autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

New Toy - #5000 Grit Trizact Foam Finishing Discs

New Toy - #5000 Grit Trizact Foam Finishing Discs

Came into work this morning and found a box of 3M Trizact #5000 Foam Discs on my desk to test out...

Meguiar's #3000 is considered a ultra fine grit sanding/finishing disc
    Mirka Abralon #4000 is considered an ultra fine grit sanding/finishing disc

I guess this makes 3M #5000 Ultra Ultra Fine?

#5000 Grit Trizact Foam Finishing Discs

Front

Back

Close-up

Need something to sand now... hmm...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Toy - #5000 Grit Trizact Foam Finishing Discs

holy crap. What would you need that for? The face looks crazy. I have never seen more than 3000 grit. Cant wait to see how it does. Hopefully you do some 3000/5000 50/50's. Thanks!!
    17 Tucson | 2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium PP | 89 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10

@TheRealPolisher on FaceBook | @green2kgt on IG

Post Thanks / Like

What speeds are you using with these Mike?

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I think its great and all but completely unnecessary. Meg/3m 3000 grit foam already leaves a finish so well and easy to buff off what is the point of a 5000grit disc? so you can polish out the scratches with a light polish?
    Alan T.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,
    What are the costs for these? I like the 3m discs but they seem somewhat expensive. The smaller 3 inch disk in a box of 50 was about $50/$60 bucks..

Mike Phillips

One of my students that attended our last Boot Camp Class just bought a 1986 Porsche 911 Carrera and it has been recently painted. Tim has contacted the painter to get the specific about how much paint was sprayed and the painter says he sprayed enough to do a second, higher quality wetsand process to it.

So for sure we're going to finish out with these #5000 Grit Finishing Discs.

Tim's 1986 Porsche 911 Carrera

I'm planning a class on wetsanding with a real car to sand down and as of today I'm still in the planning stage.

I have a couple other guys in this area that want their cars sanded and buffed too that are getting their cars painted so I can make sure they talk to the painter and have plenty of paint sprayed onto the car.

I need to get a head count as to how many people want to attend this class. Price will be like the Boot Camp Class, that's $600.00 for a Saturday, Sunday class with $200.00 merchandise credit at Autogeek.net

In the past I've had a lot of guys post they want to learn to wetsand and actually dampsand but it's a huge undertaking to try to knock it out in 2 days.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by insigner View Post
    What speeds are you using with these Mike?
    My guess is you would use these just like the Meguiar's Unigrit finishing discs which means light downward pressure and a fast arm speed in a range of the 4-6 speed setting depending on which electric DA you're using and 3/4 to full throttle on a air DA sander. Key point is to keep the pad rotating and keep the sander moving at all times.

I cover this in my how-to article which is also going to be turned into a how-to book here,

Damp-Sanding Tools, Tips and Techniques by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Lasthope05 View Post
    Wow! I think its great and all but completely unnecessary.
    Like a lot of cool detailing products.

Meg/3m 3000 grit foam already leaves a finish so well and easy to buff off what is the point of a 5000grit disc? so you can polish out the scratches with a light polish?
    Like I posted, I came in and found these on my desk, being Monday all I've done since arriving to work is playing catch-up on multiple websites and other touch points that I contribute to plus answer scads of e-mails, messages and PM's.

One thing for sure, compounding is fastest and easiest by finishing out at the highest grit paper you can obtain. I like the Meguiar's #3000 Grit but I like the Abralon #4000 even better. After finishing out with either the #3000 or #4000 grit discs you actually start to restore gloss and reflectivity to paint. I demonstrated this at my last Detailing Boot Camp Class, I'll try to have the pictures posted this week.

Pictures & Comments from May 5th & 6th Detailing Boot Camp

Quote Originally Posted by bigdriver4u View Post
    Mike,
    What are the costs for these? I like the 3m discs but they seem somewhat expensive. The smaller 3 inch disk in a box of 50 was about $50/$60 bucks..
    Well just to be clear...

First we don't currently carry or stock these new discs. Like I posted, I found them on my desk this morning because I love wetsanding projects and have a few coming up I was interested in them. I figured if I'm interested in them then others are probably interested in them too... so I shared a couple of pictures.

As for price, I don't know the retail price and have no control over it either, when it comes to 3M products it is what it is...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Like a lot of cool detailing products.

Like I posted, I came in and found these on my desk, being Monday all I've done since arriving to work is playing catch-up on multiple websites and other touch points that I contribute to plus answer scads of e-mails, messages and PM's.

One thing for sure, compounding is fastest and easiest by finishing out at the highest grit paper you can obtain. I like the Meguiar's #3000 Grit but I like the Abralon #4000 even better. After finishing out with either the #3000 or #4000 grit discs you actually start to restore gloss and reflectivity to paint. I demonstrated this at my last Detailing Boot Camp Class, I'll try to have the pictures posted this week.
    Haha, Yea I have a lot of unnecessary detailing products and tools, but they make life a little bit easier. Ive use the 3m trizact quite a bit and i know the finish it leaves behind (very very light oxidation), but like I've said that finish is already so fine. I can only imagine what the 5000grit is going to leave. A slight haze that a medium/light polish would take care of?
    Alan T.

Mike Phillips

I can only imagine what the 5000grit is going to leave. A slight haze that a medium/light polish would take care of?

And less aggressive or less powerful tools, for example a PC with a microfiber or foam cutting pad.

opie_7afe

very nice, these discs could come in very handy with refinishing plastics and such imo. and some companies have sanding disc's that is EVEN FINER then 5000 grit, i believe they produce 12,000 grit discs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast