autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Glazes & Jewels = Waste of time

Glazes and Jeweling Polishes. What are your guy's thoughts on these two types of products?

I feel like these 2 are the most useless products, especially jeweling polishes. Why?

Glazes provide little to no correction, but they do fill in defects to some degree. But if you are going to be glazing, why wouldn't you just hit it with m205, menzerna 4000, or a single step with menzerna 2500 or sonax pf and get much more correction while finishing the same? Ok, on the rare occasion you do cars like Mike and need to rejuvenate some old paint over night, a glaze might be necessary.

As far as my experience goes, jeweling does nothing noticeable to the naked eye. I have asked several high end detailers if they can honestly tell the difference of jeweling as the 3rd polishing step, and they tell me no. The client just wants to do a 3rd step so they do it.

I've also seen people do some 3 step corrections using FG400, 2500, 4000. Why do the 2500? the 4000 is more than capable of removing the littlest haze FG400 leaves behind. Hell I've done a 1 step with FG400, this stuff finishes amazing on hard paints.

Anyway, there's my little rant. What do you guys think?

Regards,

Will

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Glazes & Jewels = Waste of time

Quote Originally Posted by Willy Wang View Post
    What do you guys think?

Will
    Thanks for this thought provoking thread, Will!!
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"...Or is it just manipulation?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

IMHO:
    Just as folks usually have options in other facets of their lives (food, shelter, clothing, spouse, vehicles)...
    Similarly...By choosing (I'll go as far as saying):
    To allegedly further refine a vehicle's paint by Jeweling is what I consider further affirmation
    of the old adage: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Now...I really don't want to immediately include Glazes in that affirmation...That is:
    Not until the clear-coat paint's age, thickness, and other erosion factors have been determined.

Otherwise...I'll be the first to admit that Glazes impart an unexplainable radiance to my vehicles' paints!!
    They're "Beauties"---I tell ya---one and all!!

A Beauty-Riddle:
    In a Land where no one is known to have eyes...
    Would the one-eyed Man be King?

What if "He" wore a dress and a bustle?
    Or was that: Everything He did, was done with a great deal of bustle?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I can see a noticeable difference on piano black paint when finishing with CarPro Reflect vs something like M205. I get a deeper, richer, darker reflection with zero haze even with your nose touching the paint. So I don't think it's a total waste of time if someone wants the absolute best possible finish quality.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't use jeweling polish.
    Glaze is a favorite of mine tho. It's quick and easy and makes a car look great right before car shows by filling in minor swirls and adding a nice shine. It has no abrasives so that's a plus for people that don't want to remove a bit of clear coat. I wouldn't say it's a waste it has it's place.

Sent from Tapatalkrex
    \Rafael/
    Infiniti G35

Post Thanks / Like

I have zero desire to jewel my paint on my daily driven silverado. Waste of time IMO. If I had a Black Caddy CTS-V then yes, id probably make the time for it.

Glazes are nice but I do not use them very often anymore. When I had my torch red z06 I used glaze quite often and made the paint pop. Plus glazes are good to use a day before a car show etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hear people doing the fg400, 2500 then 4000 but I see no point on the second step. Fg400, 4000, beer. Is a good 3 step polish. I don't use glazes or anything with fillers either. I do see a purpose for glazes but just not for the vehicles I work on

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use glazes, but I do jewel from time to time. In fact, I just jeweled my wife's 2010 Camaro last weekend. Is the difference really noticeable when you already have a great finish from a good polish? I don't notice a lot, if any, difference in the garage with the naked eye. IMO when the car is out in the sun the shine is deeper. Could I look at a car and say this one was jeweled and that one wasn't..NO, but I truly believe there is a bit of difference and that is good enough for me on certain cars. After all, what is the purpose of jeweling? It is intended to get that last little bit of shine out of what is already an almost perfect finish. Can you put a measurement on the "last little bit of shine"?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willy Wang View Post
    Glazes and Jeweling Polishes. What are your guy's thoughts on these two types of products?

I feel like these 2 are the most useless products, especially jeweling polishes. Why?

Glazes provide little to no correction, but they do fill in defects to some degree. But if you are going to be glazing, why wouldn't you just hit it with m205, menzerna 4000, or a single step with menzerna 2500 or sonax pf and get much more correction while finishing the same? Ok, on the rare occasion you do cars like Mike and need to rejuvenate some old paint over night, a glaze might be necessary.

As far as my experience goes, jeweling does nothing noticeable to the naked eye. I have asked several high end detailers if they can honestly tell the difference of jeweling as the 3rd polishing step, and they tell me no. The client just wants to do a 3rd step so they do it.

I've also seen people do some 3 step corrections using FG400, 2500, 4000. Why do the 2500? the 4000 is more than capable of removing the littlest haze FG400 leaves behind. Hell I've done a 1 step with FG400, this stuff finishes amazing on hard paints.

Anyway, there's my little rant. What do you guys think?

Regards,

Will
    It depends on the products, pads, passes and paint hardness...

One could be really surprised what can happen with Finishing polishes like M205 and WG Finishing Glaze with the right pads and technique...

It can make a rather large noticeable difference depending....

Post Thanks / Like

Have you ever tried CG'S EZ Cream Glaze?
    Use it after you polish and tell me you don't see a difference and you'll then post saying it did make a big difference
    This glaze leaves the paint very shiny and slick.
    Works for me.
    Now I know there are better glazes out there but this one works just fine for me, and being its acrylic you can apply most sealants right over the glaze for even more shine.

Post Thanks / Like

I never use Glazes not a fan of fillers at all. I only use a jeweling polish show cars mostly thats because most people are not willing to pay for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast