autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Selecting a glaze

ive used m7 on my modern clearcoat paint and i def see the diffrence for a couple weeks at least when its under wax, no doubt about it, i see it and i see it wear off as well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    So, what you're saying is; Glazes are a waist of time and manufacturers are not only wasting people's time with them, but they are also taking people's money. Is that what you're saying? (Not saying you're wrong...just that I'd like you to explain that a bit further.)It's called marketing. Zaino claims that Z5 is the worlds best polish. Try reading some of Chemical Guy's claims. Do you believe everything that a manufacturer claim?

On the flip side..
    What if you only polished half the hood, then used your favorite glaze on half (your choice of which side) and TW on the other half? I think you'd see all the fillers of each going to work and not be able to tell much difference until you washed it a few times (beads staying or waning).

Unless someone can sway my mind I'm going to agree with Bob. If a glaze is advertised to fill and hide minor swirls and add gloss (which is how they're advertised to be used) then how on earth can they not add gloss to already perfectly polished paint? Somebody break out the refractometer. LOL!

To me if something is used and advertised to specifically fill and add gloss, then it should do as advertised or be held accountable for false advertising. The question then becomes is the amount of gloss measurable somehow? If so, then ANY amount, however small that may be, IS an increase in gloss...yet to the human eye a decision could then still be made as to how much additional time and gloss is worth the effort for such a small amount of gloss.

I tend to believe glazes work as advertised.

Post Thanks / Like

Would I get results without a polisher? I currently don't own a da polisher. I'd be polishing by hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Komatsu View Post
    Would I get results without a polisher? I currently don't own a da polisher. I'd be polishing by hand.
    Sure you can, but it will make your job much easier with a buffer.

Post Thanks / Like

Blacklight is great. The arguing over using a glaze or not is pointless. It has a place in the market. My personal car has some swirls I didn't have time to take out. A glaze helps. You will for sure notice a much bigger difference if you actually have something to hide on the paint, but it does add a lot of depth and gloss. To each their own. Sure in a perfect world polishing would be the best option, but it's not always practical and defintely not practical for everyone. You can't do any harm by adding it to nicely polished paint either, and on a daily driven car. If you polish it every year you'll be out of clearcoat in no time. So you need to pick your battles wisely.
    PurdyDetail.com
    Shine | Reflection | Protection
    Servicing, Montreal, and North Shore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    So, what you're saying is; Glazes are a waist of time and manufacturers are not only wasting people's time with them, but they are also taking people's money. Is that what you're saying? (Not saying you're wrong...just that I'd like you to explain that a bit further.)

On the flip side...
    What if you only polished half the hood, then used your favorite glaze on half (your choice of which side) and TW on the other half? I think you'd see all the fillers of each going to work and not be able to tell much difference until you washed it a few times (beads staying or waning).

Unless someone can sway my mind I'm going to agree with Bob. If a glaze is advertised to fill and hide minor swirls and add gloss (which is how they're advertised to be used) then how on earth can they not add gloss to already perfectly polished paint? Somebody break out the refractometer. LOL!

To me if something is used and advertised to specifically fill and add gloss, then it should do as advertised or be held accountable for false advertising. The question then becomes is the amount of gloss measurable somehow? If so, then ANY amount, however small that may be, IS an increase in gloss...yet to the human eye a decision could then still be made as to how much additional time and gloss is worth the effort for such a small amount of gloss.

I tend to believe glazes work as advertised.
    I have done this exact thing (on my hood) with two different glazes (one mentioned here), and I did not notice an increase in gloss on the glazed side. In addition, when using a light to detect swirls, I did not notice a reduction in swirls on the glazed side. Now, I used a light and went looking for swirls, I was not looking casually with the the naked eye, maybe that's the difference. Or perhaps they work, but not noticeably on clearcoat that is relatively swirl-free. In any case, just offering a different view, I'm not investing any more time on glazes.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

A finishing polish or AIO is superior to any glaze.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

While on this topic of new car wax-sealants-coatings, I really like the results I have had with the Pinnacle souveran. My debate here is ceramics or stay with the Souveran. I hear so many claims regarding the coatings even some to claim it lasts forever. I am interested to hear y'alls thoughts on the comparison. New car just off the lot. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Polishes remove clear coat though? That's something I'm trying to avoid until I feel like it's needed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Komatsu View Post
    Polishes remove clear coat though? That's something I'm trying to avoid until I feel like it's needed
    Yes, not as much as compounds but in minimal amounts. i.e. lets say Megs Ultimate Compound would be a maybe a 9 on a scale of 1-12... While Megs Ultimate Polish would be alot lower than that, maybe like a 3 out of 12 on the aggressive scale, all things being equal.

Of course your method of application greatly factors in. For example: Someone could use Ultimate Polish with a foam cutting pad to try and remove heavier swirls and might be able to accomplish it with a polisher. [they usually use M205, but yea]
    Or on the other hand, you could use Ultimate Polish with a foam finishing pad and it's not very aggressive at all. Simply "polishing your paint" and in most cases there's never a problem with burning through your paint even if you do that on many occasions.

But regardless, it does remove clearcoat. You still wanna polish her brand new car?😏

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast