autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Interest in cars with the younger generation, what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    When I was a kid, I could get a summer job paying 15-20/hr in a warehouse, factory or construction. There are no jobs like that for kids anymore. The temp companies have grabbed them up, the factories closed and moved to China and the construction jobs are all migrant/immigrant workers. Fast food jobs have grown ass adults applying for any open position.

Things aren't like they used to be for this generation coming up. For the first time, their lives will not be better than their parents (ours.)
    This is exactly right. And to add to this, kids can't even afford to live on their own nowadays.

When I was in my late teens, early 20's, I could grab any apartment around town for 400-450 bucks a month. And like you mentioned Kirk, the pay was about 18-25 an hour.

Fast-forward 25 years, and the good jobs are all gone (as you explained), the kids are offered 11 bucks an hour, and an apartment here is between 2-3 grand a month.

If a young person here does happen to attain a vehicle, it's just an old beater that barely runs for 500 bucks. Certainly nothing to be proud of.

Quite a shame.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I'm not one for good music to be validated by radio because I'm sure local radio sucks where you live like it does in the 3rd largest city in America, all the hits that are tired, been tired since I was in High School in the late 80's. Noone needs to hear "The Joker" or "Don't stop believe in'" or "Tom Sawyer" anymore but what people DO need to hear is Royal Blood and Winery Dogs. I also feel they need to play more "slightly" deeper tracks from well know artists as well. The younger gen needs to find Royal Blood or Grete Van Fleet and start working on that late 90's GTP Grand Prix to get your feet wet, might even find a girl while your at it too
    Even the “deep tracks” station on Sirius doesn’t play real deep tracks. And for this reason I don’t even bother paying for satellite after the trial period is over. Rather listen to my own music anyway, can choose what I want depending on how I feel. Plus who likes commercials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Cars, music and the young generation Interest in cars with the younger generation, what happened?Interest in cars with the younger generation, what happened?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not one for good music to be validated by radio because I'm sure local radio sucks where you live like it does in the 3rd largest city in America, all the hits that are tired, been tired since I was in High School in the late 80's. Noone needs to hear "The Joker" or "Don't stop believe in'" or "Tom Sawyer" anymore but what people DO need to hear is Royal Blood and Winery Dogs. I also feel they need to play more "slightly" deeper tracks from well know artists as well. The younger gen needs to find Royal Blood or Grete Van Fleet and start working on that late 90's GTP Grand Prix to get your feet wet, might even find a girl while your at it too
    Agree 100% Roger.

FM "Classic rock" stations all over seem like they have 45-50 songs they play, and that's it.

I'm 47 like you, and I was tired of these stations back in 1990. Lol
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I will be talking to my buddy Hectour tonight and bringing the info here and see where we go with it Interest in cars with the younger generation, what happened?Interest in cars with the younger generation, what happened?Interest in cars with the younger generation, what happened?

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Let me take a small detour,

what happened to rock and roll? Seems to
    go hand in hand with cars not being popular.

Thoughts?
    “Rock & Roll”?: I’m glad I was there;
    so near to its very beginnings...and I
    have been indubitably, nay: indomitably,
    hooked ever since.

•Sure, since then, it has occasionally ebbed,
    (and then, again, flowed). Yet: I don’t ever
    worry about the fate of Rock “n” Roll.

-Appears that:
    Lucifer; Aleister Crowley; Alan Freed;
    The Illuminati; et al...has kept it in
    a perpetual state of:
    “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On!”...

•And, IMO:
    -R&R will remain that way, at least until
    “The End of the Age” is ushered in, that is.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Even the “deep tracks” station on Sirius doesn’t play real deep tracks. And for this reason I don’t even bother paying for satellite after the trial period is over. Rather listen to my own music anyway, can choose what I want depending on how I feel. Plus who likes commercials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, it's been a long while since I've posted anything on here!

Klasse Act, I can empathize with you. I dearly miss the old Chicagoland car scene of 10-15 years ago. There were a lot of gearheads cruising the streets back then, and there was always some place to be/something going on.

I think some very valid points have been brought up already, in that there aren't really any good paying blue collar jobs for the average young person around anymore. Along with this, there are even more new/newer cars with performance potential now than there ever were, but the cost of buying them has gone way out of the reach of the true target market. I mean, if anyone told me 10 years ago that there would be a Ford Focus with 350 HP and AWD stock on the showroom floor today, I would have thought they were nuts! Same goes with the Hellcat/Demon.

This said, there are still young gearheads out there, but they're not very likely to go to car meets/shows, and I think social media has a lot to do with it. In their minds- why go to a parking lot and stand around for a few hours to show off their ride and talk shop, when they could just jump on Facebook or Instagram and post a couple pictures and talk to people without leaving the house? I could also see where progress on the actual cars would be inhibited by social media- take a 1 hour task, then spend 2 hours to make a nice picture to post online. Tie that together over a whole build, and you're talking a good chunk of time.

While we're on technology, I'll post a Billy Gardell clip- good phrase @ 1:07 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4kvzy8xN5E
    Street/Racing Concepts
    '02 Mercedes SLK32 AMG, '05 Mercedes SL65 AMG, '02 Audi A6 Quattro 4.2- All Silver!

Post Thanks / Like

I snapped, went to the bank that week and bought a used 1987 Grand National. I owned that car for 5 years and modded it every year I owned it
    Whatever happened to that carInterest in cars with the younger generation, what happened?

Post Thanks / Like

Another BAMInterest in cars with the younger generation, what happened?

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast