autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking What a deal!! I wasn't planning on getting a DA polisher, but ...

I was originally not going to get a DA polisher since I am not sure how much I will use one. I started reading a few posts on this forum and many of you recommend them. I just wasn't sure if I would use one enough to spend that kind of money. I was out today and saw an open box Meguiar's G110v2 for a deal I couldn't pass up. It is still new, but the bag is missing. $60 sounded like a great deal to me though. I made sure everything else was still there. Now I will have to buy some pads and learn to use it. It will probably be all I need since I will just use it on my cars.

Tech Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What a deal!! I wasn't planning on getting a DA polisher, but ...

Quote Originally Posted by TechDiver View Post
    I was originally not going to get a DA polisher since I am not sure how much I will use one. I started reading a few posts on this forum and many of you recommend them. I just wasn't sure if I would use one enough to spend that kind of money. I was out today and saw an open box Meguiar's G110v2 for a deal I couldn't pass up. It is still new, but the bag is missing. $60 sounded like a great deal to me though. I made sure everything else was still there. Now I will have to buy some pads and learn to use it. It will probably be all I need since I will just use it on my cars.

Tech Diver
    You lucky dog!!!! Thats an awesome deal! I wouldn't care about the bag, I think thats less than half what they sell for on Autogeek.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you waked into that one!!

Here's some great information by Mike Phillips that will help you.

Foam Pads

Yellow Cutting Foam
    - Use this pad to apply compounds or polishes to remove severe oxidation, swirls, and scratches. It is the most aggressive and should only be used on oxidized and older finishes. Always follow this pad with an orange or white pad and a fine polish to refine the paint until it is smooth.

Coarse Green Cutting/Polishing - This foam is of medium density with the ability to level very fine scratches and very light oxidation. Use light swirl removers with this pad.

Orange Light Cutting Foam
    - Firm, high density foam for scratch and defect removal. Use this pad with polishes and swirl removers. It’s an all around pad that will work on most light to moderate imperfections.

White Polishing Foam
    - Less dense foam formula for the application of waxes, micro-fine polishes and sealants. This pad has very light cutting power so it’s perfect for pre-wax cleaners.

Green Polishing/Finishing Foam - Use this foam to apply one-step cleaner waxes. It is a balance of polishing and finishing that is perfect for all-in-one product application.

Gray Finishing Foam Pad - Composition is firm enough to withstand added pressure during final finishing to remove buffer swirls. It has no cut and will apply thin, even coats of waxes, sealants, and glazes.

Blue Finessing Foam
    – Pad has soft composition for applying glaze, finishing polish, sealants, and liquid waxes. Flat pad provides full contact with paint surface to minimize the pressure applied by the user.

Red Ultra-soft Wax/Sealant Foam
    - This soft, imported foam is ideal for applying the final coat of wax or sealant. The foam works especially well when applying liquid waxes or sealants because it is firm enough to keep the majority of the product on the paint, rather than soaking it up. The red foam has no cut or cleaning ability.

Super Soft Gold Jewelling Foam - The CCS Super Soft Gold Jewelling Pad is made of Lake Country's softest foam. Use the gold pad to apply a very fine polish or glaze as the final step of the polishing process. Jewelling is the term coined for this step because it intensifies gloss and reflectivity, like a jewel. The gold foam pad also works well for wax and sealant application.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Sounds like you waked into that one!!

Here's some great information by Mike Phillips that will help you.

Foam Pads

Yellow Cutting Foam
    - Use this pad to apply compounds or polishes to remove severe oxidation, swirls, and scratches. It is the most aggressive and should only be used on oxidized and older finishes. Always follow this pad with an orange or white pad and a fine polish to refine the paint until it is smooth.

Coarse Green Cutting/Polishing - This foam is of medium density with the ability to level very fine scratches and very light oxidation. Use light swirl removers with this pad.

Orange Light Cutting Foam
    - Firm, high density foam for scratch and defect removal. Use this pad with polishes and swirl removers. It’s an all around pad that will work on most light to moderate imperfections.

White Polishing Foam
    - Less dense foam formula for the application of waxes, micro-fine polishes and sealants. This pad has very light cutting power so it’s perfect for pre-wax cleaners.

Green Polishing/Finishing Foam - Use this foam to apply one-step cleaner waxes. It is a balance of polishing and finishing that is perfect for all-in-one product application.

Gray Finishing Foam Pad - Composition is firm enough to withstand added pressure during final finishing to remove buffer swirls. It has no cut and will apply thin, even coats of waxes, sealants, and glazes.

Blue Finessing Foam
    – Pad has soft composition for applying glaze, finishing polish, sealants, and liquid waxes. Flat pad provides full contact with paint surface to minimize the pressure applied by the user.

Red Ultra-soft Wax/Sealant Foam
    - This soft, imported foam is ideal for applying the final coat of wax or sealant. The foam works especially well when applying liquid waxes or sealants because it is firm enough to keep the majority of the product on the paint, rather than soaking it up. The red foam has no cut or cleaning ability.

Super Soft Gold Jewelling Foam - The CCS Super Soft Gold Jewelling Pad is made of Lake Country's softest foam. Use the gold pad to apply a very fine polish or glaze as the final step of the polishing process. Jewelling is the term coined for this step because it intensifies gloss and reflectivity, like a jewel. The gold foam pad also works well for wax and sealant application.
    Sweet. I haven't looked up everything on it yet, but you made that easy. I love my electronic devices and power tools. It looks like I may be an autogeek before it is over. This is just going to add many more items to my autogeek wishlist. My wife is going to hate that part.

Post Thanks / Like

Something I forgot to mention: Stick with the 5 1/2" diameter pads on these machines and you'll be very pleased with the results....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Mike Phillips

Check out this thread... pictures of backing plates and pads with links to make it easy to figure out what you want...

5 inch Backing Plates on Meguiar's, Griot's and Porter Cable DA Polishers

Post Thanks / Like

I think Bobby G and Mike Pillips are, in fact, the same person. Neither ever misses a beat to reply with a helpful link or two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Check out this thread... pictures of backing plates and pads with links to make it easy to figure out what you want...

Thank you Mike and Bobby.

Sent from Android via TapaTalk 2.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

So I need to switch the stock 6" W68DA backing plate out for a 5" version?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TechDiver View Post
    So I need to switch the stock 6" W68DA backing plate out for a 5" version?
    Yes, you need a run a 5" backing plate to use 5.5" pads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast