autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking for a thread

Hi guys,
    First post here, I found this website from a google search about "cold weather waxing" and I've done a lot of reading on here since then. I will say that you guys are nuts! (in a good way).

Anyway, I remember reading a thread where Mike was talking about a product and he had a lot of pictures in it of the car he was working on; it turned into quite a lengthy thread (100+replies) when another member questioned if the product was fixing the problem or just masking it. Now I wanted to go back and see what the product was being used and I can't find the thread after searches and browsing this forum, the product review forum, and the ask the expert forum.

Any help?

Thanks!

BTW, PC 7424 and a selection of pads being delivered Thursday. I've got a 2007 black Silverado that needs work, and my wife just got a 2013 Mini Cooper Countryman, also black, but with lots of stripes.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for a thread

You will find that most all waxes will help to fill in or "mask" very minor defects. This is obviously not the desired approach for most people, as true paint correction will actually eliminate the defects and create a much smoother more appealing surface.

Make sure to post some before/during/after pics of your rides when you clean them up!

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

To Autogeek Online!

Rest assured, we are a bit out there and the very reason we congregate here...

While we'd all love to completely remove a finish defect, occasionally they're more severe that we'd like to see. The defects I'm referring to are those that require refinishing. That said, small deep scratches can be filled in with a color matching paint, carefully wet sanded, then buffed. This method really hides the deep scratch or chip by filling it however close examination reveals the repair but makes it very hard to see.

Great examples of finish defects

Glazes

Other not so severe defects can be hidden or masked with glaze products. Glazes have fillers suspended in oils that when applied fill these blemishes making them disappear however this is only temporary.

Glazes themselves offer no protection and if not sealed or waxed will disappear revealing the blemish once again. Remember, glazes are nothing more than a temporary solution to a long term problem.

Improving a defect

Scratches, swirls, and chip are very noticeable and drive most of us crazy. These defects have sharp edges and all reflect light making themselves stand out like a sore thumb. When properly correcting this type of defect is not possible then the there are only two logical choices; do nothing or improve the defect making it less noticeable.

As you compound, the fine abrasives begin to wear and round over the sharp edges. Rounded edges reflect light differently and this blending process improves the defect making it both more difficult to see and feel.

Getting started

Some great information by Mike Phillips

Claying

Looking for answers to your dual action questions, look no further!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by justgeorge View Post

Anyway, I remember reading a thread where Mike was talking about a product and he had a lot of pictures in it of the car he was working on; it turned into quite a lengthy thread (100+replies) when another member questioned if the product was fixing the problem or just masking it.

Off the top of my head, that sounds like this thread.... hard to say as most of my write-ups have a lot of pictures and lots of questions...

1-Step versus 3-Step Process by Hand

If the above is not the article, do you remember the car?

Mike Phillips

BTW, PC 7424 and a selection of pads being delivered Thursday. I've got a 2007 black Silverado that needs work, and my wife just got a 2013 Mini Cooper Countryman, also black, but with lots of stripes.

One thing for sure,

"Black is not a color, it's a full time job"

Don't skimp when it comes time for any compounds or polishes. The key to any car care brand is the abrasive technology used in the compounds, poishes and even cleaenr/waxes or as some call them, AIO's.

The abrasive technology needs to be able to remove a defects without leaving it's own defect at the same time.

If you look through any of the Thursday Night Garage Projects I showcase a lot of great products...

Pictures from Autogeek's Car of the Week

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Off the top of my head, that sounds like this thread.... hard to say as most of my write-ups have a lot of pictures and lots of questions...

1-Step versus 3-Step Process by Hand

If the above is not the article, do you remember the car?

That's the one I was looking for, thanks!

Mike Phillips

That's the one I was looking for, thanks!

That was a fun thread...