autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Sign-up: January 25 & 26, 2014 Detailing Boot Camp Class

Sign-up: January 25 & 26, 2014 Detailing Boot Camp Class

First things first and that's after you arrive, park your car, stretch your legs, sign-in and get your name tag there's hot coffee and fresh donuts!

Hot Coffee and Fresh Donuts!

Then everyone takes their seat and the schedule for each day is gone over and the Power Point starts with the order of steps to detail a car. We always focus on learning the information side first and then back it up with hands-on training and experience.

Mike Phillips

Re: Sign-up: January 25 & 26, 2014 Detailing Boot Camp Class

This course will cover the following tools on multiple cars

The NEW Rupes Duetto 12 and Mini 12

The first opportunity to attend any class where you can get your hands on these brand new tools introduced at SEMA this year.

The Rupes Duetto 12
    Here's my buddy Jay using the new Rupes Duetto 12 on my Silverado...

Rupes Mini 12
    Here's my buddy Matt using the new Rupes Mini on thin panels...

Rupes LHR 15ES & LHR 21ES Random Orbital “Bigfoot" Polishers

Students will use both the Bigfoot 15 and 21 Polishers with the Rupes pads, compounds and polishes to learn Show Car Detailing. Mike always brings classics and streetrods to his classes for students to work on. Students will learn how to hold and use the Rupes polishers to remove swirls, scratches and water spots and then polish the paint to a high gloss finish. Afterwards, the paint will be sealed with a wax, paint sealant or coating using the newest technology currently introduced to the market.

Using the Rupes Bigfoot 15 to remove swirls from a 1959 Impala

Using the Rupes Bigfoot 21 to remove swirls out of a 1947 Buick Slantback Sedan

Flex 3401 Forced Rotation Dual Action Polisher
    Students will use this tool set up with both 6.5" Hybrid Pads and 5" Hybrid Pads to do what Mike calls Show Car Detailing. Show car detailing is using a multiple step approach using dedicated compound and polishing steps to create a show car finish and then applying either a wax, sealant or coating to create a perfect shine. The choice of waxes, sealants or coatings will change as new products are introduced with the newest products on the market being showcased.

Using the Flex 3401 with a 5" Hybrid Pad on a 1940 Ford Coupe

Using the Flex 3401 with a 6.6" Hybrid Pad on a 1965 Mustang Convertible

Using the Flex 3401 with Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads on a 1963 Plymouth Fury Drag Racer

Rotary Buffers - Flex PE14 - DeWALT 849X - Makita 9227c
    The rotary buffer is still the most powerful tool in the car detailing world and the tool able to remove the most serious of paint defects the fastest. It's also capable of polishing the paint and then jeweling the paint to a super high gloss finish.

Mike will take all the mystery out of using the rotary buffer as well as all of the risk associated with this favorite tool among professional detailers.

Each student will learn how to properly clean and spur wool pads plus how to use the 10 @ 10 Technique to pick up a bead of product. Correct technique for buffing out a car section by section will be learned for removing defects like sanding marks, water spots, swirls and scratches. Next students will learn to use foam pads to refine the results created by the wool pad step to a high gloss finish followed by learning to jewel the paint for a hologram-free finish. Afterwards, the car will be sealed using the latest technology in either a wax, sealant or coating.

Using the Flex PE14 to Jewel the paint to a high gloss on the original paint on a 1987 Corvette

Using the DeWALT 849X to remove sanding marks out of a 1963 Impala SS

Using the Makita Rotary Buffer to remove sanding marks from a 1987 K5 Blazer

Dual Action Polishers - Porter Cable 7424XP - Griot's Garage - Meguiar's G110v2

The dual action polishers is an amazing tool capable of incredible work when used correctly with the right pads, products and most important technique. Mike Phillips was working as a Trainer in the body shop industry when the Porter Cable polisher was first introduced to the paint polishing world. He has more articles, books, videos and hours as both a professional detailer and Instructor on how to use these versatile and capable tool.

Student will learn how to use these dual action polishers with both foam pads and microfiber pads to do both show car detailing and production detailing. They will also learn how to use these dual action polishers to machine wetsand to remove orange peel and other surface imperfections followed by how to use rotary buffers to remove sanding marks.

Using a Porter Cable 7424XP with Optimum Microfiber Pads to remove holograms from a 1954 Ford F100

Machine Wetsanding the roof on a 1963 Impala SS with a Porter Cable 7424XP

Using the Meguiar's G110v2 and the Griot's dual action polishers to remove swirls out of a 1936 Ford Roadster

Cyclo Polishers
    The new Model 5 Pro Series is on the left with the blue grip...

The synchronized movement of the Cyclo Polisher's dual orbiting heads effectively mirrors the overlapping, circular motion of fine hand polishing. The result is perfectly balanced machine that produces less vibration and leaves a mirror-like finish without swirl marks or risk of damage to paint.

Cyclo Polishers are also very versatile in that they can be used with an assortment of brushes to clean all types of surfaces including, leather, vinyl, carpet and upholstery, even non-skid boat surfaces in boats.

Cyclo Polishers can also be used as a mechanical means of removing above surface bonded contaminants like overspray paint, tree sap mist, industrial fallout and other air borne contaminants.

Mike Phillips

Interior Cleaning

In some classes we use vehicles in other classes we use demonstration seats for learning how to use Extractors, it depends upon what vehicles I have at each class. Since the major focus of the class is exterior detailing, the demo seat enables the fastest and most efficient way to learn how to use the tools.

First up you learn to do dry extraction and I share the important reasons why in the class.

Of course you can use a hand brush but you can also machine brush using DA Polishers and also the Cyclo Polisher...

Dry Extraction

After machine brushing to loosen dirt, we then did dry extraction using a Shop-Vac, here's Stephan removing loose dirt out of the weave of the fabric before we introduce any liquid cleaners.

Here's Tyler joining in the fun...

After we brushed and vacuumed the upholstery to remove all loose dirt then we sprayed the fabric down with the Detailer's Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner.

Wet Extraction
    Next up is working with Extractors, everyone has a chance to use an Extractor to deep-clean dirt out of upholstery.

Students will learn how to set-up two different Extractors, the Mytee Lite II and the Aztec Hotrod and then how to use them.

Adding fresh water to the Mytee Lite II

Cycling water through to heat up both the water and the water line...

I tape the handle so I can do something else while the water heats up...

IF you don't circulate the water before using the line will be cold and your initial water coming out of the extractor will be cold.

Filling up the Aztec...

Heating up the water...

Cycling the water to pre-heat the water line...

Before you start, re-circulate the water through the heating tank so that when you start extracting you'll have hot water coming out of the spray head. When you first start out it will take a few minutes to heat all the water line.

Here's Donovan using the Mytee Lite 8070

Here's Tyler using the Aztec HotRod...

Here's Tim using the Aztec Hotrod...

You can easily see the dirt being extracted out of the upholstery...

Making a follow-up pass shows the dirt has been removed...

Tornador Cleaning Guns

Here's Jon using the Tornador Black Car Cleaning Gun to clean vinyl

Here's Mackay using the Tornador Black Car Cleaning Gun...

Mike Phillips

Headlight Restoration

Next up is headlight polishing, for this we used the Meguiar's Heavy Duty Headlight Correction System with a twist, I demonstrated the Meguiar's backing pad for the 3" Sanding Discs but then shared how they also fit on the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher and how working by machine takes all the work out of the project.

I also show how to use rotary buffers with wool pads to remove the sanding marks because it's the fastest way to get this job done so you can move on to the next segment of car detailing.

Wetting the face of the #1000 Unigrit Sanding Disc with plain water...

Hand sanding... (elbow grease)

Machine sanding (no elbow grease)

Everyone pretty much just wanted to work by machine... here's Jeff machine sanding a headlight lens...

Here's Stephan misting some water onto the face of the sanding disc...

Stephan machine sanding a headlight lens

Don machine sanding...

Mike Phillips

Glass Polishing

There's two types of glass polishing,
    1. Removing topical water spots and road film.
    2. Removing bellow surface scratches and pits.

Jeff using the Flex PE14 to machine polish glass...

Sean machine polishing glass...

Steve machine polishing glass...

Donovan machine polishing glass...

Our Detailing Book Camp classes are fast-paced and very busy all day, both days...

Tony machine polishing glass...

Don machine polishing glass...

Tyler machine polishing glass...

Mike Phillips

Cosmetic Engine Detailing

There are two types of engine detailing and in my class I teach cosmetic engine detailing because the safest, fastest, easiest and most profitable type of engine and engine compartment detailing to offer customers.

If you're wanting to detail your own engine compartment you'll learn everything you need to know to work safe and then you can take all the time you want on your own vehicles.

First we blew out all the loose debris using the Metro-Vac Sidekick and MasterBlaster...

Then we used Saran Wrap and Aluminum Tin Foil to cover and protect any water-sensitive components...

Next we used the Detailer's Rinseless Wash & Gloss to wet down the sides of the fenders and then the engine compartment...

Tony spraying down engine compartment...

Jeff spraying down engine compartment...

Steve spraying down engine compartment...

After wetting the engine we then sprayed in an APC and agitate it with a variety of brushes and then rinsed again. Then we used the MasterBlaster and the Sidekick to dry the engine compartment.

Blowing excess liquids into microfiber towles...

After drying the engine compartment we dress the engine compartment using the new Detailers Trim Detailer Aerosol spray.

Mike Phillips

Steam Cleaning

In the class we go over the benefits for cleaning using steam and tips and techniques for using steam cleaners.

Mike Phillips

Convertible Top Cleaning and Protecting

At all of my classes I bring in a car with a convertible, (canvas or vinyl), or a car with a vinyl top and we go over how to properly and safely clean a convertible top and then apply a protectant.

For this class we're using RaggTopp products to clean and protect a Canvas Top. The day before I washed the top carefully because it was dusty and had bug poo spots on it. To do this I used the RaggTopp Natural Horse Hair Convertible Top Brush and the RaggTopp Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner.

The horse hair brush has soft bristle so it wont' make your canvas top fuzzy looking by fraying the fibers. The RaggTopp Fabric Cleaner is safe so you're not using to harsh or strong a cleaner.

After washing I blotted dry using Guzzler Waffle Weave drying towels. This was all done on Friday and then the top was allowed to FULLY DRY overnight and out in FULL SUN on Saturday until we pulled it into the garage for the protection step.

NOTE: Before you can apply the first application of a fabric protectant or any second or third applications of protectant, the top must be bone-dry in order for maximum bonding of the protection ingredients.

In the case of RaggTopp Fabric Protectant, this product uses Ciba Tinuvin UV Blockers, the most costly UV Blockers available for this application.

RaggTopp fabric cleaner and protectant are also endorsed and recommended by the Haartz Corporation as well as Rode & Schwalenber Gmbh. (Germany). Rode & Schwalenber have been manufacturing convertible top materials for 105 years and The Haartz Corporation manufactures the majority of convertible tops for auto manufactures world wide. Pretty good credentials.

In this shot I'm explaining how I cleaned the canvas top the day before and why not to use brushes with stiff, coarse bristles.

Using the aerosol RaggTopp Protectant is basically like using a can of spray paint

Hold the can about 12" away and use overlapping motions as you spray the protectant. Be sure to thoroughly spray any seams or stitching.

Here's Iain spraying on the RaggTopp Fabric Protectant...

Use an overlapping, sweeping motion...

In this shot, as I spray the leading edge I can't help but get a little overspray onto the glass but it's not a problem as the overspray will wipe off easily and if you get any on paint it's completely safe and won't cause any harm.

Here's Tony wiping overspray off the windshield using a clean, microfiber towel...

Mike Phillips

The Traditional Car Wash

First thing on Saturday morning we go over the traditional car wash approach where students get to learn and use all kinds of great products and tools including IronX, Foam Guns, Brushes of all types, Nanoskin Wash Mitts and a lot more...

Here's we're using Tornador Foam Guns to spray Detailers Wheel and Tire Cleaner...

Machine Scrubbing...

Wheel Woolies...

Mother's Fenderwell Brushes...

Iron X....

Rinsing - Note we did Wheels and Tires FIRST...

Now we move up and start at the roof and work our way down...

Boar's Hair Brushes...

Iron X Snow Soap in a Tornador Air Foam Gun...

Mike Phillips

Rinseless Washing

One of the demo cars is used to show tips and techniques for using a Rinseless Wash to clean a car safely without a hose and bucket.

Rinseless Wash and Waterless Wash
    First up we need to get the exterior clean. For most classic and antique vehicles I never personally wash them and recommend to others to avoid washing them. The reason for this is to avoid getting water/moisture into places you cannot get to in order to dry completely thus potentially creating a rust problem. This is especially true for any body-off-frame restorations where someone has already invested a lot of time and money removing any rust.

Waterless and Rinseless Washing is the Trend
    Waterless and Rinseless Washing has been the trend for years now and will continue to be the trend into the foreseeable future. Inf fact look for the term Blue Gold to be used more as it relates to clean water supplies.

To get the 1963 Chevy Impala clean we went over how to use both a Rinseless Wash and a Waterless Wash using products from the Detailer's Line. For this portion of the class I removed the Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer from the Pad Washer Cart and placed a graduated 5-gallon bucket in it's place. With this set-up you don't have to bend over and you have a place to set your supply of clean microfiber towels and drying towels.

Avoiding instilling swirls and scratches when doing a rinseless or waterless wash means using lots of microfiber towels. The idea being is after you get dirt particles onto a microfiber towel you either turn to a clean side, rinse in your rinseless wash bucket or switch to a clean towel. (Your choice)

Rinseless Wash
    Quality microfiber towels are soft to your paint when you wipe polish and wax residue off the surface and in the same way are soft to your car's paint when used with a rinseless or waterless wash.

In this demonstration I'm showing the extreme anal retentive way to clean the surface and that is to make two wipes with one towel and then retire the towel and start a new with a clean towel.

Waterless Wash
    The key to using a waterless wash is to use the product liberally, that means use a LOT of product to hyper lubricate the surface.

Hands-on Time
    Everyone gets with the program and gets this car washed and wiped clean...

Done.
    Took us only a few minutes to get the clean and dry.

Waterless Wash

We also go over how to use a waterless wash. I work on a lot of classics, antiques and streetrods and to prevent rust issues on cars like these I always use a waterless wash to clean them before any other steps. In my detailing classes we always go over how to correctly do a waterless wash.

Here's a tip for anyone that owns a classic muscle car for how to get your car clean without having to use a traditional car wash using a hose and bucket and that's by using a waterless wash.

Here's why...

Washing a classic muscle car, or any classic or antique car using a hose and bucket flushes the car with a lot of water. Here's the problem... the water gets everywhere and by this I mean into places you cannot reach to dry and this creates a potential rust issue.

As a professional courtesy and as a professional "Best Practice" I don't wash classic, antique or muscle cars and I don't even use rinseless washes on them, I use waterless washes.

Example: 1963 Plymouth Fury
    Last night we had a classic muscle car that has been recently painted. The car has overspray paint all over the paint, glass, trim, bumpers and pretty much everything on the exterior. Before we clayed the car and used the Nanoskin Autoscrub pads to remove the overspray the first thing we did was use a waterless wash to remove all the loose surface dirt and we did this two ways.

The first way we used the waterless was was using the Mytee Big Boss Rechargeable Solution Sprayer. Now this isn't the type of tool the casual car owner buys to wash a couple of classic cars out in the garage. It is the type of tool a mobile detailer could use save their hands from getting carpel tunnel or repetitive motion injuries. It's a very cool tool that will lay down a waterless wash with the pull of a trigger.

Here's Andy using the Mytee Big Boss Rechargeable Solution Spray using Detailer's Waterless Auto Wash Concentrate mixed 1 to 3. The holding tank on the Big Boss holds 5 gallons so mixing this concentrate is a simple as adding one gallon of the concentrate to 3 gallons of water to create 4 gallons of ready to use waterless wash.

The Big Boss comes with both a short nozzle sprayer for wetting down car exteriors or a wand sprayer for extended reach. In this shot Andy is using the short nozzle sprayer.

After wetting the hood and front grill and bumper Andre moves in to spread the product around and wipe these areas clean.

Andy tackles the bumper and front grill...

Simple Method
    The simple way to use a waterless wash is to simply use a spray bottle to wet the surface. Here's John using Detailer's Waterless Auto Wash to wipe the roof clean...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast