autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing classes in New York

Hey everyone. I am preparing to open a mobile detailing business this spring, and I want to go to a few courses to really get a hands on feel for detailing. Does anyone know of any in the 5 boroughs? Thank you for your time.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing classes in New York

PM sent

Mike Phillips

I don't know of any classes in your area but my next class is coming up in January and I don't know of any classes where you get to work with as many tools in one place and we go over just about every aspect of detailing. Plus cool cars to work on.

I also post more pictures of people getting hands-on training and experience than anyone in this industry. Always have... always will.

Sign-up: January 25 & 26, 2014 Detailing Boot Camp Class

Here's a sample...

This course will cover the following tools on multiple cars

The NEW Rupes Duetto 12 and Mini 12

The first opportunity to attend any class where you can get your hands on these brand new tools introduced at SEMA this year.

The Rupes Duetto 12
    Here's my buddy Jay using the new Rupes Duetto 12 on my Silverado...

Rupes Mini 12
    Here's my buddy Matt using the new Rupes Mini on thin panels...

Rupes LHR 15ES & LHR 21ES Random Orbital “Bigfoot" Polishers

Students will use both the Bigfoot 15 and 21 Polishers with the Rupes pads, compounds and polishes to learn Show Car Detailing. Mike always brings classics and streetrods to his classes for students to work on. Students will learn how to hold and use the Rupes polishers to remove swirls, scratches and water spots and then polish the paint to a high gloss finish. Afterwards, the paint will be sealed with a wax, paint sealant or coating using the newest technology currently introduced to the market.

Using the Rupes Bigfoot 15 to remove swirls from a 1959 Impala

Using the Rupes Bigfoot 21 to remove swirls out of a 1947 Buick Slantback Sedan

Flex 3401 Forced Rotation Dual Action Polisher
    Students will use this tool set up with both 6.5" Hybrid Pads and 5" Hybrid Pads to do what Mike calls Show Car Detailing. Show car detailing is using a multiple step approach using dedicated compound and polishing steps to create a show car finish and then applying either a wax, sealant or coating to create a perfect shine. The choice of waxes, sealants or coatings will change as new products are introduced with the newest products on the market being showcased.

Using the Flex 3401 with a 5" Hybrid Pad on a 1940 Ford Coupe

Using the Flex 3401 with a 6.6" Hybrid Pad on a 1965 Mustang Convertible

Using the Flex 3401 with Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads on a 1963 Plymouth Fury Drag Racer

Rotary Buffers - Flex PE14 - DeWALT 849X - Makita 9227c
    The rotary buffer is still the most powerful tool in the car detailing world and the tool able to remove the most serious of paint defects the fastest. It's also capable of polishing the paint and then jeweling the paint to a super high gloss finish.

Mike will take all the mystery out of using the rotary buffer as well as all of the risk associated with this favorite tool among professional detailers.

Each student will learn how to properly clean and spur wool pads plus how to use the 10 @ 10 Technique to pick up a bead of product. Correct technique for buffing out a car section by section will be learned for removing defects like sanding marks, water spots, swirls and scratches. Next students will learn to use foam pads to refine the results created by the wool pad step to a high gloss finish followed by learning to jewel the paint for a hologram-free finish. Afterwards, the car will be sealed using the latest technology in either a wax, sealant or coating.

Using the Flex PE14 to Jewel the paint to a high gloss on the original paint on a 1987 Corvette

Using the DeWALT 849X to remove sanding marks out of a 1963 Impala SS

Using the Makita Rotary Buffer to remove sanding marks from a 1987 K5 Blazer

Dual Action Polishers - Porter Cable 7424XP - Griot's Garage - Meguiar's G110v2

The dual action polishers is an amazing tool capable of incredible work when used correctly with the right pads, products and most important technique. Mike Phillips was working as a Trainer in the body shop industry when the Porter Cable polisher was first introduced to the paint polishing world. He has more articles, books, videos and hours as both a professional detailer and Instructor on how to use these versatile and capable tool.

Student will learn how to use these dual action polishers with both foam pads and microfiber pads to do both show car detailing and production detailing. They will also learn how to use these dual action polishers to machine wetsand to remove orange peel and other surface imperfections followed by how to use rotary buffers to remove sanding marks.

Using a Porter Cable 7424XP with Optimum Microfiber Pads to remove holograms from a 1954 Ford F100

Machine Wetsanding the roof on a 1963 Impala SS with a Porter Cable 7424XP

Using the Meguiar's G110v2 and the Griot's dual action polishers to remove swirls out of a 1936 Ford Roadster

Cyclo Polishers
    The new Model 5 Pro Series is on the left with the blue grip...

The synchronized movement of the Cyclo Polisher's dual orbiting heads effectively mirrors the overlapping, circular motion of fine hand polishing. The result is perfectly balanced machine that produces less vibration and leaves a mirror-like finish without swirl marks or risk of damage to paint.

Cyclo Polishers are also very versatile in that they can be used with an assortment of brushes to clean all types of surfaces including, leather, vinyl, carpet and upholstery, even non-skid boat surfaces in boats.

Cyclo Polishers can also be used as a mechanical means of removing above surface bonded contaminants like overspray paint, tree sap mist, industrial fallout and other air borne contaminants.

Mike Phillips

I'm pretty sure I have more online testimonials than anyone...

Here's just a recent sample...

First hand testimonies by people that have attended one of our classes...

Pictures: Detailing Boot Camp Class - September 28th & 29th 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Patrykm View Post
    Hey Mike thanks again,

Really appreciate your hands on approach as well the of passion for detailing that few posses.

Great class, great people, great host Best of luck to all.

Quote Originally Posted by axel06 View Post
    thank you!!! for your expert advice. its very rare to have a place to experance all the tools that where there to try and on all the cool cARS. i gunna try and get a a few to come on down for the next class..
    and thanks to da crew at autogeek wishing you all the best.. axel
    Quote Originally Posted by barry50208 View Post
    Really enjoyed the class thanks for all the knowledge and hands on

Sent from my MB855 using AG Online
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotch83 View Post
    Awesome Weekend! I had high expectations before the class, but it was better than I could have ever imagined. Mike has a great approach to teaching by offering hands on training which makes everything even more interesting. It was great to try out all of the tools and different chemicals. If anyone is thinking about going to the next class I highly recommend it!

Thanks Mike, Nick and everyone at Autogeek!

Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by miniSguy View Post
    The class was fantastic! I learned a lot of great things I can apply to my business and met a lot of really cool people.

Mike was great, as expected. And Nick really helped walk me through a lot of decisions on products and equipment. He's practically a walking catalog!

I hope to come down for a Thursday sometime, but the eight hour drive may delay that for a while. (Let me know when you do something in Georgia!)

I need to get back to my shopping now (thanks, Nick!). I'll start posting some of my projects soon!

Thanks again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan K View Post
    I had a great time at boot camp! It met and exceeded all of my expectations. The hands-on training was great; we got to try out so many products and different pieces of equipment.

Many thanks to Mike, Nick, Brian, and Andre for putting on such a great event. I highly encourage anyone who is thinking about going to get signed up.

I am usually not up early on the weekends, but I was so excited to get to class Saturday and Sunday that I was up and out of bed as soon as the alarm went off.

Today was a different story, knowing that I just had to head to the airport to fly back home.

What else can I say other than Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by desmondhall859 View Post
    The class was great. It introduced all the fundamentals to the novice and taught new technologies and techniques that any seasoned veteran could use to improve their craft. Mike was the best instructor/teacher I have every had, he was knowledgeable, enthusiastic, concerned, and encouraging.
    Quote Originally Posted by WallDiver View Post
    The perfect class if you want to make your cars look shiny the best and most efficient way. A must for guys getting into the detailing business and great for guys that love working on their own cars and boats...like me. Thanks for a great class Mike!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishhdvette View Post
    This class exceeded my expectations. I am now prepared to detail my own vehicles, but I think I will start with a neighbor's car first, LOL. Looking forward to putting to use the techniques and products.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruisin Dave View Post
    Mike,

This class was awesome! It completely exceeded all of my expectations. From the threads that I read before going to the class, I knew we would be working on some great cars and dealing with a lot of different tools and products, but I'm still amazed at how much I learned in just the two days of class. Now that I have been to the class, I really wish I had decided to go sooner as I am now comfortable with tackling removing the swirls on my black Challenger. Unfortunately, after I showed my wife some of the pictures of the cars that we worked on in class, she wants me to detail her car first.

Also, just want to say that it was great meeting Nick, Bryan, and Andre from Autogeek as well. Being that I'm just a hobbyist and plan on just detailing my vehicles, everyone went out of their way to make sure I fully understood the products and techniques that were taught in the class.

I guess this little icon says it all for you Mike.
    Quote Originally Posted by NIKIGUNZ View Post
    Hey Mike, just got a minute to sit down and reflect on the boot camp I attended. Well I would have too say it was well worth the money. We met a lot of very cool guys . I learned a lot about the product side as well as the hands on. The atmosphere and attitudes were perfect . Your teaching style is just right making it easy for all to learn from beginner to seasoned vet. just FREAKIN AWESOME man . Cant wait till detailfest see u soon thanx.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRS MDS View Post
    Let me first start off by giving a big thanks to the Autogeek crew;
    Mike, Nick, Andre and Bryan..

I just made it back up north earlier this morning from spending the weekend at Autogeek's Show Car Garage.
    I was thrilled to be able to connect with such a great group of guys and participate in Mike Phillip's Detailing Boot Camp.

Mike, I am really taking over the top with the course outline that you have prepared for the boot camp and the way you navigated the class confidently through it.
    When it comes down to finding someone to listen and learn from in this industry, your going to have to do your homework to find a reliable source.
    I am honored to conclude that I have found the MOST CREDITABLE PERSON who has years of experience and a unlimited amount of knowledge in the detailing world.
    And thats why I continue to come back and visit as much as I can to be in a passionate and positive atmosphere to further advance my set of skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Fos View Post
    First of all, I would like to thank everyone at Autogeek.net (Meghan, Nick, Andre, Bryan, and of course Mike) for the best time I have ever had in Florida (and I’m a golfer).

The Auto Detailing Boot Camp was even better than I imagined. New Products to try, new procedures to utilize and a hundred helpful tips were just part of the take away, from the weekend.

I have never been exposed to Auto Detailing before Boot Camp, except as a very uneducated consumer. I’m 58 years old and have never had a DA polisher in my hands, let alone safely utilizing this equipment on paint. Mike and his team had me polishing a 2002 Tahoe (headlights) in the first hour of the class.

Mike stated two things in his opening comments, and I will try to paraphrase;

(1) I cannot make you a detailing expert in two days, but I can give you the confidence to safely detail a car/vehicle paint.

(2) I will give you 100% effort for the next two days.

My comment, to those statements are done and done!

I would recommend this education to anyone that wants to keep their second most important investment in the best shape possible. The best way for me to describe this course is, if Autogeek.net will have me back, I would like to enroll in another Boot Camp Weekend next year! S

o, whether you are a novice like me, or have been detailing for profit, you will learn new techniques and test the latest products, during your next Auto Detailing Boot Camp experience.

Fos
    Quote Originally Posted by Safari Car Wash View Post
    Hello Mike,

Took a bit of time to get back to the computer to sign up for the forum, as we hit the ground running, after attending the Detailing Boot Camp last week. So I've decided to take the time for a few thoughts.

Firstly, I would like to extend my gratitude and thanks to you and the rest of the Autogeek crew for an informative, professional, and encompassing program.

When we set out to resurrect our detailing department,which has been in-operational since hurricane Katrina, I knew we needed something that would give us the edge over our competitors.

Simply saying that you can detail a car is just not enough. Our clientele are high-end production autos, a number of high-dollar SIV's such as Ferrari, Porsche, etc, and a very demanding customer base. We actually have Bentley's come through our tunnel! So there is no room for error.

Our customers maintain high expectations and demand explicit attention to detail. Simply put, we have to be the best! And weeks of research led us to attending your class.

With expectations as high as ours, you would have expected some sort of disappointment. Quite the contrary, our expectations were surpassed!!

You have given us the tools, knowledge, and experience to return home with a program specifically constructed towards our customer base. We have no time wasted in attempting to provide services, or products that we don't need, or our customers don't want.

Probably the most important thing covered in your class, also something i have always preached:

Know your limitations, and match them to your customers expectations.

Instead of 30 or more products in our inventory we will never use, we now have about 6!! Coupled with a standardized procedure for evaluation, communication, and work-process, we are confident that we are launching the very best detailing service department this area has to offer!!

We have minimized risk, cut our process times, and will be able to deliver a product that will simply blow our customers away!!!

Thank you Mike, for sharing your passion and experience with us. It shall be carried on by us, with every car we put our hands on...

Many Thanks, and God Bless....

Tyron Benoit
    Safari Car Wash

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike would be a great place to go if you have time and money. I'd love to go if I could get my vacation to coincide with a class.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Mike Phillips

For anyone reading this into the future...

Classes are held the same time every year as we have people that fly in from around the country and around the world to attend these classes. They always fill up.

• Last weekend of January

• First weekend of May

• Last weekend of September

You can find all the threads with all the pictures and comments in these two forum groups...

Pictures from Detailing 101

Pictures from Detailing 102

Information is just a click away when you're on this forum. Just click on the graphic that looks like this on the top of each page...

Wherever you go... I wish you luck...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike Phillips your classes I have heard are the best I just won't be able to make it down there.

Post Thanks / Like

Contact meguiars, they may be able to put you in touch with the local rep.
    They do classes for the local distributors .