autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Paint Overspray Ghosting

Paint Overspray Ghosting

How to remove paint overspray
    Paint overspray is a common problem on cars because often times paint being sprayed becomes airborne outside of where it's being sprayed and then drifts in the wind till it lands on your car.

Ghosting means there's an almost invisible appearance of something on the paint.

The truck below has yellow overspray all over it including the paint, the glass, the wood stakes on the side of the bed, the wood floor inside the bed even the wheels and tires.

We removed the overspray and restored a true show car finish on this truck and you can find out how by clicking the two links below...

1949 Chevy 5-Window Pickup Extreme Makeover - Pictures & Videos

How to remove overspray paint using the Cyclo Polisher

Paint Overspray Ghosting
    Here's the before pictures, if you look carefully you can see YELLOW GHOSTING outlining all the perimeters of the green body panels...

Before

After

Before

After

This streetrod truck had EXTREME overspray and that's why you can see the ghosting of the yellow on the green.

Hopefully you'll never come across a car with this much paint overspray.

Where does overspray come from?
    The most common place to get overspray paint is at a body shop while you're car is there being painted. It can happen in the paint booth or outside of the paint booth.

Here's a tip...
    Anytime you have your car painted, whether it's a complete paint job or just a respray after a fender bender, do the Baggie Test while the car is at the paint shop.

If if overspray paint is discovered, then have the shop manager or shop owner do the Baggie Test.

I wouldn't let the body shop remove the overspray because chances are they'll do more damage in the way of swirls and scratches, even holograms via their method of overspray removal.

But do bring their workmanship or lack thereof to their attention and then remove the overspray yourself.

REMEMBER
    Overspray paint will not only be on the "paint" but on the glass, your trim, your tires and wheels, any area of the car that is open to the air can have overspray paint.

My buddy Jay just had his 1971 Chevelle painted and now there's overspray paint all over the interior including the steering wheel and dash because the windows were not installed at the time of the paint job nor were the openings covered.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint Overspray Ghosting

Sub d on that Classic .

Thanx Mike for the links .

Mike Phillips

Re: Paint Overspray Ghosting

I re-arranged the pictures to put the similar angle of shot one after another as I think this makes it easier to see the before and after difference.

Also just to note, I mentioned that Jay's 1971 Chevelle had overspray paint on the interior of the car...

It also had it all over the outside of the car. The paint felt so rough to the touch that when wiping it with a clean microfiber towel the towel would catch on the paint.

I haven't had time to post the entire write-up for how we removed the overspray and the re-polished the paint to perfection but here's one thread I created from the work we did last week on his Chevelle, more to come in the future.

Rupes TA50 Removing RIDS

The point being...

The most common place to get overspray paint on your car is while it's at a body shop.

It's the nature of the beast...