autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Interest in cars with the younger generation, what happened?

We discussed selling my extended cab diesel since there is 5 of us now and thinking about 6. My 9 and 7 year old sons both threw a huge fit to which I laughed and there was a huge yes said inside my mind. Both said it's epic and they want it when they can drive but 650hp is a bit much for a testosterone filled 15/16 year old

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Back in 1986 when I first started driving, I had to pay my parents $100 a month for insurance on a rusty 1975 Chevelle/Malibu Classic. That left me enough money for gas and teen expense....1986 here.

It's free to go shows and be interested but I think Bob is onto something earlier. My buddy Hetour made a good point when we spoke about car meets for specific types of cars. My first new car was a 2000 Contour SGT and we would have 20-30 cars show up and this was the Detroit area. This lasted for about 5 years and it slowly tailed off for those cars and then they disappeared. It's really amazing to see one today, let alone a nice one.

It's cheap to get something unique, just gotta look and think outside the box to get into the hobby, seems the torch hasn't been passed on, maybe it was forgotten at a playdate or soccer practice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    My 20 year old daughters insurance with the best company out there USAA, is $300.00 per month! And that's with all the discounts. Throw a $265.00 a month car payment on top of that, $565.00 a month.

And it wouldn't matter whether she was driving a used car that was paid for, it would still be the same for insurance. That's $3,600 a year just for insurance. That's more than we pay for our 3 other vehicles combined.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

3. Thanks KirkH thanked for this post
    Likes Hammer77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

PS, there is no insurance out there for a kid @ $150 bucks see my above post
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

5. Thanks twisted1994 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's still there, just taking place outside of traditional 'car guy' channels. Bought a new 2016 Subaru WRX when I tired of summer car/winter routine.

Followed some Facebook groups and Forums related to WRX and those guys are just as enthusiastic about the latest MAP, lowering springs, aero, intakes, etc. as we were about carbs and headers.

Despite how many prefer to characterize the 'ricers', the things some of them can do with 4 pistons is the real deal. Sure, you get the Fast and Furious wanna-be's, sticking every mail order catalog piece of chrome and carbon-fiber on their cars, but go to a Corvette show and you'll still see the same thing with a lot of those cars.

There are some really solid builds and some hacked together danger-mobiles...like there always has been with every make, model, genre. They're not going to Cars n Coffee on a Saturday morning but rather a Sheetz or sponsored/organized meet at a parking garage on a Saturday night...wirh attendance meeting or exceeding the local Cars Coffee.

There might actually be more of 'them' than there were in the heyday of the traditional car guy: their reach is farther and their communication methods are faster and more efficient. No passing out flyers in their world.

They're just operating in a lane separate from ours, working with cars and tools that are avaliable to them and they're just as into it as we were.

Kinda makes me wonder though if we sounded as silly with some of our 'mod idea's' as some if them do with their ideas for their cars? I admit to flipping the air cleaner lid on my GM 350 4-barrel carb motor just to hear it sucking air when ya stomped on it. I guess that's pretty much the equivalent them buying an aftermarket intake even though it really doesn't offer any power, just sound. Oops...

7. Thanks twisted1994 thanked for this post
    Likes Diner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been into the new, perf car scene since 2000, came from a 12 sec 87' GN, so I know what you mean about what these new cars can do. Maybe they can't get up early for C&C. There used to be a show called Friday Night Lights but they disappeared.

IMO a lot of the import tuner cars are pretty decent and should come on out, these C&C's accept newer cars unlike the Doo Whoop shows where they sit in their lawn chairs, put up their crying baby dolls, fake tray of food and talk about the good old days. Meanwhile, they don't get out and look at anyone else's rides and expect you to genuflect in front of their cars...used to see this all the time. One time one of these people came to cars and coffee and ended up being the only person there setting things up, sorry, wrong show. These shows are for people really into cars and what others have done to THEIR rides too.

2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    PS, there is no insurance out there for a kid @ $150 bucks see my above post
    My 22 year old has a 2008 Infinity G37 on my policy for $150/month. Same price as my 2016 Camaro.
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope car insurance doesn't end up like health or my kids will be taking the lamberfeeti express

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

11. Likes Len_A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I paid $235 a month for an $8K loan on my 87' GN back in 1995, car was $6800, so I had money left over for mods. Also sold my 81' Riviera and that 78' Caprice street racer for paint and tires/wheels. If there's a will, there's a way ==========

2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

I paid $235 a month for an $8K loan on my 87' GN back in 1995, car was $6800, so I had money left over for mods. Also sold my 81' Riviera and that 78' Caprice street racer for paint and tires/wheels. If there's a will, there's a way ==========

When I was a kid, I could get a summer job paying 15-20/hr in a warehouse, factory or construction. There are no jobs like that for kids anymore. The temp companies have grabbed them up, the factories closed and moved to China and the construction jobs are all migrant/immigrant workers. Fast food jobs have grown ass adults applying for any open position.

Things aren't like they used to be for this generation coming up. For the first time, their lives will not be better than their parents (ours.)
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

14. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes custmsprty, PaulMys, Len_A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do wonder where some of the mod money comes from for the tuner cars. They *seem* pretty young and the things they're doing cost far more than a $59 set of Hedman Headers, even considering inflation and whatnot.

Some really expensive items that are considered standard fare for an acknowledged decent car.

Edit: Cars Coffee is kinda early and all...Interest in cars with the younger generation, what happened?

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast