autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: tips on clear coat hardness

Yeah, I think so Mike. Sounded like you were starting to write your Christmas list to the car manufacturers.lol Why don't all car manufacts just use harder clear? Why are most Asian clears soft? Mike has all the input and I have all the ?'s...
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Just to chime in...

If there were some kind of ranking of the softness or hardness of clears, it would mean the ranking would be specific to one paint manufacture, for one paint line they make, or it would mean all the paint manufactures would have to get together and come up with some type of testing procedure with controls that could be duplicated at both the paint manufactures location and then again anywhere the paint was being sprayed just to have some type of control over all the variables. Sounds like a good idea if it could become a reality.

I also think it would be a great idea if paint manufactures would make paints that are more polishable by the average person and that car manufactures would spray more actual paint onto the car, as in the top coat or the clear layer so car owners and detailers would have more film build to work with over the service life of the car.

Probably asking for too much...

Thank you for the welcome.

I'm sure the stickers on Infiniti's are based on some criteria that they have set, but it can be helpful to detailers that have had experience with their cars.

Paint and car manufacturers do what they do to ensure a profit. Most cars will rarely see a buffer touch their paint over their lifetime. Probably only when it's traded in and a dealer gets it ready to sit on the lot.

I'm not a detailer and all the cars I've owned have been daily drivers. Fillers are my friends. Knowing that the paint on a car is a finite resource, I probably leave more defects in the paint than most here would consider acceptable. Sometimes perfection is not in the best interest of the vehicles' owner.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieU View Post
    Sometimes perfection is not in the best interest of the vehicles' owner.
    I would agree. The average car owner wants the paint to last just as long as the engine and every other part of the car for that matter, interior, brakes, suspension, glass, etc.

Paint is thin from the factory and from my limited dealings with representatives from car manufactures thin paint isn't going away. The average car owners just wants clear glass, clean interior, black tires and shiny paint, shiny paint doesn't mean defect free, it just means shiny and any quality cleaner/wax can accomplish this without compromising the integrity or longevity of the clear coat.

"Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

Post Thanks / Like

Well, such as a good ideas Mike..

Post Thanks / Like

well this car has come back for an A/C repair and i managed to get a picture of the sticker i was talkng about. so has anyone else seen this? the sticker is under the hood located near the hood struts

Mike Phillips

I think it's great that the manufacture,

A: Knows enough about the paint system to categorize it. (assuming they are correct in their assessment)

B: Cares enough for the people that will work on the paint down the road to include a sticker with some information. I'd like to see this trend increase.
    Maybe an URL address with a list of approved refinish materials would be good too...

Post Thanks / Like

Nice touch but when all said and done we dont take anyones word on how hard or soft a finish is we check ourselves i wont take there word and certainly not a sticker that could have been put on at anytime by anyone.

Never come across one myself...

Post Thanks / Like

thats weird. i owned 2 infiniti's (00' Q45 and 05' G35) and detail many infiniti's as i am a detailing vendor on a local infiniti car club/forum. never seen anything like that. idk if i missed it or if its only on older models?. but their new type of paint aside, infiniti paint has been some of the softest paint i worked with.

Post Thanks / Like

Infiniti labels there cars like this (in most cases) there's usually a small sticker located on the bottom portion of the hood

Everyone that I have seen, states something like this > "this car is equipted with hard clear coat"

I remember the 1st time I saw this sticker. I was like, "thanks for the reminder"
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by detailgod View Post
    well this car has come back for an A/C repair and i managed to get a picture of the sticker i was talkng about. so has anyone else seen this? the sticker is under the hood located near the hood struts

And there it is ^

I should read past the first page before responding

That would make an awesome avitar IMO
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast