autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Help me pick a polisher

My head is spinning after reading several posts, articles, and videos. I've never used a machine polisher before but want to start. To begin with my personal cars I will be detailing are all silver. First one being my wife's 2004 BMW X3 Titanium Silver Metallic, second my 1995 BMW M3 in Article Silver Metallic, and possibly soon to be sold 2007 Honda Fit Sport Storm Silver.

Anyone have any suggestions where to start for a polisher and polish? I'm considering either the Porter Cable 7424xp or Griotts Garage 6". Also looking into the Wolfgang products as the videos I watched are using those. Maybe there something better for these silver metallic cars? Furthermore confused on which pads. as far as the current condition of the paint the BMWs I'd consider in good shape, not too neglected and difficult to find swirls...need to take some pics. The honda isn't too bad either nut again that may be sold soon.

Thoughts? Or should I post pics first?

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help me pick a polisher

Quote Originally Posted by puma1824 View Post
    My head is spinning after reading several posts, articles, and videos. I've never used a machine polisher before but want to start. To begin with my personal cars I will be detailing are all silver. First one being my wife's 2004 BMW X3 Titanium Silver Metallic, second my 1995 BMW M3 in Article Silver Metallic, and possibly soon to be sold 2007 Honda Fit Sport Storm Silver.

Anyone have any suggestions where to start for a polisher and polish? I'm considering either the Porter Cable 7424xp or Griots Garage 6". Also looking into the Wolfgang products as the videos I watched are using those. Maybe there something better for these silver metallic cars? Furthermore confused on which pads. as far as the current condition of the paint the BMWs I'd consider in good shape, not too neglected and difficult to find swirls...need to take some pics. The honda isn't too bad either nut again that may be sold soon.

Thoughts? Or should I post pics first?

Thanks in advance.
    with the plethora of pads & products out these days, there shouldn't be much you can't tackle with it. pick up a 3-3'5" and 5" DA backing plates as well as corresponding pads...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    with the plethora of pads & products out these days, there shouldn't be much you can't tackle with it. pick up a 3-3'5" and 5" DA backing plates as well as corresponding pads...
    Yeah thus the reason I'm confused what to initially get.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Basic steps in order are:

• Wash
    • Clay
    • Paint Correction & Polish
    • Seal
    • Wax

For personal use or raising the bar by detailing their vehicles it would be hard to beat Porter Cable's 7424XP. I prefer 5 1/2" pads over the larger 6 1/2" pads normally included in many kits.

The smaller 5 1/2" pads are easier on the machine and user. Because they're smaller they fit nicely into smaller areas creating more uniform results.

The Porter Cable 7424xp

Here's some great information by Mike Phillips that will help you.

Deep Gloss Combo....

If you'd like some product suggestions that perform, take a look at these. I will guarantee they will not disappoint...

Wash - Duragloss #901
    Clay - Meguiar's
    Compound - Menzerna FG-400
    Polish - Menzerna PF-2500
    Finishing Polish - Menzerna SF-4000
    Sealant - CarPro Reload
    Wax - Collinite 845
    Spray Wax - Optimum Car Wax
    Tire Cleaner - Meguiar's Super Degreaser
    Wheel Cleaner - Sonax Full Effect
    Tire Treatment - CarPro PERL
    Wheel Protectant - Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0
    Trim Protectant - CarPro DLux
    All Purpose Cleaner - Optimum Power Clean
    Glass Cleaner - Meguiar's Glass Cleaner
    Glass Treatment - Aquapel
    Interior Protectant - Meguiar's M40

Foam Pads

Yellow Cutting Foam
    - Use this pad to apply compounds or polishes to remove severe oxidation, swirls, and scratches. It is the most aggressive and should only be used on oxidized and older finishes. Always follow this pad with an orange or white pad and a fine polish to refine the paint until it is smooth.

Orange Light Cutting Foam - Firm, high density foam for scratch and defect removal. Use this pad with polishes and swirl removers. It’s an all-around pad that will work on most light to moderate imperfections.

White Polishing Foam - Less dense foam formula for the application of waxes, micro-fine polishes and sealants. This pad has very light cutting power so it’s perfect for pre-wax cleaners.

Gray Finishing Foam Pad - Composition is firm enough to withstand added pressure during final finishing to remove buffer swirls. It has no cut and will apply thin, even coats of waxes, sealants, and glazes.

Blue Finessing Foam – Pad has soft composition for applying glaze, finishing polish, sealants, and liquid waxes. Flat pad provides full contact with paint surface to minimize the pressure applied by the user.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had my Griot's 3 and 6" for 4 yrs w/o an issue and then there's there lifetime warranty and SUPERIOR customer service, easy choice for me!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like
    You should get a Griots 6" for your first polisher. Unless your rich - then get a Rupes 15, a Mini, their polishes, and a bunch of their pads. The GG6" is the best bang for the buck, and can be used with pads 3-6.5" effectively. It's a lot more powerful than a PC, comes with a useable backing plate and bale handle, and a lifetime warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Good luck in choosing a DA. I picked the PC 7424 XP when I started. The reason why is that you can get several different size backing plates to do several different polishing tasks. I cannot comment on a Griot's 6" as I have not used it. I do have their 3" DA polisher and do not waste your money on that. Just get different size backing plates to accomplish the same thing but better with the PC.

As for pads: I have 3...the Orange Pad for Compound Polishing (Megs 105 or equivalent), The White Pad for Polishing (Megs 205 or equivalent) and the Red Pad for sealant and waxes. Some may use the black or grey but same result.

I would follow BobbyG's advice. He is pretty much spot on. (I prefer the Menzerna Polishes over any others), but Megs 105 and 205 are more known.

Another option is that AGO sells the kits in a bundle at great prices. Look into that. Another great way is to look at Mike Phillips how to videos on the PC 7424 XP. That will help.

Welcome to the Matrix of Detailing!!!! It will be fun!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    You should get a Griots 6" for your first polisher. Unless your rich - then get a Rupes 15, a Mini, their polishes, and a bunch of their pads. The GG6" is the best bang for the buck, and can be used with pads 3-6.5" effectively. It's a lot more powerful than a PC, comes with a useable backing plate and bale handle, and a lifetime warranty.
    The Griots 6" is a great machine for the money. And for someone who just wants to see if polishing is a good hobby, then you cannot beat the HF polisher.

Sure, the LHR12E Duetto will cut better, but at 3x the cost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Don't forget to get the belt while your at it, LOL!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by puma1824 View Post
    My head is spinning after reading several posts, articles, and videos. I've never used a machine polisher before but want to start.
    Get one of the Rupes 15 or Duetto package kits. Stunning results every time and very easy to use for a beginner.
    -----------------------------------
    http://www.birminghamautodetailing.com