autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you wash first and recheck the beading or judging the beading with the car dirty?

Mike Phillips

Re: Tips for using Detailer's Paint Coating

Quote Originally Posted by Ginnova View Post

Here's a brief background:

A month ago I put 2 coats of DP paint coating on the hood of my car to test out the product's durability.

Paint was properly prepped ( washed with ironx soap , clay , polished, IPA , DP prep polish ) before the application.

No boosters were applied after the weekly wash.

Beading and sheeting was excellent for the 1st 4 weeks.

BTW, none of my previous LSP's ( waxes / sealants ) have maintained their beading and sheeting properties this long with our inclement weather.
    Just to point out to those reading this in the future that might not look at where you live as it's listed under your forum name.

Manila

Quote Originally Posted by Ginnova View Post

After the 5th week and with the unpredictable weather , paint has gone thru some serious beating causing the beading to be greatly reduced. There are some very light contaminants on the paint so decided to clay ( Mothers ). After claying , beading was totally gone but sheeting is still alive. Paint is almost dry after a few minutes.

Nothing lasts forever, especially the crisp fresh waxed look after you just wipe any wax, sealant or coating off paint.

I think I explain that here on page 6 of this thread. I'd recommend reading the entire thread to get the context of my answer but I am going to post my entire answer.

Attention Pinnacle Black Label fans...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips
    Interesting read...

I'm not 100% sure but outside of any testing Nick and other employees did before the launch of the Black Label coatings, I think I documented the first complete whole car applications of the Black Label coatings before they went public.

Note: Black Label was announced at SEMA which takes place the first week of November each year.

Black Label Diamond Paint Coating

Date: Wednesday, October 2nd 2013
    Lady in Red - 1986 Porsche - 4-Step Process

(Asked the owner just last Friday how the paint was looking on the Porsche and he said like the day he picked it up)

Black Label Diamond Surface Coating

Date: Thursday October 24th, 2013
    2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK 350 Show Car Makeover Pictures

Date: Thursday October 17th, 2013
    Candy Apple 1955 Ford F100 with Black Label Diamond Paint Coating
    (This was only to the front clip, hood and fenders, no time for the cab and truck bed due to filming a TV show)

Since SEMA we have applied the Black Label Diamond Paint Coating to two Thursday night project cars.

2013 Dodge Charger - Black Label Diamond Paint Coating- New Rupes Polishers - Pictures & Video

Date: November 14th, 2003

Date: Thursday, November 21st, 2013
    Ready for the Mud!

And I have applied the Black Label Diamond Paint Coating to 3 cars I have privately detailed.

Date: Saturday, November 15th, 2013
    Black Label Diamond Paint Coating on a 2012 Mercedes-Benz E350

Date: Saturday, December 13th, 2013
    How long to wait before waxing a brand new car?

Date: Saturday, December 30th, 2013
    2014 Black Mercedes-Benz E350 detailed by Mike Phillips

So after documenting the above, that is cars I've either buffed out and coated or helped to buff out and coat, the first thing that came to my mind after applying the Paint Coating and the Surface Coating to full cars, (so that would be the red Porsche and the silver Mercedes-Benz SLK 350), was...

I need something to maintain these cars...

In the case of the Porsche, I need and want something for the owner of the Porsche to use to take care of the finish.

The two natural products would be a spray detailer and a spray "wax" except instead of a waxy substance, the spray-on product would need to be chemically similar to the coating.

The two products would need to offer synergistic chemical compatibility as well as be synergistic chemically beneficial. That is similar in chemical make-up.

And the biggest reason why is because after doing all the preparation steps, correction steps, polishing and prepping steps and then finally applying the coatings, I want something that is going to maintain both the results and all the hard work, time and energy that goes behind projects like the above.

To me it seems like a no-brainer. Sure you could maintain the coatings with any spray detailer or any spray wax or spray sealant and when it's your car do as you will.

But for me and my cars and my customer's cars I want to keep everything in the chemical family so to speak. Again, I did the work steps. The cars didn't prep and polish themselves out.

I washed Stacy's SLK on Sunday before the football game and now I'm going to start maintaining it with the Pinnacle Black Label Coating Booster and keep the Pinnacle Black Label Coating Detailer in the Autogeek Detail Bag in the trunk so she can keep the dust off or remove any fresh contaminants.

After washing and drying the finish still looks great but nothing the crisp just waxed look comes from doing something as a part of regular maintenance if you really want this look. It's not that the coatings don't last a long time but to put things in the anal retentive analogy because that fits best for a segment of car enthusiasts that hang out on car detailing forums...

Will the appearance value of a coated car get better and better with time with no maintenance?

The answer is "no" and what's the opposite of better and better?

FWIW

Hope that helps...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456