autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 19 of 142 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969119 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

Quote Originally Posted by pman626 View Post
    yes. i sprayed the headlights already. it turned out good. no mineral spirits required.

the trick to spraying is to not move the can too fast, or else it will not turn out clear.

The spray method involves too much prep work. I'm beginning to think that the water based can of spar would work just as well. Just use a paint brush to slap on a thick coat, then sand the layer smooth.
    As I said - I was not able to use spray

and yes, it took me like a 30 min to tape newspapers around each headlight - isn't easy for angle lights
    but, mix spar with minerals and apply it took me may be 5 - 10 min and I got way more control over what I do this way. While spray has to be faster, but not for me.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried spraying, it just takes too much time and the over-spray risk is too much. Once you get the wipe method down it goes quick. I am doing them for car dealers and they have said as long as they have been in the business they have never seen these look better. One dealer called his Granddaughter and had her bring in her Volkswagen for me to do. He liked it that much.

Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clearviewtn View Post
    I tried spraying, it just takes too much time and the over-spray risk is too much. Once you get the wipe method down it goes quick. I am doing them for car dealers and they have said as long as they have been in the business they have never seen these look better. One dealer called his Granddaughter and had her bring in her Volkswagen for me to do. He liked it that much.

Gotta love responces like that ...how much per pair are you doing them for?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wills.WindowsAndWheels View Post
    Gotta love responces like that ...how much per pair are you doing them for?
    I'm getting $25 per pair but doing 4-6 at a time. This is a part-time business for me, I still have my full time job I go to at 3pm

Post Thanks / Like

I'm getting $25 per pair but doing 4-6 at a time. This is a part-time business for me, I still have my full time job I go to at 3pm
    Is this strictly for the dealerships? How long does it take you for 1 pair? For $25/pair, you'd be a fool to pass that up, IMHO.
    Mobile headlight restoration in the Oklahoma City area www.okcheadlights.com www.facebook.com/OKC.Headlights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g35_coupe View Post
    Is this strictly for the dealerships? How long does it take you for 1 pair? For $25/pair, you'd be a fool to pass that up, IMHO.
    Wow yeah $25 a pair is cheap for all the steps needed...i go for $50/pair but for a dealership id probably do $40 if i was getting 4-6 at a time...but hey sounds like your getting a lot of business and doing a great job so cant complain about that

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by feslope View Post
    I'm a little confused here. Why not apply it like the solvent based version? Is there a reason why the water based version won't go on thin and smooth?

you could probably use the same rag method. you would need to thin it with water.
    I dunno how durable that would be though.

the spray method allows me to spray on a thicker coat with no streaks or anything.

it literally took me less than 1 minute to finish spraying a headlight.

it's the taping that takes more time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikek753 View Post
    it took me like a 30 min to tape newspapers around each headlight - isn't easy for angle lights.
    30 minutes is way too slow. the tape doesn't have to be exact.

it only took me 5 minutes to tape around each light, and that's because i was using packaging tape and cutting them in half. If i used regular masking tape, it would've been faster..
    and my lights are huge and curvy.

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't take that long to tape around the lights. Besides, on a car like the Camry in the photo, you don't have to mask the hood, only open it, put a big rag or some paper in there and close the hood, then wrap around the hood edge! Takes about 15 seconds, and half the masking is done.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

In Knoxville Tennessee $20-$25 per set is actually a good rate to get from dealerships because there were some fools around here doing them for $10 but they did no masking and left the dealers with overspray and compound to remove, basically had to re-detail the cars. I am very careful and cover them as if I were going to spray anyway because of the wetsanding sling and compound. Most of the big dealerships have a guy on the lot doing paint touch up and refinishing headlights, but the smaller 30 cars or less dealers are my main target right now.

Retail I get $40

Just did a trade with a sign shop. They lettered up my truck and I did the headlights on their work van. That's one way to save money!

Post Thanks / Like

In Knoxville Tennessee $20-$25 per set is actually a good rate to get from dealerships because there were some fools around here doing them for $10 but they did no masking and left the dealers with overspray and compound to remove, basically had to re-detail the cars. I am very careful and cover them as if I were going to spray anyway because of the wetsanding sling and compound. Most of the big dealerships have a guy on the lot doing paint touch up and refinishing headlights, but the smaller 30 cars or less dealers are my main target right now.

Retail I get $40

Just did a trade with a sign shop. They lettered up my truck and I did the headlights on their work van. That's one way to save money!

Nice...gotta love bartering. I should probably hit up the smaller car dealerships around me for headlights as well...did you print up some pictures to show them or did you just give them a pitch?

Page 19 of 142 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969119 ... LastLast