autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Selecting a glaze

@Komatsu. I'll tell you what, I have this 2014 Kia. It came from the dealer in absolute prime condition. Bright pearl white paint with zero swirls and not a blemish to be found. It's been 2 yrs. have I polished it? Nope. [other than a couple of test spots]

Selecting a glaze-imageuploadedbyagonline1472640984-322245-jpg

I've clayed it maybe twice I think [didn't need claying when it was 1st brought home] Paint is currently smooth. I stay on top of that vehicle, I'm not out there to the point where I'm waterless washing it every other day, but it does bug me to see it dirty and in need of a wash, so it gets a bath about every 7-8 days. I'm like you, I don't want to polish it until I Need to. But for now it still looks like brand new

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chet31 View Post
    I have done this exact thing (on my hood) with two different glazes (one mentioned here), and I did not notice an increase in gloss on the glazed side. In addition, when using a light to detect swirls, I did not notice a reduction in swirls on the glazed side. Now, I used a light and went looking for swirls, I was not looking casually with the the naked eye, maybe that's the difference. Or perhaps they work, but not noticeably on clearcoat that is relatively swirl-free. In any case, just offering a different view, I'm not investing any more time on glazes.
    It's not magic. The swirls are still there. If you have a black car with some bigger swirls. You could see them from 25 feet away in direct sunlight. A glaze will make them invisible from this distance, and almost not noticeable at all from closer, unless you are looking. So they do work.
    PurdyDetail.com
    Shine | Reflection | Protection
    Servicing, Montreal, and North Shore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by srpurdy View Post
    It's not magic. The swirls are still there. If you have a black car with some bigger swirls. You could see them from 25 feet away in direct sunlight. A glaze will make them invisible from this distance, and almost not noticeable at all from closer, unless you are looking. So they do work.
    I agree they do work and serve a purpose. I've found both Amigo and Blackhole to do a great job on fine washing induced marring. Even when viewed up close.

Each Fall I glaze and through and LSP on my cars. My only reason for going with the glaze is I'm still a bit paranoid about the long term effects of polishing my vehicles twice a year for the 10+ years we own them. By using the glaze, I spruce up the shine a bit knowing full well the swirls will be there in the Sprig to be eliminated. I also have a hard time going through all the effort to do a through correction in the fall when I know in a few short weeks/months the vehicle will be covered in salt/snow/ice and I'll be taking a snow brush or snow pusher to the paint which reverses all that hard work.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I agree they do work and serve a purpose. I've found both Amigo and Blackhole to do a great job on fine washing induced marring. Even when viewed up close.

Each Fall I glaze and through and LSP on my cars. My only reason for going with the glaze is I'm still a bit paranoid about the long term effects of polishing my vehicles twice a year for the 10+ years we own them. By using the glaze, I spruce up the shine a bit knowing full well the swirls will be there in the Sprig to be eliminated. I also have a hard time going through all the effort to do a through correction in the fall when I know in a few short weeks/months the vehicle will be covered in salt/snow/ice and I'll be taking a snow brush or snow pusher to the paint which reverses all that hard work.
    Yup, that is exactly why I haven't touched mine, on my car. I am leaving them until the spring. I removed some this spring, and I will wait to remove the rest next year. If it was a white car I might not need the glaze, but since it is a black one. They stand out like a sore thumb. Thinking I will strip it down though before winter, give it a quick clay, and put fresh layers on, but other then that. Will take the winter beating.
    PurdyDetail.com
    Shine | Reflection | Protection
    Servicing, Montreal, and North Shore.

Post Thanks / Like

Since the OP, and others, are
    talking Poorboys Blackhole Glaze...

Is the following application of this
    particular product, (that's labeled as
    being a Glaze), either: True, or False?

From its product description:

"Use Poorboys swirl removers
    to perfect the paint.

Then apply Poorboys Black Hole
    Show Glaze for Dark Vehicles
    to improve gloss".

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Off topic but anyone suggest any must have products for detailing? For inside or out. I might polish the car after winter like some of you are saying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    Since the OP, and others, are
    talking Poorboys Blackhole Glaze...

Is the following application of this
    particular product, (that's labeled as
    being a Glaze), either: True, or False?

From its product description:

"Use Poorboys swirl removers
    to perfect the paint.

Then apply Poorboys Black Hole
    Show Glaze for Dark Vehicles
    to improve gloss".

Bob
    That's interesting. I would thing it would be an either/or situation. If I've polished everything correctly, I don't have a need for a glaze.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by srpurdy View Post
    Blacklight is great. The arguing over using a glaze or not is pointless. It has a place in the market. My personal car has some swirls I didn't have time to take out. A glaze helps. You will for sure notice a much bigger difference if you actually have something to hide on the paint, but it does add a lot of depth and gloss. To each their own. Sure in a perfect world polishing would be the best option, but it's not always practical and defintely not practical for everyone. You can't do any harm by adding it to nicely polished paint either, and on a daily driven car. If you polish it every year you'll be out of clearcoat in no time. So you need to pick your battles wisely.
    idk about that, you can polish a hundred times without going through the clearcoat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    @Komatsu. I'll tell you what, I have this 2014 Kia. It came from the dealer in absolute prime condition. Bright pearl white paint with zero swirls and not a blemish to be found. It's been 2 yrs. have I polished it? Nope. [other than a couple of test spots]

Selecting a glaze-imageuploadedbyagonline1472640984-322245-jpg

I've clayed it maybe twice I think [didn't need claying when it was 1st brought home] Paint is currently smooth. I stay on top of that vehicle, I'm not out there to the point where I'm waterless washing it every other day, but it does bug me to see it dirty and in need of a wash, so it gets a bath about every 7-8 days. I'm like you, I don't want to polish it until I Need to. But for now it still looks like brand new
    i think the fear of going through the clearcoat with a polish is way overblown, even most of the compounds and swirl removers won't go through the clear nevermind the light polishes and paint cleaners. its just not going to happen in my opinion

Post Thanks / Like

Selecting a glaze

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    i think the fear of going through the clearcoat with a polish is way overblown, even most of the compounds and swirl removers won't go through the clear nevermind the light polishes and paint cleaners. its just not going to happen in my opinion
    I agree. However this perticular paint turns out extremely finicky from my 2 test spots so far... I've tried 2 different finishing polishes on finishing pads and twice they marred the heck out of the paint and swirled up my test spots. That's why I know that if/when I decide to actually polish this paint with success, it'll be with more aggressive methods, and I'm in no hurry to do that. Until I need to. [hopefully never]

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast