autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My New DD 2016 Audi S4!!!

Onto the work...

Front bumper removed

Stock grille removed

USP grille installed

Was going to try and wrap the crashbar. Once I was into the process, I realized I sucked at it. I trashed the wrap idea, and went to bedliner spray. Pulled the car into the garage and coated the whole crashbar (like 8 coats)

Crashbar coated

Bumper re-installed with new grille in place

Continued in next post....

-

DL

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason, my photos are not posting in the correct orientation, even though they look correct in the hoster... Oh well.

Next up, ECS carbon fiber mirror covers

DO NOT ATTEMPT this job unless you have a trim removal set... Also, I found some issues with the ECS covers and some differences in the bores between the stock B8.5 housings and the aftermarket housings. I had to modify them to get them to fit. But, as I was in process, I didn't snap any pictures.

Again, DO NOT ATTEMPT unless you have a nylon/plastic trim removal kit, or YOU WILL HATE YOUR LIFE. I have the Schwaben kit, it's awesome

Comparo... Daytona Grey Pearl with Xpel film applied (top), ECS bottom

On the car with the stocker

The ECS pieces installed on that car. They look great!

Continued in next post....

-

DL

Post Thanks / Like

Lastly, the OEM Piano Black cluster/MMI surround trim.

For this install, be sure you have a nylon/plastic trim removal kit or YOU WILL HATE YOUR LIFE...

Again with the Schwaben... Such a GREAT tool kit. Every DIYer should have this...

Stock surround with the silver plastic. It has been driving me nuts since day one of ownership. It literally matches NOTHING in the interior or anything in the rest of the car. Not sure why Audi NA made this decision (especially with those who opted for Carbon Atlas Inlays). But, I digress...Yes, my carpets look like a dumpster fire...Winter in the midwest...it sucks..

Side by side comparo

After the install... I'm extremely happy. The interior literally looks like the inside of Darth Vader's helmet at night...

And the final shots of the exterior... More in the next few weeks. Thanks for viewing!!!

Stay Tuned!!!

-

DL

Super Member DetailedByPrecision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

great updates! Always a fun read. Any other mods you got planned?

Click on image to view work

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lensch09 View Post
    Front bumper removed

Stock grille removed
    ^^ Step 1 when installing a smaller S/C Pulley too Not that I'm continuing to suggest that
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

As it turns out, I worked the following deal:

-Xpel installation shop will re-apply Xpel Ultimate to the full front-bumper.

-Since I'll be bringing in a naked bumper which saves them on the labor, they will also be throwing in fresh Xpel covers for my new CF mirrors (installed), and covering the top (under the trunk-opening) of my freshly refinished rear bumper to protect from golf-bag/luggage/keg removal...

Thanks to MOPS@SupremePowerParts, my Deval CF diffuser is currently tracking via UPS, and should be here sometime next week. I'm removing the bumper-covers myself, and taking them to a local VW/Audi certified shop. Should be complete in the next 10 days (I'll post pictures of the work).

NEW DEVELOPMENTS:
    -Worked with Sean@Tag, Kevin@Lichty Auto, Alex@GIAC, and AWE to strike up tuning options. Big thanks to all involved! I've been EXTREMELY impressed by all, especially TAG, they're johnny on the spot with everything, and keep their cool when I call them/email them dozens of times a day.
    -STGII GIAC V2 Software, STGII AWE-Supercharger Pulley, AWE STGII Supercharger Belt, and AWE Supercharger pulley removal tool
    -Local GIAC tuner will be Kevin Lichty at Lichty Auto in Waterloo - (319) 296-2994

STAY TUNED!!!

-

Dan Lensch

Post Thanks / Like

Updates:
    Got the summer wheels/tires out and cleaned them up to get them ready for clay/top coat:

Had the Xpel removed from the front-end in preparation for the front-bumper re-finish. Began pulling apart the front (I'll also be going AWE pulley while it's apart)

Front bumper all stipped down and ready to go to paint. All grilles (4) have been removed. Body shop requested me to "turn it in" with the washer and toe-hook covers intact.

Rear bumper removed and stripped down. Air-bag sensors were left in since they do not need to be removed for paint (mask). I did remove the park assist sensors and the rear valence. New Carbon Fiber Deval valence should be arriving sometime mid-next week (hopefully, the UPS tracking is responding funny).

Cleaned up my exhaust a bit with mothers polish and some light steel wool. Good lord they were BLACK...wonder if that has anything to do with the emissions scandal? Also, I'd really like to thank Audi for painting the rear crashbar black, but never painting the front.... (sarcasm)

The tips are etched... I may need to order new ones... Oh well, another day another dollar.

Anyways, later this week, I'll be claying and coating my wheels (either glanz-wax, XMT 180, or Cquartz, not sure yet), removing the stock pulley, waiting for bumpers to get back from paint, and generally moving this thing forward.

STAY TUNED!!!

-

Dan Lensch

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread. I just read through it all. After selling my BMW 335 this past Fall I just picked up a 2013 Audi S4 in Monsoon grey with all the goodies and only 19k miles! I'm looking at those same wheels and exhaust for mine.

Keep it up!

Post Thanks / Like

Contacted AWE to see if I could warranty out my tips with the failing coating. I'm confident that they will take care of everything.

More spring cleaning stuff showed up:

TONS of Optimum ID/Gloss Enhancer for maintenance washes. Also a hand pump and a bunch of mixer bottles

Included in my $100 mystery box from Autogeek was a tub of McKee's 37 Wheel Glaze. Figured I would clay down my wheels to remove any remaining toxins/debris, then give the new coating a shot. It looks nice, we'll see how it holds up. Smells good, too (like grapes).

Inner barrel cleaned, sprayed down with Iron-X, clayed, and coated with the McKee's 37. You can really see the "hand-brushed clearcoat" in this picture. It's really an amazing finish in person (Bespoke III Brushed Grigio)

And the outside of the wheel

My Deval Carbon Fiber rear diffuser also showed up. Big thanks to Mops @ SupremePowerParts. If you need anything, get ahold of him, great guy to deal with! Fast shipping, too!

Now I'm just waiting on bumpers to finish up. Maybe Thursday? Looks like my AWE pulley, GIAC program switcher, smaller supercharger belt, and pulley-removal tool should be arriving late Thursday. Should turn out to be a great weekend!

STAY TUNED!!!

-

Dan Lensch

Post Thanks / Like

Beast of a car.
    https://www.facebook.com/newfinishPDLLC/
    Steve Infante, New Finish Columbia 803-553-1782
    Columbia, SC / IG:@newfinishcolumbia

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast