autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 16 of 58 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collinite #845: The Definitive How-To Guide For This Legendary Wax

Quote Originally Posted by etrips View Post
    Any recommendations on what type of applicator to use if I will be applying this by hand?
    I like to use foam. Remember, a little goes a very long way.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like
    By the door waiting for my 845 and DA to come in today! Great info

Post Thanks / Like

No matter what I do I can't seem to apply this stuff and wipe it completely off. It always has haze the next day, especially after a rain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KillaCam View Post
    No matter what I do I can't seem to apply this stuff and wipe it completely off. It always has haze the next day, especially after a rain.
    Are you applying by hand or machine? Applying by hand makes it hard to get a thin coat on the paint. Even with a machine it can be tricky. Just sounds like you need to cut down on the amount of product you use.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KillaCam View Post
    You might be seeing carnauba "sweating" - it can happen when you apply too thickly and remove too soon. Basically it seems like you've removed all of the residue, and then the next day (or couple of days) a haze re-appears, almost as if you hadn't buffed the wax off. Just use a QD and MF to remove (and be cognizant that the haze might re-appear over the next several days). 845 needs to be applied really, really thin - to the point where it almost seems as if you haven't applied anything; if you're easily able to see where you've applied the wax, you've put it on too thickly.
    Francis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by umi000 View Post
    You might be seeing carnauba "sweating" - it can happen when you apply too thickly and remove too soon. Basically it seems like you've removed all of the residue, and then the next day (or couple of days) a haze re-appears, almost as if you hadn't buffed the wax off. Just use a QD and MF to remove (and be cognizant that the haze might re-appear over the next several days). 845 needs to be applied really, really thin - to the point where it almost seems as if you haven't applied anything; if you're easily able to see where you've applied the wax, you've put it on too thickly.
    I've tried by hand and machine. Both were about equally hazy. I followed this guide and actually only used 3 small drops on the pad and that lasted me at least on panel, then I did the glass test. Guess I will try to apply it where I can barely even tell it's on the paint next time. This stuff seems like it spreads forever. How long do you typically leave it on the paint before you wipe it off?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Great write-up Nick.

Here's a tip:
    (I didn't read through all 16 pages so sorry if this has been mentioned already).

1. Buy your 845 from AG.
    2. Pick a FREE sample such that comes in a little bottle such as soveran liquid wax.

3. Use/empty the sample product and clean the container.
    4. Thoroughly mix your 845 then transfer a small portion of it to the sample bottle.

Not only will this make application of the 845 to your pad easier, you won't need to shake/warm the entire container everytime you wax.

I'm no Walter White but constantly changing the state of a bottle of 845 from near-solid to liquid, which could be hundreds of times considering how little is used, could permanently change the product and alter its effectiveness.

Post Thanks / Like

ROFL!!!!! "I'm no Walter White......"

Once upon a time I had no other options to warm that 845 mess. (No hot water where I was) I placed my hand within about 1/2" of it and turned on the Master Blaster aiming it between my hand and the bottle. The friction of the air warmed it in about 1-2 minutes.

+1 Master Blaster
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Collinite #845 The Definitive How To Guide For This Legendary Wax

Cheers for reply dude. Just off to pub to watch the footy but will PM you later as i love the look of this mod.
    Do you know if this and the SAS mod effects emissions that could cause a problem for our MOT test here in the UK?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

just wondering how you guys spread the drips of 845 over your pad. When using a blue pad I noticed that when I place the pad on the surface I see the drips, the glass tests shows the drips and a few other spots but not full pad coverage. I've ordered the crimson hydrotech pad to try that. Let me know your thoughts.

Also, I put on a very thin coat on a black car, when doing so, should I be able to see the product going on or no? After I add a couple more drops for a new panel, I can see the wax going on evenly, If I move to a second panel without adding more product then I am unable to see the product being spread by the DA. Thoughts?

Page 16 of 58 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast