autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Some questions about customers...

Well, as I am gaining experience and my friends are now gaining trust in me, how do you all confront customers with the cost of a detail? Generally speaking, most expect to pay $20 or so for a wash and maybe another $20 for a wax, but in reality we all know this is worth MUCH more, especially for a thorough job. Also, what should I do about quoting prices for various services like paint correction, protection, or a simple wash/wax?

I am basically looking for a few business tips and techniques that will aid in building clientel and not scaring people away from the get-go.

Thanks guys, and gals.
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB

"If you don't stand behind our troops, then why don't you stand in front of them"

2003 Yamaha R6
    2000 Acura TL -- White Diamond Pearl
    1999 Honda CBR600 F4 - Midnight Black Pearl
    1996 Nissan Maxima -- Pebble Beige (RIP)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bambo2888
    Well, as I am gaining experience and my friends are now gaining trust in me, how do you all confront customers with the cost of a detail? Generally speaking, most expect to pay $20 or so for a wash and maybe another $20 for a wax, but in reality we all know this is worth MUCH more, especially for a thorough job. Also, what should I do about quoting prices for various services like paint correction, protection, or a simple wash/wax?

I am basically looking for a few business tips and techniques that will aid in building clientel and not scaring people away from the get-go.

Thanks guys, and gals.
    Post before and afters of some you have done - what is needed product and timewise, so they get the idea a wax won't make a car look polished.
    Then they can pick what they want to spend.
    If they won't give it to you they will end up getting the poor $15 wax job elsewhere and it won't look nearly like your examples.(Put them in a book maybe ...plus your own car!!)
    Hope this helps.
    ~Lulu~

Post Thanks / Like
    you need to get one or two high paying clients, and use as references. Friends and family expect more for less. You need them to offer referrals but NEVER discuss pricing, especially what they paid. If someone cannot meet your price, offer them the nearest carwash.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    how do i initially bring up the price? like, when they ask "how much?" what do i say before i tell them $100+? likewise, what are some going rates for various tasks ie. swirl removal, simple wash/wax, interior, etc etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB

"If you don't stand behind our troops, then why don't you stand in front of them"

2003 Yamaha R6
    2000 Acura TL -- White Diamond Pearl
    1999 Honda CBR600 F4 - Midnight Black Pearl
    1996 Nissan Maxima -- Pebble Beige (RIP)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bambo2888
    how do i initially bring up the price? like, when they ask "how much?" what do i say before i tell them $100+? likewise, what are some going rates for various tasks ie. swirl removal, simple wash/wax, interior, etc etc?
    ask justin!
    ~Lulu~

Post Thanks / Like
    Lay out a plan on Excel or word for things you would do to a car. Then go and price how much you think each individual thing you could charge. Group everything toegether and see if you can't work out a bundle price.

I'm chargin $35 for a wash, towel dry, windows cleaned, tires shined, vacuumed, and dust free on interior for cars. $45 for large vehicles.

For a full detail I'm doing $125 for cars with a wax and $150 with a 6 month sealant. Price according to the polishing since it takes the longest and labor intensive.

I feel my prices are a little on the low side, but then again, this will be my first year. I hope to gain trust on customers and many referalls.

I already have lined up a few cars. One person said he would of paid $300 for his wife's PT Cruiser after I mentioned everything that is included with the full detail.

Also, you have to talk the customer into thinking they need a full detail and they need to have it washed on a bi-weekly basis.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am by no means a pro detailer nor have i dont it for money yet, but maybe u can make up some pahplits with some before and afters, pricing packages... ect and give it to them to poner over with your card along with it..... Something like that

Post Thanks / Like
    Find a way to make them realize that the washes here in Boca are not all that lol, you have Fox's Car Wash and then those two off Glades that are on each side of Federal Highway, all 3 are constantly packed no matter what time of the day it is. My mother used to always take her vehicles to Fox's, oh my god did they swirls the crap out of the paint, the Lexus was easy to coorect, the Lincoln pshhh friggen hard as clear, got maybe 50% of the swirls out before I gave up. Their nothing but fast high volume get em in and get em out shops. Sad, you always see Lambo's, Bentley's etc going through, I could just imagine what their paint must look like.
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like
    First of all, you're gonna have to test your market and what you can charge. I did this and was not even meaning too. I started out low and was taking some pretty tough jobs. I would work 6+ hours for a 150.00 bill. Killed myself but I was new at this. I also was just charging 30.00 for a wash/vac. My wakeup call? A customer told me that my 30.00 wash/vac was a better job than my competitor's 150.00 job.........that he had been going to!

You will have to take some crap jobs to get your name out. I would go after business owners. They talk to other owners and their employees listen to them as well. They also have more money. Give THEM the discounted rates and the word of mouth they give you will be priceless.

After that my attitude and prices changed. All washes/vacs were now 50.00. and I was going to 50.00 per hour no matter what. And I was not going to be ashamed of asking for it! My services were the best around and I was coming to the customer!
    Formerly "justin30513"

www.clean4udetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe you should call around to see what the competitors prices are, and actually take a car to a couple of them to get a feel for how they operate. Then when you tell potential customers that you charge $50 for a wash when the other guy charges $20, you can tell them what the competition's procedure is, using dirty towels, dirty water, maybe they don't vaccum, etc. Then tell them what you do, and how your process takes 2 hours compared to the competition taking 45 minutes. Just the time difference alone along with the comparison of what you do over the other guys should give them a clear idea of why your charging so much more. Then they can decide if it's worth it. Obviously some people don't care and will opt for the cheap wash, while others will want the best for their $20,000 investment and go with you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast