autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New Car Detailing Process

Hi all,

Well I get my brand new Golf GTI this week, I have always looked after my cars but this one will out do them all I have always been a fan of Meguiars until recently when I decided to look outside the box and wow the amount of products out there is a bit overwhelming. So far I have decided I am going to run with Pinnacle, I have a few questions as I want to make sure I get it right the first time, the colour of the car is Carbon Steel and I would like some advice on whether what I have written below seems about right:

Full detail
    Wash with Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo
    Clay with Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay
    Paint Cleanse with Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion
    Polish with Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish
    Wax with Pinnacle Signature Series II Carnauba Paste Wax

1 - Will all of this be likely required with a brand new car?
    2 - How often is too often to follow this whole process if I have it right?
    3 - Is there anything else I should also be adding into this process?

In between full details (weekly or fortnightly)
    Wash with Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo
    Wax with Pinnacle Crystal Mist Carnauba Detail Spray

1 - I feel I need to be doing more in between, maybe a polish also?

Hopefully you haven't all fallen asleep with the short story I have just written

Thanks

Rachel

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Car Detailing Process

Hey Rachel,

Welcome aboard and good luck with your new car!!

I see you fancy Pinnacle products! They are a nice brand and will please even the most discriminating car owner.

I'm in favor of using either the paint cleanse or finishing polish but not both in this case. Everything else looks pretty good and the Signature Series ll wax will leave the surface very shinny.

Will you be using a dual action polisher for the polishing? I do recommend this approach due to it's efficiency and consistency for both polishing and wax application.

The Porter Cable 7424xp

Here's some great information by Mike Phillips that will help you.

If you live in an environment where durability is an important attribute then consider a sealant after the polishing step. Sealants protect longer that their wax counterpart. They're very easy to apply and by adding 2 coats then wax you'll leave the finish with a deep glossy shine...

For maintenance wash regularly then dry, to avoid water spots, then use a spray wax like Optimum Spray Car Wax or Duragloss Aquawax....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks BobbyG much appreciated

I will be doing everything by hand, I'm to worried I'll do damage with a polisher.

With the paint cleanse or polish is this something you would rotate or just pick one or the other?

So your saying to add in 2 x coats of sealant then wax, can you suggest a brand that will work well with Pinnacle?

With the spray waxing in between I assume the Pinnacle one will be ok to use as I am primarily going to run with this product Pinnacle Crystal Mist Detail Spray or Pinnacle Souveran Liquid Spray Wax

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get it right the first time round.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the GTI club!
    Hope you received yours in better paint condition than I did mine. The dealership really jacked my paint job up pretty bad.

What color and model did you get?

As to polishing by hand, you're not likely to be able to correct much of any problems without a polisher. The Volkswagen paint can be pretty hard - making it hard to remove deeper issues if you ever come upon one.

Congrats on the car, I absolutely love my GTI.
    -Brent

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Rachel, Congrats on the new car. I am also a big fan of meguiars, Great products for the money. If you want to have a simple way to detail a car here it is

clean rim and tire
    wash
    dry
    clay
    dry
    interior
    clean and dress console and dash
    tire shine
    seal paint if desired
    wax

If you want to keep your rims and tires looking good, I would go with the mothers all wheel and tire cleaner.
    for wash I would go with gold class and for tire shine I would go with endurance

Good luck with the new vehicle
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, Messing up with an orbital is really an urban myth. Actually an orbital can do much better than your hand because your hand can't make it uniform. Get an orbital, read about it here and start to do it the proper way for a new car.
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Rachel,

Questions help us learn and understand....

If you decide to stay with only the Pinnacle lineup then Pinnacle Souveran Liquid Spray Wax will be adequate. While Pinnacle does offer quality products I feel their liquid spray wax could use a bump in formulation in order to come close to Optimum Spray Car Wax or Duragloss Aquawax.

Another spray wax that's in the Pinnacle line up the Pinnacles XMT 360. If there's one spray wax that comes close to Optimum's or Duragloss it's XMT 360 Spray Wax..

Once you've prepped the finish, cleanse or polish, any sealant will work superbly. After applying most sealants, allow the product to bond and cure 12 hours before adding a second coat or your layer of carnauba wax...

Dual Action Polishers

These polishers are VERY user friendly and it's nearly impossible to damage the finish with it, this is one of their claims to fame. Don't be afraid of this technology as it's been around quite some time and is ideally suited for the beginner and the more seasoned detailer...

While cleaning and polishing can be accomplished by hand it's a long grueling task and swirl removal is less than likely...

More great articles by Mike Phillips!

Polishing Paint by Hand

Foam Applicator Pads at Autogeek.net

Priming your pad when working by hand

Removing Scratches By Hand

How to use a hand applied abrasive polish or paint cleaner by hand

How To Remove Paint Transfer

How to clay, clean and wax paint by hand with Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion and Pinnacle Signature Series II Carnauba Paste Wax

1-Step versus 3-Step Process by Hand

Man versus Machine

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys

Hey Brent I am getting a 5dr GTI in Carbon Steel, 18" Detroits, Leather, Bi Xenon & Sunroof.

Cheers BobbyG very helpful I'll take a look at the polishers and see if I can convince myself

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post

While cleaning and polishing can be accomplished by hand it's a long grueling task
    That's an understatement. It took me 4 days to de-swirl my Camry by hand, and while it looks good now, I'm paying for it big time. My elbows still hurt 10 days after.

To the OP: do yourself a favor and get a DA machine. Never again will I put myself through that.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Rachel - I also welcome you to the GTI club. I've had my Candy White for a little over a year now. Everyone has their own preference on products, but you have a good line=up. I havent read all the posts on here but Bobby has been a great help to me also. I will tell you one thing, which is do yourself a favor and break down and get a DA like the PC7424. WAY EASIER TO USE THEN YOU REALIZE. I picked up a great DA and pad combo on sale for 169 and out of all of the products that I've bought from AG the DA was by far the best money spent. If you want to take it a step further and do it correct right out of the gate, spend the extra money and buy the 4" pad and backing plate combo (which I havent bought yet) Do to the size of the panels especially on the front of the car and the dust collecting hatch area, the 4" pads would be ideal for those two areas and possibly the entire car. Also do yourself a favor and go with the 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads for the car. The large pads will be too big for the GTI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast