autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

can i damp sand with elec sander?

i picked up some 3000 grit 1/3 sheets of 3m Trizac paper at Wally World. Can i use them with my electric ro sander on my test panel? DAMP SANDING

Post Thanks / Like

Re: can i damp sand with elec sander?

Note: do at own risk

I say yes and have done it on my headlights that were removed from the car.

Key would be damp, not wet. To me, this would not be so much to prevent shock, but to prevent bearings from getting soaked (for a machine that's not designed to get wet) and reduce the chance of making puddle that you may end up standing in while working.

Use a GFI outlet if you can like most modern bathrooms, pool, or hot tubs have.

Be safe, and watch where your cord is laying just in case there is a crack in the insulation and if you have standing pools of water. Also, you don't want water running down the cord to where it plugs into your extension cord. Throw the cord over your shoulder like you would for polishing to prevent this and scratching from the cord dragging against the paint.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by KB in MD View Post

i picked up some 3000 grit 1/3 sheets of 3m Trizact paper at Wally World.

Can i use them with my electric ro sander on my test panel? DAMP SANDING

If you mean what you typed, that is rectangular sanding sheets of sandpaper like I show here,

Dry Sanding & Wet Sanding with 3M's Flexible Abrasive Hookit Sheets

Each grit level is color coded to make it easy to quickly identify the sheet you want and to reduce the chance for error in selecting the wrong sheet.

Each box of flexible Abrasive Hookit Sheets comes with foam backing pad.

and not round discs like I show here,

New Toy - #5000 Grit Trizact Foam Finishing Discs

Front

Back

Then I GUESS the answer would be "yes" you could somehow cut rectangular shaped sheets of sandpaper to fit the backing plate on your RO Sander.

As for the safety issue, now days the only electric dual action polishers I use to damp sand are the Porter Cable 7424XP because it's DOUBLE INSULATED and I use it with GFI outlets.

And the Rupes Duetto for the same reasons.

I'm guessing you're talking about some jitterbug sander? Which has a rectangular face backing pad?

If so, most of the electric versions I've seen of these would probably scare me to use with water as they tend to me mostly metal.

Do you have a picture of the sander?

How about a model name and part number?

Same for the specific sanding sheets, do you have a part number? Some have the stick-it backing, some have velcro and some have nothing.

A little more info would help....

Post Thanks / Like

3M 03064 Trizact 3-2/3" x 9" 3000 Grit Performance Sandpaper

an older model of this:BLACK+DECKER Tools | 1/3 Sheet Finishing Sander 7558

Good cord, plugged into a GFI recepticle and damp sanding. No standing puddle as i'm doing it in the basement on the floor and on a towel.

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously being a test panel it's not a big deal if you go through the clear while your sanding, you got it for practice. Personally I would go at it by hand first with a sanding block. Seems like you would get a better feel for what's going on. Just my opinion, and I don't know how much sanding you actually have to do.

Post Thanks / Like

i don't have room for a real test panel so i painted this piece with Rustoleum paint & primer in one. 3 or 4 coats. 2 day dry time. No clear yet. Started out by hand then switched over to the elec. just because. 1000,1500,2000,3000 grits. The tape etched into the paint. Is this because the paint was not fully cured?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails can i damp sand with elec sander?-test-panel-jpg   can i damp sand with elec sander?-test-panel-b-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

I have a similar, but smaller wood working sander. It also says that is double insulated.

Oh, and have to mess with Mike. I know your older but, how many companies still make metal bodied power tool these days

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    I have a similar, but smaller wood working sander. It also says that is double insulated.

Oh, and have to mess with Mike. I know your older but, how many companies still make metal bodied power tool these days
    Glad you said it as I was thinking the same

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I would not attempt to sand a surface with any curvature with the sander pictured

The higher grit Trizact have a foam backer, but most people encourage the use of an additional foam interface pad to allow the paper to follow the contour of the panel more safely

The foam interface pad can also allow you to remove deeper scratches without greatly affecting the OEM orange peel

Post Thanks / Like

I guess this would all depend on what you are working on. Might be ok sanding on slightly convex curves. Wouldn't do it on concave curves and tape off where you would be bumping into raised body lines.

Being a mostly car/truck detailing forum I think we kinda assume that this is what you are working on. Guess you could working on or trying to paint almost anything. Sub box, toolbox, trailer?

I have only done this with headlights where there is an infinite amount of material as compared to clear coat or paint.

I would be scared to death to try sanding on my clear coat