autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2001 Porsche 911 Turbo - Paint Correction, 22ple Application, Interior Detail

This gorgeous 2001 Porsche 911 Turbo was a referral from a recent customer of mine. The car was in overall good shape, with an average amount of swirls. There were very few heavier scratches, the paint had a very glossy finish already, so I decided that a 1 step correction would be perfect to remove the swirls and add that extra bit of clarity and depth to the paint. The owner opted to have it coated with 22ple VX1 Pro Coating to ensure it has a durable, glossy layer of protection on it so that it will look great and stay protected for the next couple of years. These semi-permanent coatings are becoming quite popular, and I cannot recommend them enough! I use them on my own vehicles and absolutely love it.

Process
    Interior
    Vacuum
    Stain Removal (floor mats): CG Fabric Clean (20:1) then extracted with Bissel Pro Heat
    Dash/Trim/Leather: Cleaned and Protected with 303
    Glass: Invisible Glass
    Scent: CG Stripper Scent

Exterior
    Wheels: CG Diablo Gel (4:1) + various brushes
    Tires: Meg's D103 (10:1) + Tuf Shine Tire Brush
    Pre-Wash: Bug Splatter and Sap removed with CG Bug and Tar (6:1), Entire Car Foamed with CG Citrus Wash & Gloss
    Wash: CG Citrus Wash & Gloss (diluted to remove existing wax)
    Dry: DI Waffle Weave Microfiber Towels
    Clay: DI Fine Grade Clay
    Polish: Menzerna PF2500
    Protection: 22ple VX1 Pro Coating
    Wheels (Polish + Protect): CG Metal Polish + Protection (polished by hand)
    Tires (dressing): Meg's Endurance Gel
    Exhaust: CG Metal Polish + Protection
    Trim: 303
    Glass: Invisible Glass

Before
    Performing a more thorough inspection of the paint right after it was dropped off... I found spots of what appeared to be tree sap on the hood, rear quarter, and roof. There were also plenty of swirls to be seen, but luckily no major deep scratches for the most part.

During
    Since it was pretty cold and already getting dark when the vehicle was dropped off, I decided to put the washing off for the next afternoon, and began working on the interior instead. I began vacuuming the carpets, removing dirt, debris, and trash, but was not prepared for what I was going to find under the passenger seat. I pulled out 2 whole eggs... yup, eggs. Add that to the top of the "weirdest things ever found in a car" list.

I then focused on reviving the floor mats. Here is the passenger mat before... looks like there may be some egg residue on there, huh?

and here is that same mat after stain removal and hot water extraction. Much better!

Here is what my waste water tank looked like after extracting the dirt and stains from the floor mats. Black, dirty water... this is typical though.

The next afternoon I started off by washing the car... beginning with the wheels, of course. They were kept in pretty good shape.

A closer look revealed some built up dirt, brake dust, and light oxidation... nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of TLC.

I begin by cleaning the barrels of the wheels.

Next, I clean the faces with a very soft brush (pictured) and follow up with a soft sponge (dedicated for wheels only, of course - not pictured)

I then clean the calipers, lug nuts, and other small details with a 1.25" boars hair brush.

Finally, I scrub the tires with a tire brush.

Next, the car was foamed to help strip remaining wax and loosen any dirt on the surface of the car.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2001 Porsche 911 Turbo - Paint Correction, 22ple Application, Interior Detail

After washing, and stripping any previous wax or products that were on the paint, more swirls were revealed.

I then proceeded to decontaminate the paint with detailing clay to remove any bonded contaminates to ensure a smooth surface that is ready to be polished.

Once the car was decontaminated, I proceeded to tape off any trim or areas that needed to be protected during buffing and then performed my test spot. You can see that I was able to remove all of the swirls, leaving a clear, perfect looking finish.

A close up of the polished area. Love that metal flake!

Driver's Side Rear #1 before:

And after:

Driver's side rear #2 before:

And after:

50/50 shot on the rear wing.

Passenger Side Rear Before:

and after:

Here you can see the "pin hole" defects on the passenger door. This is typically a sign of a repainted panel and cannot be removed with buffing.

Polishing the fender.

Polishing the roof.

Even the tail lights needed some work. Here is a 50/50 of the right tail light.

Here is the right tail light all cleaned up.

Left tail light before:

And after:

After polishing was complete, I pulled the car out to inspect it in the daylight... I find it is best to inspect the paint in as many different lighting conditions as possible to ensure the car looks great in all cases!

After

Here is the completed interior... All cleaned up (floor mats not installed yet... still drying)

The wheels were hand polished and protected so that they look like new. Tires were dressed.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2001 Porsche 911 Turbo - Paint Correction, 22ple Application, Interior Detail

Here are a few shots of the car right after 22ple was applied... the gloss will continue to enhance over the 5 day curing time.

The next day, since the owner was not able to pick the car up for another couple of days, I decided to take advantage of the awesome sunny weather and take some glamour shots.

Post Thanks / Like

great job. Suprised to see a porsche with chrome rims. Isnt that more american than euro?
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job, looks saweeet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks spectacular. Love Porsches especially when they are cared for. Nice to see you using the Rupes.

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding job.

Post Thanks / Like

ive said this almost everytime youve posted a detail job and im going to say it again! 22ple has got to be the best looking coating ive seen. I will be looking into getting some for my car

Post Thanks / Like

Great job and thank you for posting the pictures and doing a step by step walk through. Excellent results were achieved, and the final shots were amazing. Which bissel pro heat do you have, could you post the model number or a picture when you get a chance. Much appreciated. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful work!!
    Great write up and photos as usual.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast