you actually have to have the tape on the paint a little bit to try and create a seal). It's really easiest to just rinse really well. I like to go around the car twice with a really good jet of water and really focus on the cracks and crevices. That has worked for me so far.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdmaccord View Post
    Problem with taping off is that a lot of times I see the orange iron flecks in between the spaces in the emblems, so you need to get the IX in those areas. If they were solid emblems, then maybe try taping them off (but you actually have to have the tape on the paint a little bit to try and create a seal). It's really easiest to just rinse really well. I like to go around the car twice with a really good jet of water and really focus on the cracks and crevices. That has worked for me so far.
    Thanks, I ask because I have the product but waiting for the weather to break and I have never used it.

Super Member Pinpoint_Precision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike great tip for sure. Iron X is a must have not just for the professionals but any car enthusiast that wants your paint flawless, this is a must have. Well worth the investment.
    Pinpoint Precision Auto Detailing
    Modesta Glass Coating | Suntek Ultra PPF

Http://www.pinpointprecisionautodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Nice!
    Picked up my first bottle of IX, been going the "Clay-only" route. Looking forward to see what the deal is on this.

Post Thanks / Like

Being new to the forum I am just learning how little I knew about detailing but glad to be learning so much.

I had never heard of Iron X before but I certainly want to start using it. I have a question, though. The AG link to Iron X states this precaution: Note: Iron X should not be used on bare metal parts, brake calipers, wheel balancing weights, or SMART paint repairs. Mask off these areas.

I imagine one would use the blue painter's tape to cover the wheel balancing weights, but how do you mask off the calipers? Are the barrels of stock wheels usually safe for Iron -X?

Thanks for your help!

Post Thanks / Like

Great article Mike! I would note that this product is somewhat an acid type product. I do not use it without protection for my skin. Also at the very least stay up wind of the spray or use it in a place where there is no wind but very good ventilation. It is an awesome product and does make the claying process go much faster.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Angler View Post
    Being new to the forum I am just learning how little I knew about detailing but glad to be learning so much.

I had never heard of Iron X before but I certainly want to start using it. I have a question, though. The AG link to Iron X states this precaution: Note: Iron X should not be used on bare metal parts, brake calipers, wheel balancing weights, or SMART paint repairs. Mask off these areas.

I imagine one would use the blue painter's tape to cover the wheel balancing weights, but how do you mask off the calipers? Are the barrels of stock wheels usually safe for Iron -X?

Thanks for your help!
    Use a plastic grocery bag or trash bag to cover the rotor and caliper. Tuck it in between the wheel and the rotor. This will block the iron x from hitting the caliper and rotor which causes it to rust. It takes less than a minute to block off a rotor and caliper with this method.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hazcat View Post
    Use a plastic grocery bag or trash bag to cover the rotor and caliper. Tuck it in between the wheel and the rotor. This will block the iron x from hitting the caliper and rotor which causes it to rust. It takes less than a minute to block off a rotor and caliper with this method.
    Thanks, Hazcat!

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! Mike you get a lot of nice rides to work with! Let me ask you all this . Can't you just dilute Iron X on cars that is not badly contaminated? To prevent molding drip? The product works with water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast