autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb How to clean pads without Grit Guard Cleaning System?

My Porter Cable 7424 Pinnacle Twins Kit should arrive tomorrow and i plan on putting it to use pretty soon, what is the best way to clean foam buffing pads so that they will last the longest? I don't have any Snappy pad cleaner packets that i see detailers like to use.
    Can i just spray my cleaner / degreaser on the pad and wash it out with the garden hose?

Thanks

Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to clean pads without Grit Guard Cleaning System?

Quote Originally Posted by Speakerguy45 View Post
    My Porter Cable 7424 Pinnacle Twins Kit should arrive tomorrow and i plan on putting it to use pretty soon, what is the best way to clean foam buffing pads so that they will last the longest? I don't have any Snappy pad cleaner packets that i see detailers like to use.
    Can i just spray my cleaner / degreaser on the pad and wash it out with the garden hose?

Thanks
    I'm in the same bag as you, no pad cleaner.

For me usually a good idea is to set yourself up a 'soak bucket' before you get started...that way if a pad gets to a dirty point to where you dont want to use it anymore...toss it in there and let it soak...rather than letting the product dry in/on the pad.

The second thing is to 'clean on the fly'...which if you havent read an article on that yet on here...its basically wiping off the face of your pad after ever section pass or every other section pass...or whenever necessary...you'll need a good terry towl or an old microfiber towel..either will work...its just to remove the built up product/removed paint from the surface of the pad to help keep it cleaner longer...so hopefully (if the car isnt too bad) you wont have to use a lot of pads on 1 process.

When it comes down to clean time...if my pad is SUPER dirty...ill hit it a couple times with APC or APC+...whichever...rub it in a little and then rinse it out REALLY good...then after that ill use either dish soap or laundry detergent (liquid and only need a little) to rub into the face of the pad and rinse out....if it looks clean enough then...then i just let them dry....if they still look kinda bad then i'll soak them in warm water with dish soap or laundry detergent for a while.

Some people say dont let them soak too long because the backing will come off...personally ive let mine soak 24 hour and never had a problem with seperation...not to say others havent, but for me...its never been an issue.

After you pull them out squeeze them dry...personally i dont twist them...i'll fold them in 1/2 or into 1/4 and press it together to get out as much as i can...then if you want you can use a MF and push it against the face of the pad to get out a little more water...after that just let em air dry.

If you have some sort of a grate you can set them on...so that air can get to them from the top and bottom at the same time...thats the quickest way to dry them...if not them let them dry on one side for a couple hours...then flip them and you'll be good.

The of course store them somewhere clean...i always keep mine in zip-lock bags once they are totally dry.

Hope that helps...if you need any further advice/ideas just let me know

Post Thanks / Like

I use Dawn Power Dissolver to clean mine. It can be hard to find at times but Walmart usually has it.

Post Thanks / Like

Soak in Oxyclean/Water in a bucket, throw in Maytag & wash.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

I use a little Simple Green in a bucket with hot water. Works great.

Post Thanks / Like

I erm blast mine with the hose after spraying them with apc. Oh then put on buffer and turn on high speed lol.
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ryandamartini View Post
    Oh then put on buffer and turn on high speed lol.
    This is ok with a rotary buffer, but be careful doing this on a DA buffer as it can rip the pad right off of its backing and send it flying. Ask me how I know, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jahman View Post
    This is ok with a rotary buffer, but be careful doing this on a DA buffer as it can rip the pad right off of its backing and send it flying. Ask me how I know, lol.
    I loosely hold my hand to the DA pad. It still works lol
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wills.WindowsAndWheels View Post
    I'm in the same bag as you, no pad cleaner.

For me usually a good idea is to set yourself up a 'soak bucket' before you get started...that way if a pad gets to a dirty point to where you dont want to use it anymore...toss it in there and let it soak...rather than letting the product dry in/on the pad.

The second thing is to 'clean on the fly'...which if you havent read an article on that yet on here...its basically wiping off the face of your pad after ever section pass or every other section pass...or whenever necessary...you'll need a good terry towl or an old microfiber towel..either will work...its just to remove the built up product/removed paint from the surface of the pad to help keep it cleaner longer...so hopefully (if the car isnt too bad) you wont have to use a lot of pads on 1 process.

When it comes down to clean time...if my pad is SUPER dirty...ill hit it a couple times with APC or APC+...whichever...rub it in a little and then rinse it out REALLY good...then after that ill use either dish soap or laundry detergent (liquid and only need a little) to rub into the face of the pad and rinse out....if it looks clean enough then...then i just let them dry....if they still look kinda bad then i'll soak them in warm water with dish soap or laundry detergent for a while.

Some people say dont let them soak too long because the backing will come off...personally ive let mine soak 24 hour and never had a problem with seperation...not to say others havent, but for me...its never been an issue.

After you pull them out squeeze them dry...personally i dont twist them...i'll fold them in 1/2 or into 1/4 and press it together to get out as much as i can...then if you want you can use a MF and push it against the face of the pad to get out a little more water...after that just let em air dry.

If you have some sort of a grate you can set them on...so that air can get to them from the top and bottom at the same time...thats the quickest way to dry them...if not them let them dry on one side for a couple hours...then flip them and you'll be good.

The of course store them somewhere clean...i always keep mine in zip-lock bags once they are totally dry.

Hope that helps...if you need any further advice/ideas just let me know
    Thank you, this helped a bunch

Post Thanks / Like

Dawn Power Dissolver here, too. Spray let sit 5 minutes, agitate by hand, rinse thoroughly and then spin dry with rotary. Can be back polishing with that pad in 10 minutes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast