autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Update on abandoned truck

Kudo's to Nick, good to see someone willing to share the knowledge outside the forum and reach out locally.

Perhaps I should read more and type less... Sorry Mike wasn't aware the process Jeff's using would require more material... [sporting dunce hat in the back corner of the class]

Only reason I commented was to see more pics of that Chevy truck

opie_7afe

and this is why i stay on this forum, theres always a member willing to take the time to help out a new guy. and when your doing that its not work ,its really fun to do and work on something different while teaching someone how to do it properly, its hard to relay proper technique in words.

Post Thanks / Like

So did you pay for the paint job?
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your interest. Thanks to Mike so much for putting me into contact with Nick. He called me back but I didn't get the message until after 9pm so I'll call him in the morning. The little bit that I've done so far has all been on the hood and I've really enjoyed it. Enough that I'm eager to polish my daily driver. This hobby is daunting though...so many products and pad colors. I don't know how you keep it straight.

I was hoping to get the hood done with the 205 and then wax it later before I put it on the truck but I am going to wait for Nick before I do any damage. Tomorrow, a friend is coming over to help me install the fenders, hood, and grille. I've had this truck for 3 years I think. It was a little rough when I got it. It certainly could've been cleaned up and driven as is but I'm sorta anal about my old cars and want certain features. This is the second car I've done and the last one I'll have painted by someone else. I have the equipment to paint cars, just not the knowledge but that's going to change! This isn't a very good pic but this is the day I brought it home:

I didn't do a very good job of taking pics along the way. Here is a pic of the bed which presents another problem.

I asked the painter if we should buff the inner panels on the bed and the wheel wells and he said it wasn't necessary. I said okay but now I'd like to do it. The problem is the floor is oak and I don't want water to get on it. I guess it wouldn't have to be perfect, could I just buff it with 105 and 205 without any wetsanding to get a decent shine?

Here it is before he painted the spear on the bedside:

Here is a pic of the first car I did. A '56 Chevy sedan. I sold it last Fall because I knew the truck was coming to an end. It's a really nice car. Fuel injected, drives almost as good as a new car.

Here is how it looked when I bought it:

Forgot to say that the painter I used painted both of these vehicles. He's really good but only comes around when he needs the money. I paid him by the hour so he left with money after each visit so I had a clear balance with him. Nice guy.

That's all for now. I'll post better pics of the truck after I visit with Nick.

Jeff

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Jemo View Post

This hobby is daunting though...so many products and pad colors. I don't know how you keep it straight.

First....
    AWESOME CARS! I'm so glad you have GREAT before pictures because they really tell the story when you put them next to the after pictures.

This hobby is daunting though...so many products and pad colors. I don't know how you keep it straight.
    It can be confusing at first but with Nick's help and the Autogeek Detailing Discussion Forum I promise you we'll see you through to success!

If I lived closer I would put together a team of guys and we would knock your Apache Project out over a weekend...

Like this...

How to use Meguiar's Unigrit Sanding Blocks to remove runs and dirt nibs in paint

Here's Robert DiTerlizzi of Impressions Fine Detailing sanding out a run on the high side of the rear fender body line.

After sanding the run flat Robert will dampsand using a Meguiar's 3" #3000 Unigrit foam backed sanding disc on a Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher and the buff the area using a compound with a wool pad on a rotary buffer.

Team of guys tackling Jay's Blazer...

Finished and featured on the second season of our TV show...

And last weekend at the 2012 Super Chevy Show season opener at Palm Beach International Raceway Jay's Blazer took
    Best in Class for 4x4's!

Tommy won Best in Class for his 1970 1/2 Camaro and Steve won Best in Class with his 1969 Camaro Indy Pace Car.

That's 3 cars that have been through our show car makeover here at Autogeek that took 3 "Best in Class" wins at the 2012 Super Chevy Show!

Post Thanks / Like

Pics look great Jemo! - Really like seeing the before pics. The hardwood bed in the truck is amazing.

While I am a Chevy lover through and through, I have a 90" Dodge Ramcharger 4x4 w/ a 360cu engine that I want to start tearing down soon... hopefully, it'll turn out looking as good as Jay's Blazer - That was one awesome finishing job you guys did.

opie_7afe

for the bed get some sheet plastic and tape it down the bed does look protected with some type of varnish so i dont think it will hurt it but i would tape it up as getting sanding slurry and compound out of wood grain is a bear(ive polished clearcoated wood not to long ago to a mirror gloss took a while to remove the slurry had to use a stiff bristle brush) once she gets polished that truck will be awesome!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. I should have more pics soon.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Was that the 56 that was in Speed Channel's my ride rules tonite????

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that was my car. Mr. MadDog is a funny guy. I see you're in Greenville. He goes to car shows almost every weekend so you'll probably see him.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast