autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex XC3401 4" Pad Question

I have a Flex XC3401VRG and it works well. It is easy to use on large areas but on the cars I regularly detail there are many small areas that need a smaller pad. Should I sell my Flex and pick up a PC XP with the 5.5 & 4 inch pads or just add the PC XP to my kit? I don't think I can justify keeping both buffers as use them on my personal cars only. Thoughts?

Anyone interested in a lightly used Flex with case and pads? I bought it new from Detailed Image. It is in excellent shape. What should I sell it for if I decide to? Anyone here wanting to moveup to the Flex?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex XC3401 4" Pad Question

For the smaller areas, you can just do them by hand if getting an XP is out of the question. OR you can fabricate a smaller BP for the flex, i read a post about someone who has successfully cut his BP down. You might want to consider that.

Stop whining and crying like a baby! Life sucks...deal with it!

Post Thanks / Like

The Flex 3401 is a great machine. If you can add an additional DA polisher to your arsenal then I suggest you do. It's a one-time purchase and you'll more than likely have them forever.

I have different size backing plates for my Porter Cable 7424 that allows me to use 6", 5 1/2", 4" and 3" diameter pads.

The backing plate on the Flex can be turned down to accommodate smaller pads but if you attempt this I suggest it be done on a lathe.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I know that someone used to make an adapter plate for the Flex. I guess that is no longer made. Is the PC XP easier to handle on car vertical surfaces? I find the Flex to be a handful on the vertical surfaces. I am thinking a PC XP with 4" pads might be the ticket. If I find out the PC XP is all I really need I can get larger 5.5" pads for it and sell the Flex.

Post Thanks / Like

The Porter Cable is a smaller, lighter, less powerful machine. This said, it is easier on the body that the Flex.

You can sell the Flex but the question is how much of a financial hit will you take? New, the Flex is a $300 machine, used you'll probably get $200 to $225. The amount of depreciation you'll absorb will nearly pay for a Porter Cable polisher.

Ultimately it's your decision.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by jmark350z View Post

Is the PC XP easier to handle on car vertical surfaces?
    It's the easiest machine to use when ti comes to removing swirls and polishing to a high gloss on both vertical and horizontal panels.

I gave it a ranking of 1 in my article on polishers...

How to choose the right polisher for your detailing project

Quote Originally Posted by jmark350z View Post
    I find the Flex to be a handful on the vertical surfaces. I am thinking a PC XP with 4" pads might be the ticket. If I find out the PC XP is all I really need I can get larger 5.5" pads for it and sell the Flex.
    Used 4" pads quite a bit on the swoopy panels of this Porsche and whenever I could used the 5.5" pads for maximum efficiency...

1994 Porsche Detailed for "Operation Comfort" Modeled by Brittany from Stuart, Florida

The Porter Cable and similar DA Polishers can do amazing work when used with the right pads, products and technique...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike. I'll check the articles out.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you will be sorry if you give up the Flex for the PC. Keep the Flex and add the PC to your arsenal. Or get the Edge FLEX XC 3401 Conversion Adapter (on back order).

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to use 4" Edge pads with your Flex, maybe someone can tell you when this will be back in stock: Edge FLEX XC 3401 Conversion Adapter, Edge Pads adapter for FLEX Orbital Buffer, 3M Edge 2000 Adapter . 3M still seems to show them.

Post Thanks / Like

^ Anyone know if/when this will be available again? Thanks.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast