autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Taking the plunge, buying a HUGE kit! Need you guys to look over it before purchase

Ok guys, I'm taking the plunge and going to spend around 300-400 dollars on HUGE kit.

I want your recommendations, or suggestions, or tips or anything you got to offer! I have a 2010 Aqua Blue Chevy Camaro and I would say medium-heavy swirls. Did I get everything I needed?

First off is this: Lake Country - Porter Cable 5.5 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pad Kit FREE BONUS

Now, six pads aren't enough for me, so I'm going to get this too:
    Lake Country 5.5 Inch CCS Pads 6 Pack - Your Choice!

Also, I'm going to get this: Lake Country 4 Inch CCS Pads 6 Pack - Your Choice!

And of course this: 3.5" Dual Action Flexible Backing Plate- porter cable 7424XP hook and loop backing plate 3.5 inch.

So which pads do you think I should get?

I was thinking two of each color of 5.5" except red (the PC kit automatically comes with two reds, check the top right of the page for the kit). How does that sound? Basically I would be getting two of each available pad.

And one of each color for the four inch pads except blue.

And then I was going to get M105 and M205. Does AG have a kit for getting both of them in 32 ounce?

And then I was going to get seal my work with this: Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 Permanent Paint Coating FREE BONUS

So.... If you got through that, how does that sound? Would you recommend anything else?

And, um, Mike/AG staff, by the way, shameless plugin here, but with the 175 or so dollars on top of the kit that I'm going to be buying... any way I can get a discount?

Thanks!

Roshan

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Taking the plunge, buying a HUGE kit! Need you guys to look over it before purchase

I think I forgot some optimum polish before using the Opticoat, so as to remove all polishing oils. I'm pretty sure that you can't go straight from M205, to wash, to IPA wipedown, to Opticoat right?

If I remember correctly, you have to do M205, wash, optimum polish, opticoat?

I forgot this too Detailer’s Speedy Surface Prep Towel Combo

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Taking the plunge, buying a HUGE kit! Need you guys to look over it before purchase

You really don't need 7 different pads. I would go with orange, white and gray. M105 with orange will do as much cutting as you will need and M205 with white/gray will finish very nice.
    Unless you have other cars to do since you are using the Opti-coat you won't use any pads again for 2 years and you won't need red or blue pads since you won't be spreading any wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S2K View Post
    You really don't need 7 different pads. I would go with orange, white and gray. M105 with orange will do as much cutting as you will need and M205 with white/gray will finish very nice.
    Unless you have other cars to do since you are using the Opti-coat you won't use any pads again for 2 years and you won't need red or blue pads since you won't be spreading any wax.
    I think I was planning on sometimes applying some wax onto the car before shows, because even though it won't stay on for long, it'll give that deep wet look more so than opticoat. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Roshan,

If you really have your heart set on the Meguiar's Twins then Autogeek offered the following in kit form..

Meguiars Porter Cable Ultra Polish Kit with 5.5 Inch Pads, Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Polishing Kit, Meguiars polishes, Porter Cable 7424 Mirror Glaze

Stick with the 5 1/2" pads, it even indicates it on the counterweight...

The Porter Cable 7424xp

Here's more great information by Mike Phillips that will help you learn the correct way moving forward...

Foam Pads

Orange, White, Gray, and Blue pads are the most common.

Yellow Cutting Foam
    - Use this pad to apply compounds or polishes to remove severe oxidation, swirls, and scratches. It is the most aggressive and should only be used on oxidized and older finishes. Always follow this pad with an orange or white pad and a fine polish to refine the paint until it is smooth.

Orange Light Cutting Foam
    - Firm, high density foam for scratch and defect removal. Use this pad with polishes and swirl removers. It’s an all around pad that will work on most light to moderate imperfections.

White Polishing Foam
    - Less dense foam formula for the application of waxes, micro-fine polishes and sealants. This pad has very light cutting power so it’s perfect for pre-wax cleaners.

Gray Finishing Foam Pad - Composition is firm enough to withstand added pressure during final finishing to remove buffer swirls. It has no cut and will apply thin, even coats of waxes, sealants, and glazes.

Blue Finessing Foam
    – Pad has soft composition for applying glaze, finishing polish, sealants, and liquid waxes. Flat pad provides full contact with paint surface to minimize the pressure applied by the user.

Other product suggestions sure to please. Many of the protectants listed here are multipurpose and can be used as intended..

Wash - Duragloss #901
    Clay - Meguiar’s Clay
    Compound - PG 1000 – PowerGloss Compound (POS34A)
    Polish - PF 2500 – Power Finish Polish (PO203)
    Finishing Polish - SF 4000 – Super Finish Polish (PO106FA)
    1-Step - Duragloss 501
    Sealant -Duragloss 105 TPP & Duragloss 601 Bonding Agent
    Wax - Collinite 845
    Spray Wax -Optimum Spray Car Wax
    Tire Cleaner - Meguiar's Super Degreaser
    Tire Treatment - CarPro PERL
    Trim - Ultima Tire and Trim Guard
    Wheel Cleaner - Meguiar's Wheel Brightener
    Wheel Protectant -Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0
    Glass Cleaner - Meguiar's Glass Cleaner
    Glass Treatment - Aquapel
    All Purpose Cleaner - Optimum Power Clean
    Interior Protectant - Ultima Interior Guard Plus

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Hey Roshan,

If you really have your heart set on the Meguiar's Twins then Autogeek offered the following in kit form..

Meguiars Porter Cable Ultra Polish Kit with 5.5 Inch Pads, Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Polishing Kit, Meguiars polishes, Porter Cable 7424 Mirror Glaze
    Hey Bobby,

I've done my research and it turns out that for me to get pads and the Meguiar's combo, it will be cheaper if I just buy the link I posted and add in approximately 50 dollars for the M105/M205.

For example, my linked kit plus M105/M205 will come out to about 250, but I get M105/M205 AND 6 pads AND the XMT cleaner AND XMT conditioner.

The kit that has M105/M205 already in it will be 250 dollars, but will only come with M105/M205 AND five pads but no cleaner nor conditioner.

Both come with two detailing towels. Same money, but I get a lot more the top route, rather than the bottom route.

I've also seen this post with the links by you before and read them beforehand, but no doubt will be returning to them during the correction

Thanks!
    Last edited by ihaveacamaro; 08-21-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I started with the CCS pads, and they are very good. But I recently tried the Hydrotech pads, and I beleive I do prefer them now. The low profile pads allow more pressure with less effort and are certainly easier to clean than the CCS pads.

I like M105/M205 combo. They are the combo by which all others are measured (for results anyway) but do bear in mind that M105 is tricky to use for sure. If you are like me, you will buy the 32oz, and then start trying other products and never use it up. Go with the smaller bottles. I recently used Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover and Advanced Finishing Polish and the swirl remover was much easier to work with than M105, and after doing a test, got no worse results on my Camaro.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    Ok guys, I'm taking the plunge and going to spend around 300-400 dollars on HUGE kit.

I want your recommendations, or suggestions, or tips or anything you got to offer! I have a 2010 Aqua Blue Chevy Camaro and I would say medium-heavy swirls. Did I get everything I needed?

First off is this: Lake Country - Porter Cable 5.5 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pad Kit FREE BONUS

Now, six pads aren't enough for me, so I'm going to get this too:
    Lake Country 5.5 Inch CCS Pads 6 Pack - Your Choice!

Also, I'm going to get this: Lake Country 4 Inch CCS Pads 6 Pack - Your Choice!

And of course this: 3.5" Dual Action Flexible Backing Plate- porter cable 7424XP hook and loop backing plate 3.5 inch.

So which pads do you think I should get?

I was thinking two of each color of 5.5" except red (the PC kit automatically comes with two reds, check the top right of the page for the kit). How does that sound? Basically I would be getting two of each available pad.

And one of each color for the four inch pads except blue.

And then I was going to get M105 and M205. Does AG have a kit for getting both of them in 32 ounce?

And then I was going to get seal my work with this: Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 Permanent Paint Coating FREE BONUS

So.... If you got through that, how does that sound? Would you recommend anything else?

And, um, Mike/AG staff, by the way, shameless plugin here, but with the 175 or so dollars on top of the kit that I'm going to be buying... any way I can get a discount?

Thanks!

Roshan
    I'd wait for Labor Day, I'm sure there will be a nice sale then ....

On the pads, I'd opt for the 5.5" flat beveled pads over the CCS pads, I think they finish better IMO.
    Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Pads 6 Pack, foam pad kit, build a kit, buffing pads, curved edge pads
    I really think you should look at the 5.5" HT pads but they are more expensive so might blow your budget.

On the 4" pads I'd get Ht, a much better pad the the spot buffs in the CCS.
    Lake Country Hydro-Tech 4 x 1.25 Inch Foam Pads, Hydro Tech Foam Buffing Pads, spot polishing pads, pads for water based polishes

IMO the M105/205 aren't all that great for a beginner, they have fairly short work times, dust pretty bad and can be a challenge to learn to use. Some will argue this and I'm just giving my opinion so no need to argue.

Instead I'd go either with the WG twins (not as aggressive) and are more forgiving, or Menzerna polishes as BobbyG outlined above. Or my new favorite polishes the Optimum Hyper spray compound and polish. The polish is on BOGO right now so it's a smoking deal
    Optimum Hyper Polish Spray, Optimum spray polish, hyper spray polish, Optimum car polishes and the compound (no BOGO) Optimum Hyper Compound Spray
    Depending how bad your paint is you might just get by with the polish. These finish really nice, have a much longer working time, little to no dusting, and are more forgiving to use. Anyone using the 105/205 combo who hasn't tried these are missing out IMHO.
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buckskincolt View Post
    I'd wait for Labor Day, I'm sure there will be a nice sale then ....

On the pads, I'd opt for the 5.5" flat beveled pads over the CCS pads, I think they finish better IMO.
    Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Pads 6 Pack, foam pad kit, build a kit, buffing pads, curved edge pads
    I really think you should look at the 5.5" HT pads but they are more expensive so might blow your budget.

On the 4" pads I'd get Ht, a much better pad the the spot buffs in the CCS.
    Lake Country Hydro-Tech 4 x 1.25 Inch Foam Pads, Hydro Tech Foam Buffing Pads, spot polishing pads, pads for water based polishes

IMO the M105/205 aren't all that great for a beginner, they have fairly short work times, dust pretty bad and can be a challenge to learn to use. Some will argue this and I'm just giving my opinion so no need to argue.

Instead I'd go either with the WG twins (not as aggressive) and are more forgiving, or Menzerna polishes as BobbyG outlined above. Or my new favorite polishes the Optimum Hyper spray compound and polish. The polish is on BOGO right now so it's a smoking deal
    Optimum Hyper Polish Spray, Optimum spray polish, hyper spray polish, Optimum car polishes and the compound (no BOGO) Optimum Hyper Compound Spray
    Depending how bad your paint is you might just get by with the polish. These finish really nice, have a much longer working time, little to no dusting, and are more forgiving to use. Anyone using the 105/205 combo who hasn't tried these are missing out IMHO.

I might just wait for Labor day. It's only a few more days

Also, I think I'm going to stick with CCS pads because of $$$. They may take longer, but I have all the time in the world. No need to pay more just for something that will take less time.

As for M105/M205, I have no problem if you have objections. If you and others think it might not be the best option for a newbie, then I might go another route. I just thought that M105/M205 gave the best results, so that's why I wanted those.

For the Optimum, do you need a rotary?

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to offer you a chance to save some money and still get amazing results. It appears that you may be buying a bit too many products in my opinion. I buddy in Dallas just finished detailing his 2009 Lexus GX470 family car/daily driver and it looks amazing. So I'm going to do what he did

Here is what he used:

-Porter Cable 7424XP
    -WG Total Swirl Remover w/ Lake Country Orange 6.5 inch and 4 inch pads
    -WG Finishing Glaze applied by hand with poly foam pad
    -WG Deep Gloss Paint Sealant

He recommended the 6.5 inch pads so that you'd have some extra padding around the backing plate, so as to decrease the chances of incurring damage to the paint.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast