autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

2013 Tesla Model S Jet black full correction and Opti Coat Pro - Orinda Auto Detail

This weekend I had another Tesla S in for full correction and Opti-Coat pro application. To say the least this car was HAMMERED from the factory. You name it rids, halo's, pig tails(sanding marks) every where, and the paint just looked lifeless for a jet black car with less than 1500 miles on it.
    Correction was carried out with a combo of BF SRC compound, BF SRC Finishing polish, and FG400(spot buffing for deeper defects)
    I used my Rupes21 for most of the car, but my rotary did see action as well.
    Pads used were a combo of MF pads, Lc Foam, and Car pro velvet leveling pads.
    LSP of choice Opti-Coat Pro.
    Lets get on with it!

You can see here where bird bombs had already etch the fragile clear of this beautiful car

Buffer halo's everywhere.

I know black is tuff...But really Tesla??? For 90k I would of had a coronary if my new got dropped off like this.

Hmmm I think the bumper cover got De-nibbed(dust in paint from a not so clean paint booth that has to be sanded out) and they forgot to polish out the sanding scratches

Before washing I removed the rear plate so to give me easy access to clean everything

Had to get the wheels real clean as they were to Opti-Coated as well.

Bird bombs mess up clear like no other!

After wash and decon back out side to look at it again and do some test spots.

Much worse than before after stripping what ever wax or glaze was on the car.

Hard water etching on the mirror as well hood and fender on passenger side

If you look under the swirls there are some NASTY scratches here looks like left over from sanding. You would think with all the obvious sign the car got buffed they could of at least got the scratches out.

Here's a 50/50 of the hard water on the hood. I got this out using BF compound and an MF pad

Close up

Sanding scratch be gone!!

This bumper was a nightmare it took me almost 3 hours just to get all the scratches and bug etchings off of it!

Pig tails!

Here's what they look like they in the sun.

Here after some aggressive compounding. You can see it hazed the paint which took a few steps to fix

SRC compound only made a 85% improvement

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2013 Tesla Model S Jet black full correction and Opti Coat Pro - Orinda Auto Detail

From the factory massive amounts of compounding dust all over the car.

I removed the plastic cover to clean the jamb.

Here is after just compounding. I would bore you guys to death with all the swirl and scratch removal if you want to see all 100 pics I took while doing this feel free to check out my photo bucket account.

It was getting late in the day and still had to do my final polishing step

After all my final bling polishing done! Almost ready for coating just need to eraser and check

After eraser it flawless

After Coating

Next Morning it was raining and gloomy so no final sun shots and this pic under clouds does the car no justice!

Thanks for looking
    Joe Torbati
    Orinda Auto Detail | Car Wash Orinda | Custom Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2013 Tesla Model S Jet black full correction and Opti Coat Pro - Orinda Auto Detail

Great turnaround, car came out looking amazing. The paint is wet looking and really has depth to it, thanks for posting and sharing, much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Italian Guy View Post
    Great turnaround, car came out looking amazing. The paint is wet looking and really has depth to it, thanks for posting and sharing, much appreciated.
    Thank you! This one really gave me a hard time but I got it all dialed in!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Joe, I cant believe the level of defects in such a new car! Not only that but look at all that compound splatter! That's a sure sign of a newb and rotary.

The afters look fantastic. Exactly how Jet black should look.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work Joe! Keep at it!
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

Great work! Looks fantastic.

Love the black, but blue tops them all!

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!