autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Newbie to the DA polisher

So my flex 3401 should be in the mail in 2 days. This is my first polisher, so I was wondering if some of you might be willing to share some tips/dos&dont's/other information that might be helpful(either in general or specific to the flex polisher).

I have read the basic guides on AG but I'd like a bit more from you guys

I will be starting out using it for claying, putting down some glaze glaze and waxing. I will move onto the actual polishing aspect after I get more experience.

Newbie Member Paul_no_Longer_uses_this_account's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie to the DA polisher

I'm also new to the DA polishers and here are some articles and videos that Mike recommended for me.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ce-needed.html

Post Thanks / Like

Aww yeah! Thanks!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think the most important recommendation would be to

1. Work in small areas
    2. Tape trim
    3. Take your time
    4. Use pads no larger than 6"
    5. Practice

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of general tips for the flex with forced rotation.

1. Keep the pad flat against the paint. You really do not need as much downward pressure as a non-forced DA.

2. Body/arm position is a little more critical to guide it especially on vertical panels.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on your new Da, BTW claying is a step used without a da. Spray lubricant on a rub the bar over the lubricant
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking of getting one too but I have some questions please.

I have a brand new car, no problems with the paint on new car and I like to wash and wax (in the 3 months I own the car, I have waxed it 3 times already).

Do I really need a DA Polisher ? Will it help me saves time in waxing my new car ?

or is the DA polisher more for cars with paint issues ?

Thanks in advance.

Last question, would you say that Flex is better (for newbie) that PC ?

Post Thanks / Like

Oz_TCH, I had the same dilemma after I bought a brand new Mercedes ML350 at the end of May. I took it home and gave it a good wash and clay. Then I sealed the paint with Duragloss 601/105 (two coats) followed with a topper of AquaWax. It looked beautiful and glistened so much (especially under lights and in the sun) that I named it "Diamond Jim". The color is called Diamond White and was a $1500 option. I think it is something like five layers of top German paint but whatever it is it is fantastic looking and will never show swirls, oxidation or anything else - as long as I treat it half way decent.

I figured that if it looks this good now just think what I could do with a machine. Since I live in Texas it would never see salt, snow or sand and it is basically a garage queen, leaving the safety of the garage only about twice a week. Since I retired I have never put over 7500 miles a year on a car and I never go off road or haul anything. So I debated about really needing a polisher. I never owned a DA polisher in the 50 years I've been driving automobiles. I've always done everything by hand but my hands are getting old and I thought a polisher might also help in the finger joint soreness department. So, I bought a Griot 6" and a bunch of pads. I tested it by cleaning out my hot tub, golf cart and shower stall and it did a great job although the golf cart was no better than I did by hand.

After everything was said and done I thought to myself that no way was this beast getting near that Mercedes paint. One false move and I've destroyed a great paint. I simply felt I did not have experience enough to work on this vehicle and did not have confidence even though I read all the books and saw all the videos. Having said all this, I decided that I will experiment further and I have my girl's older car and I also own a seven year old pick-up truck I can hone my technique with before going to the Mercedes.

The point of this story is that no, you do not "need" a DA polisher, especially for a new car. But I am certain that once I (and you) get the hang of it we will wonder how we lived without it. Even though an expert might do just as good a job as by hand on a new car, if for no other reason, a machine will make this go much easier and faster.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oz_TCH View Post
    I'm thinking of getting one too but I have some questions please.

I have a brand new car, no problems with the paint on new car and I like to wash and wax (in the 3 months I own the car, I have waxed it 3 times already).

Do I really need a DA Polisher ? Will it help me saves time in waxing my new car ?

or is the DA polisher more for cars with paint issues ?

Thanks in advance.

Last question, would you say that Flex is better (for newbie) that PC ?
    Washing and waxing is how each and every one of us began taking care of our vehicles including yours truly. Once you do a bit of reading and understand the effects of weather and airborne contaminates has on your finish, you begin to see how and why correct finish care is so important.

Basic steps in order are:

• Wash
    • Clay
    • Paint Correction & Polish
    • Seal
    • Wax

Just because your car is new doesn't mean the finish is pristine and doesn't need much care. As an example, I clayed half the hood on a 3 month old Hyundai Elantra Limited.

Dual Action Polisher

A dual action polisher is one of the most important tools to have in your detailing arsenal. Using a dual action polisher will ensure consistency and uniformity in any process its used.

Here is just a few;

Compounding
    Polishing
    Finish polishing
    1-Step products
    Sealants
    Waxes

Time is another important consideration.

Applying both sealants and waxes correctly and thinly is critically important and applying it correctly takes only a few minutes to cover an entire panel....

The Flex 3401 is the finest and most robust dual action polisher available today. It's forced rotation ensures consistent pad rotation regardless of the force applied. The Flex 3401 is very easy to use for both the novice and veteran alike. With all of its well deserved accolades it's not without one criticism....its price.

The Flex 3401 tips the price scale at almost $400 so keep this in mind when deciding which machine is right for you. Spend some time reading and determining what machine is right for you...

How to choose the right polisher for your detailing project

How to pick the right polisher

Here's more great information by Mike Phillips that will help you.

Articles by Mike Phillips

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast