autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Girlfriend's mom wants me (noob) to detail her car...

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    No risk. Don't lean to hard on the bumpers on either step though

Sounds like these people love their daughter very much and are concerned about her future well being. The best thing you can do is show them respect, show them your responsible and that you're not lazy

When are you doing this, tommorow?
    It would be Sunday. I'm compounding my own car completely tomorrow sun-up and doing my girlfriend's - just the cleaner wax (bad clear coat). By then I should be comfortable enough to tackle the job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by y8s View Post
    maybe you're reading too much (or too little) into their offer. clearly they trust you enough to give you the opportunity. and clearly they aren't too worried about a 2006 honda with swirly paint. maybe all they want is to reach out and show you they're not intimidating.

you can treat them like a customer and ask them what their expectations are. explain the same you thing you did in your first post in general terms.

1. is the most aggressive and could yield the best results but also means a little risk.
    2. is less reward but almost no risk
    3. is safe but limited results.

they will tell you what they're comfortable with and if you're lucky, it'll be "learn something! try #1 and see how you do!"
    Great advice!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
    If you are going to do a show car, by show car I mean a full detail, use this method

1.rims and tires -wash scrub rinse
    2.two bucket method wash with quality car soap
    3.dry
    4.clay
    5dry
    6 total interinor detail -degrease door jambs vaccum, clean mats , interior protectant windows
    7. paint correction inside is best as heat will mess up your compound
    8 shine tires and fix up little pieces
    Thank you. This list is very helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleanFlow View Post
    It would be Sunday. I'm compounding my own car completely tomorrow sun-up and doing my girlfriend's - just the cleaner wax (bad clear coat). By then I should be comfortable enough to tackle the job.
    You might not ever win their approval. Some people are just goofy. Thats why they are called monster in laws

G L on the detail
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

If you are scared of using m105 on such soft paint, you could try ultimate compound with a test spot. I reccomend also drying in shade as the water will form water spots quickly.
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

dont forget to use less aggressive first, do a test spot, if the result satisfy you then do same on rest of the car..

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. This list is very helpful.
    They will look at the interior more so then the exterior, so give it a little more attention. They will notice that there's no more dust on the vent louvers more so than if the grill on the exterior is clean.

Post Thanks / Like

If I'm understanding this right you're planning on doing the entire car in one day. Does that include doing the interior? If it does you might as well plan on working from 12:01 AM to 11:59 PM Sunday because there is no way you will be able to do an entire wash, clay, interior detail, paint correction and LSP in one day. Especially if you are (in your terms) a noob. What I would do instead is Bill's list but as far as paint correction just do a test spot on a flat surface like the hood or the roof and make that spot as flawless as you can get it. It would be counter-productive for you to try to correct the entire car if you can't perfect a test spot. If you run into RIDS (which is highly likely) after paint correction explain what they are and that the process to correct them is more involved and carries a much bigger risk. If they like how good the test spot looks they might let you have at it for a full correction (make sure they know how long it might take). Plus if they are gonna be present while you're working they're probably going to be asking a lot of questions about your process, what you're using, etc. This could be a good bonding exercise to get you and your GF's parents closer and break that indimidation ice. Maybe when you do the clay bar process demonstrate the baggie test or when you clean the interior put a strip of masking tape down on the dashboard to show a side by side comparison. If you do a good job here they could send some of their friend's cars your way or other family members.

Post Thanks / Like

Concentrate on interior and use an AIO or 205 with white pad on outside and OCW.

Females notice scent and interior, men tend to notice more of exterior.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to come out and say it, I'm scared of my girlfriend's parents. They are very successful businesspeople and are a very intimidating. They heard that I was interested in and researching detailing cars and offered theirs for me to practice. Needless to say, I can't screw this up.
    And you should be!

I have two daughters and had a friendly "chat" with a few boyfriends back in the day. I asked them to be respectable and if something goes wrong don't bother running because I will find you....and you'll only die tired.....

I'm a little nervous because it is a red 2006 Honda Accord and I heard Honda paint was very soft. I have no problem going away at my Mustang's hard clear coat but am too scared to touch this paint haha.

What steps should I take to fix this car? The paint is in good shape with no clear coat failure, just very dull and has a lot of spiderweb swirls. It also has door dings in numerous places. Here are the related products I have...

PC 7424XP
    Soap and Clay Bar which I'll obviously use

Here's Where I'm Unsure:

1) M105 then M205 then Synthetic Wax
    2) Just M205 then Synthetic Wax
    3) Just Cleaner Wax then Synthetic Wax to stay on the safe side

Thanks for the help.
    Good, so you're not completely new to detailing...

Basic steps in order are:

• Wash
    • Clay
    • Paint Correction & Polish
    • Seal
    • Wax

Advise

1. My first advise is to take a good look at the car and note any damage or deep scratches. Keep in mind that this car is nearly 7 years old and is a daily driver.
    2. Take your time! Your main goal is to impress with quality, not a record setting pace.

Plan your attack and prepare accordingly.

I do my interiors first then the doors & door jambs.

Tires, wheels and wheel wells next.

• Wash the entire car
    • Clay
    • Wash again then dry.
    • Tape off those pieces that could become stained from compounds and polishes.

These products work particularly well when used with the following pads.

Correct small sections and be careful the compounds and polishes don't dry out otherwise you'll impart additional defects to the finish.

I always suggest using 5 1/2" foam pads on this style of machine

Here's some great information by Mike Phillips that will help you.

Once the correction is complete wash each panel with CarPro Eraser to remove all of the polishing oils making the freshly polished paint ready for a protective layer or sealant or wax...

Finally

Inspect everything closely to ensure you've done a great job....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast